Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction Is A Lot Less After 4.5 Days Post Op - Is This Normal ?

The first day...I can barely get Water down. 2 days ago I was able to drink Soups...Now...it seems I can drink a lot more gatorade and Water with no problems. Is this normal? It seems almost that I can get anything down...but something tells me I shouldn't be this flexible with Fluid.

Just want to be careful...as I ate some small pit of mash potatoes and it melted in my mouth so I didn't think it was a problem. Please don't stone me if this was terrible....

P.S. I just feel I should have more resctriction than this but maybe this is normal.

Thoughts?

I had surgery on Thursday and I am having the same thing. I was craving real food so I actually ate. No vomiting. I only ate a few bites though. I kinda ruined the diet by getting Starbucks after a meeting though :( I noticed with me I can hold way more now than last few days.

I had surgery on the 12th, I was the same way but now I can eat 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes and drink my tea all day. I still have much restriction, just not like I did day 1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using LapBandTalk

I just have this feeling in the back of my throat area that is a little sore. Not too bad though. So with this...on top of being able to drink a lot more liquids...just wanting to know if I I should be concerned. I'm drinking now...almost like I have no band in me. I feel a very small restriction now....if any....

Thoughts?

I have a crappy feeling deep in my throat... Reflux, indigestion, I'm not sure - I've never had either. As for restriction, I wouldn't be concerned as far as having a problem with it. All doctors are different. Mine puts a small amount of Fluid in during surgery, so maybe that could be the difference between you and I? When is your first fill? Stick to whatever post op diet you're on and try to take it easy (food wise) until a fill! =)

I have a crappy feeling deep in my throat... Reflux, indigestion, I'm not sure - I've never had either. As for restriction, I wouldn't be concerned as far as having a problem with it. All doctors are different. Mine puts a small amount of Fluid in during surgery, so maybe that could be the difference between you and I? When is your first fill? Stick to whatever post op diet you're on and try to take it easy (food wise) until a fill! =)

Thanks FallonB !!!

well mkb, i think that feeling in your throat is because of the swelling and maybe eating foods too soon after surgery. i know the maj of people with bands are on liquids for one to 2 weeks post op including myself. .you really need to let the insides heal and try to hold off on (foods) until the instructions that the dr gave you say its ok to move to mushies and or soft foods. congrats on your surgery though :)

ps i love starbux too

I'm 7 days post op and what I would give to be able to drink Water the way I want to. I'm so full on my water, I find it hard to have my 3 meals and being there only 1/4 to 1/2cup meals.

I work more on my Protein Shakes (4oz) one in am & pm. Yesterday I was able to eat 1/4 c watered down grits and it was good.

Just thinking of mash potatoes makes me full.lol

Best to you all and yes, follow your given diets!

I had my surgery a few days ago and I just started my full liquids yesterday.

I find I get hungry about every 2.5 hours. My dr. told me to divide my Protein drink in thirds and spread it out over the day. I can fill in the gaps with 1/4 to 1/2 cup cream Soups, Jello, yogurt drinks and watered down cream of wheat but nothing with lumps.

I will be on full liquids for a couple of weeks then on to pureed foods.

Try not to eat mushy foods too soon as your stomach is still healing and you dont want to do anything to harm your band or your stomach.

Lots of luck on your journey to a healthier life !

Except for in the first week post-op, when your upper GI tract is irritated and swollen from surgery, it should never, ever be difficult to drink Clear Liquids.

A sore throat after surgery is probably from the breathing tube put down your throat during surgery.

Everyone: please follow your surgeon's & dietitian's post-op eating progression. Cheating is a really bad idea, especially when you're still healing from surgery.

Except for in the first week post-op' date=' when your upper GI tract is irritated and swollen from surgery, it should never, ever be difficult to drink Clear liquids.

A sore throat after surgery is probably from the breathing tube put down your throat during surgery.

Everyone: please follow your surgeon's & dietitian's post-op eating progression. Cheating is a really bad idea, especially when you're still healing from surgery.[/quote']

Thanks Jean!

I'm getting in 48oz of Water, but it keeps me so full. Hopefully now I'm 1wk out it will get easier. I have always been someone who stays swollen longer than most. Plus even though I sip, I might be sipping too frequently. Is that possible?

well mkb, i think that feeling in your throat is because of the swelling and maybe eating foods too soon after surgery. i know the maj of people with bands are on liquids for one to 2 weeks post op including myself. .you really need to let the insides heal and try to hold off on (foods) until the instructions that the dr gave you say its ok to move to mushies and or soft foods. congrats on your surgery though :)

ps i love starbux too

It wasnt me with the sore throat. I ate last night because I wanted some real normal food. I felt fine after eating it. I took only a few bites though but sure as hell feeling it this morning :( I guess I thought since I was able to eat eggs and oatmeal no problem that I would be able to eat anything. Big mistake but definitely learned I need to stick with the diet list! But yeah. Starbucks I ordered a kids size so didnt feel too guilty but same time dont want to think of the calorie count!!!

It wasnt me with the sore throat. I ate last night because I wanted some real normal food. I felt fine after eating it. I took only a few bites though but sure as hell feeling it this morning :( I guess I thought since I was able to eat eggs and oatmeal no problem that I would be able to eat anything. Big mistake but definitely learned I need to stick with the diet list! But yeah. Starbucks I ordered a kids size so didnt feel too guilty but same time dont want to think of the calorie count!!!

well, just hang in there sweetums

you are doing GREAT

Thanks Jean!

I'm getting in 48oz of Water, but it keeps me so full. Hopefully now I'm 1wk out it will get easier. I have always been someone who stays swollen longer than most. Plus even though I sip, I might be sipping too frequently. Is that possible?

I was told to drink one ounce of liquid every 15 minutes. I used a timer to stick to that schedule for about one day, but gave up timing it because one ounce every 15 minutes was how much and how often I'd drink anyway.

I don't think there's anything downright harmful about drinking more or faster as a new post-op, but if it makes you uncomfortable or causes you to regurgitate the liquid, go back to slow sipping.

I was told to drink one ounce of liquid every 15 minutes. I used a timer to stick to that schedule for about one day' date=' but gave up timing it because one ounce every 15 minutes was how much and how often I'd drink anyway.

I don't think there's anything downright harmful about drinking more or faster as a new post-op, but if it makes you uncomfortable or causes you to regurgitate the liquid, go back to slow sipping.[/quote']

Thanks again Jean!

Love having a real pro to help me.

Uncomfortable yes, regurgitating no.

Just thankful I like Water and I don't have to force myself to drink it. I'm going to try timer for awhile and see how it goes.

((((Hugs))))