Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do most of you diet?

I had my surgery 6 months ago and have lost 40 pounds with 7 of that being pre surgery. My question is, do most of you follow a diet plan or do you eat whatever you want but just less of it? Also do most of you exercise? I would set up a poll but I don't know how to. I guess I thought with the band I would just be able to eat whatever I wanted but I would be eating a lot less of it and therefore I would lose weight.

I seem fairly restricted during the day although I am able to eat more then I think I should. And at night I can eat what seems like a lot to me and I don't think I get that "full feeling". I am going for another fill on Wednesday, my 4th, and the doc says that if that doesn't do the trick, I will have to see their Nutritionist.

Somebody speak to me!!! LOL

Thanks

Chris

There is a post that I think might help you. Go to the SUPPORT board. The post is "Tight in the morning, starving at night" by Donali.

Hope this helps!

You've averaged 5.5# a month since surgery so don't despair! That is not bad at all!

Good Luck to you!

Debra

As to your poll, I personally don't diet, though I may start soon.

I exercise by walking a mile and a half on the treadmill daily, averaging 3.5 miles per hour. I've lost 46 pounds and I'm six months out.

Nancy

You might keep a log of what you are eating.

Are you eating your Protein 1st? then your vegs?

Diet does count, eating a high calorie diet doesn't work you can eat alot of soft cakes and pies and not loose a thing

Marie

10/06/2003

247/194/?:D

Hi Chris,

I've also lost 40 lbs in 6 months. I'm very happy with that! Here's my thinking about dieting, though of course your mileage may vary.

I hate dieting. Donali's take on eating healthy is, for me, much more satisfying and sensible. Every day is precious to me and my family, and I'm not going to waste time hating myself for being unable to subsist on lean chicken and celery. The other night DH and I went out to dinner, and we shared a cold antipasto plate and I had a bowl of Pasta fagiole Soup. That was plenty for dinner. Then we went elsewhere for dessert, and rather than sit and watch him have key lime pie, I ordered dessert as well. I couldn't eat the whole thing, but what I could eat I absolutely loved.

My priority is being sane and as happy as possible. Losing weight is adding greatly to my overall happiness indeed, and I'm not going to risk that with a lot of negative self-talk and self-imposed discipline. I already know I can't diet, witness 30 years of failed attempts, so I'm certainly not going to start now. Eating LESS is my current focus, and I've got help on that score. And it's working!

Hi Chris -

I DEFNITELY don't diet.

However, that being said, it's important to make a distinction between eating whatever you want (which I do) and eating ONLY non-nutritious foods.

To some people, eating whatever they want, just less of it, means they eat nothing but high fat, high sugar, high-glycemic index foods. That is not going to support your health, and most people do not lose weight on an eating plan like that.

So when I say I eat whatever I want, I mean that most of the time I choose high quality Proteins, veggies, and then starches as room allows. But if I'm really dying to have something else less nutritious, I have it. Or if there is something readily available that I like, I have it if I want. But I do not subsist on these foods, and I always have in the back of my mind "protein first, then veggies, then...." I don't always eat that way, but the mantra is always there, and most of the time I follow it.

Hope this helps.

I try to watch what I eat, but, do not diet per say, I try to watch my carbs. I thought when I got the band that, that would make me lose weight, no matter what I ate. Now granted, I have lost 39, but, I have had the band for 6 months. I know a guy that had his done a week after me and has lost 80 pounds, but he works out 3 times a week and diets too. Personally for me, if a diet had worked, I wouldn't have gotten the lap band, but, I admire his willpower. Of course, after a while your metabolism slows, and it is almost impossible to eat whatever you want. I just had my 3rd adjustment this past week and can't get solids down right now, so I assume I will lose more, but, then gain it back when I can eat solids again. Just be reasonable, you'll lose more eating healthy even if M&M's go down better lol

Chris

I struggled with the whole dieting thing as well. After being at 3.4cc's it seems that I can not eat whatever I want....now it seems that I can only eat what I can! The impression that I received before being banded was I was to only eat 4oz and make healthy choices.. I would say once you are properly restricted you will see a big difference!!!!

Hope this helps!

Birdee

No Dieting here either. I just eat what I can tolerate. Most of the time its not much. So during days that I feel looser I tend to eat more , as much as I can.

Guest Dionne

I'm just about 8 weeks out from surgery, 25 lbs down, and have had one fill. I find that I do still have to take control, not so much WHAT I eat, but HOW OFTEN I eat. It's really hard to stick with 3 small meals. So yes, I diet to some extent.

Im 2 months out and i confess that i diet. I do not eat sweets, i do not eat bread, pastas, rices and i try to avoid high carb foods. I quited fruit juices also. i want or lets

say i need, to be on my goal in one year! i don't wanna be miserable anymore..

i did a surgery for weight loss and i took a risk, i spend money for the band so i think

i must do something too.. this is how i feel and its only my opinion..

i must work also with the band .. not let only the band work for me.

Donali summed up my answer perfectly.

I don't diet - eat what I like, but at the same time, keep it semi healthy. If I want something, I have it.

I do try to get to the gym 4-5 times per week, my schedule permitting.

I didn't pay $17,650.00 to diet! I've changed my eating habits and choices, but I don't plan on ever dieting again, as long as I have my trusty little band.