Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my barium swallow

For those who are keeping tabs, I had an endoscopy and complete unfill in mid-March to deal with a relentless and intense bout of reflux. My surgeon suggested that my esophagus might be dilated or otherwise compromised, and ordered a barium swallow as a follow-up. My GERD symptoms were relieved by the unfill and Prevacid, and since then I've been feeling fine.

This morning was the barium test. For those who have not had one, it's a more-involved version of the fluoroscopy exam many doctors use to do fills. They took a LOT of pictures, both still and moving, and I must have swallowed more than 16 oz. of barium (insert barf smiley here).

Bottom line is that everything is FINE!! The radiologist said my esophagus looked a little "prominent" but that's not uncommon in bandsters, and it is indeed doing its job. She noticed that the band isn't as tight as she would have expected, and I explained that it was empty.

I still feel plenty of restriction, and am in no hurry to change anything. So thank the powers that be, I'm good to go!!

Thanks for everyone's support and caring. LBT rocks! :rockon:

Alex,

I'm so glad to hear the good news. And I can't imagine drinking 16 oz of the barium stuff. I just had my first taste of that nasty stuff on Monday after my surgery and I don't even want to think about drinking any more of that than what I had then. BIG YUCK!

Just glad you got some good news!

Audra

What a relief! I'm so glad you got more good news.

This is just another confirmation for me to work with the fill I have. I could probably tweek my fill and go a tad tighter, but I can still PB with the best of them if I'm not careful, it's just up to me to choose foods that keep me satisfied and away from a junky food "binge". I have a sore throat but I think it's allergies/sinus. It feels a bit like a reflux problem though, so I'm doing my Aloe Vera juice and Tums/Prilosec on occasion, just in case. Anyway, point is, imagine if I were tighter! I hate to think. Too tight is miserable. And if I work my band properly, I have good restriction, so why fill more and cause problems? I'm not borrowing trouble, that's for sure! Thanks for the encouragement you gave me, even if you didn't mean to! ;)

Congrats on the good news.

That is very good new Alex - What a relief for you that everything is ok.

Hello Alex! Gald you are ok. Im 5 weeks out now and I really cant even think about a fill. I can only eat so much and get filled really fast. Sometimes I get Pain (I need to eat slower) Sometimes I will get heartburn (yeaterdays salad with tomatoes) but other that that im doing ok. My weight has gone from 244 to 217 (today im 222, no idea how) Maybe I need a BM. Anyway Im really worried about getting that first fill. Do I really need one? My diet is pretty good, the am is 4-6 oz of yogurt or cottage cheese, lunch is 4-6 oz of tuna, chicken and a steamed veg. dinner is chicken/fish, salad, veg. granted I can only eat a little. Cnat even finish my plate. I have added cheese, crackers, salad and fruit now. It just seems that every thing I eat fills me up so quick. Is this expected at 5 weeks? thanks!

Alex, I am so happy to hear everything went fine.

I was just going to call u and see how things went today.. when I stumbled upon your update here.

I want to be there when Dr Gloom and Doom finds out you were right and he was all pessimistic for no reason ;)

I am doing a happy dance for you. :huggie: :drum: :):dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Weather looks good for this weekend. Maybe the park again?????

Talk to you later

AWESOME!!!

and I must have swallowed more than 16 oz. of barium (insert barf smiley here).

just a funny FYI the barium will likely make your next few BM's WHITE like alien poo :phanvan also one of the nurses told me it would glow under a black light...NO I DIDNT TRY IT!!!!

oh and it will probably make you constipated so double up on Fiber...

That is great news!

That's awesome news!!! Thanks for keeping us updated, Alex! Doin' the happy dance!!! ;)

(Glow in the dark poo? I might just have to check! LOL)

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Alex, thats Great! I'm soooo glad for you! That Barium stuff sounds nasty, but hey if thats watcha gotta do to make sure that everything is a-okay, I'm all for glow in the dark poo!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: !

Congrats!! Glad everything was a-okay!! I didn't know it would glow! Cool! But I do know that it will set up like concrete in the bowels if you don't drink plenty of fluids til all the alien poo is gone! So drink up!

Excellent news! I love it when I see positive posts. Makes me feel . . . well, positive! Thanks for the lift!

I'm always interested when I see people getting an unfill and still feel restriction, or an unfill, and partial refill with the same or better restriction. I always wonder if it has to do with the excess stomach tissue folding on itself at the stoma. Maybe it folded differently and took up more space, maybe it just got irritated and slightly swollen. Who knows. One of the great mysteries I'll likely never know the reason for! Ramble, ramble. Sorry Alex - CONGRATS on your good news!

G-g-g-g-low in the dark? Poo? Oh. my. god. My daughters would have a FIELD DAY with that!!! :pound: :pound:

Thanks, everyone. It is wonderful indeed to be told that all the intimations of a slip or esophageal dysfunction were for naught. Movin' on!!