Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I scheduled my first appointment toward the lapband surgery. I believe this 4 hr appointment is with a surgeon and other staff, I have no idea what to expect . Is it possible to control the amount of weight loss? How long does it take to get a surgery date? What happens during presurgery, post surgery etc? I would appreciate anyinfo, suggestions, tips etc.

Thank you,

Debbie

Debbie, I'm right there with you wondering the same. Hope you don't mind I'm following your thread and hoping someone comes up with some answers!

I wish there was a thread somewhere on here that specifically answered those questions :)

OK... lapband basics...

1. Buy the book by Jean McMillan and read it cover to cover! (an unpaid commercial)
  2. The amount of weight you lose varies by person, but you doc should be able to help you set a reasonable goal.
  3. Many docs have a pre-surgery diet to help shrink your liver, some don't
  4. Start NOW with trying and tasting various Protein Shakes. You will be on them from 2-3 weeks post surgery, so sample now and be stocked up on you favorites before surgery. I have found several that are very good. The powders are cheaper in the long run. Nashua Nutrition allows you to order samples. http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html?_vsrefdom=google1&gclid=CIzH54m1nLMCFQWe4AodV2kA0Q
  5. Also start now with lapband eating protocols. Nothing to drink 30 minutes before eating, nothing to drink with meals, nothing to drink for 30 minutes after eating.
  6. Chew, chew chew with very small bites. This will help prevent stuck food episodes with the band, and it gives your body time to send you the "full" signals before you overeat.
  7. After surgery, you may have gas pains in your upper chest and back. Walk, walk, walk! I found that windmilling arms while walking helped with the gas.
  8. Recovery is not as bad as you might imagine. My surgery was outpatient and took less than 45 minutes.
  9. Ask you doc NOW about port size. There are two, one is shallower than the other and will not protrude as much once you have lost weight.
  10. Follow all doctors orders and do not be hesitant to call in with questions. That is what you are paying for.
  11. Keep posting and asking your questions here. You will find a lot of support and great ideas.

We have all been where you are now, and this is a caring and giving group. Best wishes! If you have specific questions, ask them.

THANK YOU ChezNoel for all of that info! I will have to check out the book :)

Good morning and thank you so very much for the advice ChezNoel. I will purchase the book today. Can you please expalin to me that you mean by "port"? Good luck Lyndeboo and keep following, as I plan to share every step I take thru this thread.

Port: small (approx 1 inch diameter) button like device which is attached by tubing to your lapband. This is how the doctor will add or subtract liquid from your band as needed. This is also called a "Fill" or and "unfill." The added liquid in the band will make it tighter around your upper stomach and reduce the amount of food you can eat before you feel full. The port is generally place against the abdominal muscles just below the skin. This is so that it can be easily located for the fill procedures. Not to scare you off, but you need to know that fills are done using a needle inserted through the skin into the membrane on the port. There are two port profiles, one is taller than the other and may protrude more. I asked for the lower profile port since I am a "figitter" and was afraid the higher profile would cause me to rub it all the time. Turned out not to be a problem, I rarely think about now that I am 1 year out from surgery. BANDWAGON® is where I found the book! Keep it up you asking good questions!