Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiding The Lap Band From Others And General Advice For A Newbie

Hi,

This is my first post!

I am getting banded on dec 17th - I have done a ton of research and am absolutely certain of this decision. I have also made the decision to not share the fact that i'm getting banded with EVERYONE. There are certain friends who would not only object, but hold it over me and make me feel inferior or like there is something "wrong" with me cos i need a band (i know, why are they my friends right? not the point though)

The extremely slow eating, tiny bites, possible "stuck" or burp/slime episodes..... i know these things happen if u aren't careful which i plan on being, but i also know it can easily happen if you're not thinking for a split second and swallow too much etc.

Does anyone have any advice on ways around drawing attention to the 'weird' eating habits i will have to adopt?

My circle of people know i am always on some kind of diet/food restriction thing.... so i was thinking of just playing this up and being like "yeah i just wanna eat waaaaay less and try to lose weight that way" OR always choose Soups or easy to swallow foods from the menu.

This won't be a common thing, it will be like, once every couple weeks or so for dinners.

Again, i really don't need people telling me to not be afraid to tell everyone, or that my friends are a**holes.... i just want to know tips on how to hide it from certain people.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to this whole journey!

It's a personal choice. If you don't want to disclose it to some I would suggest not telling anyone except someone you trust with your life. I wasnt going to tell anyone but it was too hard to explain why i was on liquids during holiday parties so I just decided to come clean. The Support was overwhelming... It made me that much more motivated.

I am only telling my husband, and I was banded almost two weeks ago. Before I was banded, I told everyone, work - friends - family - that I was going on this outrageous Portion Control limited calorie diet. And I went on it, a couple of weeks before the surgery. Made a point of showing everyone how I plan to eat from now on. Seems to be working so far.

It's a personal choice. If you don't want to disclose it to some I would suggest not telling anyone except someone you trust with your life. I wasnt going to tell anyone but it was too hard to explain why i was on liquids during holiday parties so I just decided to come clean. The Support was overwhelming... It made me that much more motivated.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i'm just not in the position to trust certain people. I'm 29 and it's not very "cool" to some of the shallow circles of the field i am in, so i just can't. My husband, immediate family, and in laws know and are very supportive. But certain circles, absolutely not.

Thanks and good luck!

I am only telling my husband, and I was banded almost two weeks ago. Before I was banded, I told everyone, work - friends - family - that I was going on this outrageous Portion Control limited calorie diet. And I went on it, a couple of weeks before the surgery. Made a point of showing everyone how I plan to eat from now on. Seems to be working so far.

Brilliant.

This is kinda along the lines i was thinking. I thought if i said i was on a portion control diet where i also eliminate certain foods altogether and chew slow to make meals longer i could mask it. Cos they are all ideas that have floated around before to help people with weight loss.

Thank you!

Also tell them you are trying gluten free.....that way no one suggest you just try a little of this or a little of that. (There is gluten in so many things)!

I am 2 months post op and apart from the pre op diet and 2 week post op on liquids, I don't have new weird eating habits. I can sit at a table with anyone and eat almost anything being served. I just make sure I chew well, make healthy choices and stay to 1cup per meal.

Also tell them you are trying gluten free.....that way no one suggest you just try a little of this or a little of that. (There is gluten in so many things)!

Very true!!

I am 2 months post op and apart from the pre op diet and 2 week post op on liquids, I don't have new weird eating habits. I can sit at a table with anyone and eat almost anything being served. I just make sure I chew well, make healthy choices and stay to 1cup per meal.

And you have never been "stuck" or have a band related reaction? Wow that would be heaven. I hope that i will be able to exist this way with the band! I have just read so many people talk about some of the difficulties that i am trying to prepare for the worst.

You have had no fills? Are you losing weight?

Thanks

A couple things, first, remember this is your choice and don't ever feel bad about hiding it. You don't owe anyone any explanations for your eating habits. Maybe someday you'll be comfortable sharing the fact you're banded, but for now, do what makes you happy.

As far as eating with others. Honestly, if you're careful to chew thoroughly and take small bites, you'll be just fine. I eat out rather often and only once have I ever had an issue. It was totally my fault, too. I didn't chew nearly enough and wasn't paying attention to what I was eating all.

You'll learn what works best with your band, what gives you trouble, and you can always eat publicly accordingly.

It really isn't hard to hide at all. At least I don't think so.

A couple things, first, remember this is your choice and don't ever feel bad about hiding it. You don't owe anyone any explanations for your eating habits. Maybe someday you'll be comfortable sharing the fact you're banded, but for now, do what makes you happy.

As far as eating with others. Honestly, if you're careful to chew thoroughly and take small bites, you'll be just fine. I eat out rather often and only once have I ever had an issue. It was totally my fault, too. I didn't chew nearly enough and wasn't paying attention to what I was eating all.

You'll learn what works best with your band, what gives you trouble, and you can always eat publicly accordingly.

It really isn't hard to hide at all. At least I don't think so.

Music to my ears. Thank you for your reply! Although i am very clear about doing this surgery, i was a little apprehensive of certain things when in social situations.

Good to hear it's not necessarily as difficult to hide as some have experienced!

Thanks again!

Dreamers, you sound so much like me. and your questions were awesome.

The best part of this site is learning from what others learn.

I don't have a date yet, but hopefully around mid Dec. Also.

Dreamers, you sound so much like me. and your questions were awesome.

The best part of this site is learning from what others learn.

I don't have a date yet, but hopefully around mid Dec. Also.

Hey!

Wonderful to meet you! I don't know what i would do without this site.... it's helped get me from thinking about getting the band to almost fully prepared for what to expect.

Good luck with your journey and i hope we can be of further assistance to each other in future!

Oh geez, you are from NY. Are you a yankees fan? I'm from Boston!

Can this friendship ever have a future?????!!!!!! : )