Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared Out Of My Mind!

Got a phone call last night. I was approved, which should be exciting news except there are a lot of tricks to this. Since my doctors have been prolonging things, my insurance is up on my birthday October 31. This is the COMPLETE cut off date for Tricare. They are trying for surgery the 23rd. With no pre opt diet. Is this going to work? And if it does..... I won't have insurance until November after the surgery. Is this a bad idea? Should I just forget having the surgery? But if I don't have it, that's 8 months that I waisted away planning for this day. I'm so confused and alone right now!!!! I'm going crazy!! Not to mention, I have NO MORE TIME OFF left at work. Could I go back to work during recovery? I only work 4- 5 hours a day during the week as a bank teller.

GIRL!!! GO FOR IT! It is so hard to get approved through your insurance for this surgery nowdays. I say go for it. I missed my chance for some sort of surgery once upon a time... it took 20 yrs to get approved again! And it wasn't something I could afford on my own. I hope you go for it! You should be glad your Dr. is willing to do it without doing the pre-op diet! It will be a struggle in some ways, but how bad do you want this????

HERE IN HOUSTON, CHEERING YOU ON!!! Let us know!

Oh thank you for encouragement. That's something I need right now, I'm going to see how far it goes. If it doesn't happen I'll know it wasn't meant to be. Thank you so much!!!!!

Go for it! I didn't do a pre-op diet, my doctor didn't feel I needed to. If you doctor feels it is okay to go forth the trust him/her. I had surgery on a Friday and I was fine by the next Wed to be back at work- I sit a lot.

Go for it, you can pre-op diet yourself if you want to, a few days of liquids before surgery. But do you mean you won't have insurance again until November 2013? Or just a month after your surgery? If not to 2013 then do you have the money for fills and follow up? That's as important as the surgery, good fills and follow up.

So if you have insurance as of 11/12, or the $$ to get fills and follow up, then go for it! If no insurance and no $ for fills and follow up, it's up to you- you might still have the surgery and then have to wait a year to truly get the benefit.

But don't worry about the pre-op diet, for sure!

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Nicki

Oh, and I have a very sedentary job, and I had surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. I was wiped out by the end of the day, but at about 8 days out (so I'd been working 4 days or so) I felt like normal. You should be fine.

Oh' date=' and I have a very sedentary job, and I had surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. I was wiped out by the end of the day, but at about 8 days out (so I'd been working 4 days or so) I felt like normal. You should be fine.[/quote']

Thanks, you guys have really motivated me. I will have insurance again at the end of nov 2012 so that's the least of my worries. Just really worried about how fast surgery and appointments are going to fly by and I still have to work. My co workers secretly know what I'm going thru so they will work with me without letting my manager know. :-)

Kime-Lou I was mostly worried about pre opt diet but now you have eased my mind! :-) thanks!!! I really needed to hear that!

I'd go for it. And I didn't do a pre op diet, either. I only had to stop eating completely 24 hours before surgery, that's it.

You've come so far, jumped through all their hoops to get approved, and waited all these months. I'd totally do it while you can.

If I wanted bad enough I would do it. Let the chips fall where they may. I doubt you would have serious complicaitons becasue you didnt do th epre op...as long as your Dr is ok with it.

I dont think you could go back to work on the next day... but a few days after you should be fine.

Best of luck

I agree with the others. GO for it!! If the Doc is confident and you trust him then it's go time. Start a liquid diet right now it will only help make the Surgeon's job easier.

I did see your response, and I say GO FOR IT!! Good luck, you'll do great!

I didn't have a pre-op diet. My Dr. wanted me to try to lose weight prior to surgery but no specifice diet, no liquid diet etc.

I'd do it.

Ok im gonna be the old mother of the group. Why the rush if you have gone through the eight months AND you will have insurance again in Nov then why not schedule in Nov?

Because of the "what if" factor. Granted most likely all will be fine but WHAT IF.

I would personally wait but again im a glass is half empty girl.

Either way i wish you well