Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disheartened about sizes

I was banded about two and a half years ago, and I've lost about 115 pounds. I also had a lower body lift last summer. At 185 pounds, I'm STILL a size 18. It's so frustrating, and I'm getting more and more depressed about it. I have a friend who weighs the same as me and wears a size 12!! I know that all bodies are different, and everyone carries their weight differently, but I'm really starting to get depressed, thinking that no matter how much weight I lose, I'm still going to be huge.

Is there anyone else out there who's weight and size don't seem to match up?

girl, i weigh 254 and in an 18/20. everyone is different, don't be discouraged, Celebrate your weightloss. I can't wait until i start losing weight. I was banded 3/3/06 and go for my first fill on 4/6/06.

I can wear a size 12 at 180 lbs. That is the goal I'm setting for myself when I get banded. I'm 5'9" though. It makes a difference whether you are short or tall, or where you happen to carry your weight. The important thing is you are losing...good for you.

I bet after that LBL the clothes look so much better on you though? DO not concentrate on clothes sizes ever, they are so innacurrate.

Cut yourself some slack, I bet you look bloody awesome!!!

Oh wow! I was just whining to my sister about this the other day. I'm 5'6, 205 lbs, and I'm still firmly in a size 20. I tried on a pair of 18's the other day and I was at least 15 lbs away from fitting into them.

I really do get that we're all built different, and I have a much smaller chest than most "women of substance" (lol), but sometimes when I read about women on here who can fit into a size 20 at 285 lbs it makes me do a double take.

I do think you'll see a quick drop in sizes as you go through the lower weights, but it's true that some of us just weren't built to ever be a size 6 (or 8, or 10...). :confused:

Hips are good... really. And I would about kill to be into a size 18. *sigh*

Hugs! You will get where you need to be. Not everyone can be a size 4. And if somehow they all could, suddenly men would find size 18 to be the most sexy and appealing. It is the nature of humans to want something different than we have.

:]

It sounds like you are doing really great. You've come an incredibly long way by taking off all the weight you have. I'm looking forward to being a size 18. Instead of comparing yourself to other people, compare yourself to where you started and give yourself a huge pat on the back.

I'm 5'5" and 183-185 these days and still in an 18. They are loose (the ones I have anyway) but I still can't get into a 16. It's the lower-belly-I-could-use-a-tummy-tuck that's keeping me in an 18, but even then, my butt and thighs are substantial enough that a 14 would be SLENDER for me! My 14 is someone else's size 8. Okay, 10 or 12! LOL Anyhow, I know how you feel. Curves are yummy!!!!! (keep saying that :confused: )

Sizes are so crazy....I am 5'7" and you can see my weight below and I wear mostly size 18 pants. My shirt size is usually 1x or a generous xl. However, tonight I bought a pair of size 16 gauchos. Can you believe it! I have a pair of 14 I can almost wear and a pair of 22W that are still too tight. Whatever....I give up. Sizes are not universal and neither are body types. When I was over 300 lbs I thought I would like to be a size 16. Not anymore. What size would a 5'7" person weighing 150 wear???? Anybody???

I remember when I was skinny and weighed in at 180 and i am 5'9 1/2" and I was wearing a size 13-14 sometimes a 15 but 16 was too big. What I would do to weigh that again and have that size clothes on my body again! But your right we are all different shaped body size so who knows what size anyone should weigh.

:) :confused: Wow? And you had a Lower Body Lift? I always think if I'd have had one (didn't really qualify but it was a great thought) that I'd be much, much smaller.

Amazingly, I only lost about 51#-53# (depending on the day and my cycle) but I lost more than 4 clothes sizes - I went from a 22/24 Tall about down to a solid 16W or so. But I had tons of ab flab to get rid of, so I didn't look great in any size.

Then I had the Tummy Tuck 13 wks ago (didn't really lose any weight) and managed to go down a size. Now I normally wear a regular size 14/16 (not a womens size 16W anymore) or a 14W. That is a huge improvement, and I'm grateful.

But there are still stores I long to shop in that I can just start to squeeze into now (Bebe Sport, BCBG ) and tons of places I can't find clothes from (like the dressier Bebe). Plus there are still brands that I can't wear - the upscale designer jeans from Seven From All Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, Chip and Pepper - etc... They only go up to size 9 or 10 (Grrrr...;) )

Hopefully after some weight loss, a Boob Lift and Lipo (basically, I'll be like "The Six Million Dollar" woman by the time I finish reconstructive surgery) I'll get closer!

Happy Band Journeys to All

That's me to a degree. I'm just "big boned". I have a girlfriend the same height as me, 5ft 10, who weighs about the same as I do now and is two entire sizes smaller, an Australian 14. Now sizes are bigger than they were 10 years ago when I was 85kg for sure, but we've always had this discrepancy between our sizes. Its just different bodies.

She has legs like tree trunks :confused: No knees, no ankles, her legs are huge and just go straight up and down, she's as narrow at the bum as she is at the ankles. I however have a bounteous bootie. I'm definitely pear shaped. I have boobs and a waist, she doesnt, she's quite flat chested, but thick through the waist. She looks smaller than me, no doubt there's a significant difference in muscle to fat ratios too between us, I'd say I have more fat.

It seems to take me forever to move through a size. Its taken over 15kg to really go down one dress size, but visibly that one size has made a huge difference. I also know that when I weighed a healthy 70kg which is in the middle of my healthy weight range, I was still "big". Not as much as I am now, but I will never be petite, I'm not one of those tall supermodel types. I think my skeleton alone would be at least an Australian 14.

im 5'6" and at 200, I could still fit a size fourteen and had a 33-34 inch waist, however, i had really muscular legs. Now, at 245 i am a size 18

I guess (amazing as seems to me) that I'm one of those people who fit into the smaller sizes! This is what being 5'10" does for you.

It's meaningless, really. There's an article in the paper today about clothing sizes and how the non-uniformity is all a ploy to foster brand loyalty. They figure if you finally learn what size you are in a particular line of clothing, that's the brand you'll stick with.

And you know what? They're right. :)