Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

I have a question...I am 2 weeks out and have been waking up at about 4 am because my stomache is growling. Did/has this happened to anyone else? I moved on soft foods a little earlier than recommended hoping that it would stay with me a bit longer than the liquids. I'm trying to eat just the 1/2 cup portions, three times a day, drink all my Water and exercise. Not sure if there is a remedy or if I'm doing the right thing. I'm not getting a fill until the 19th.

wow...its nice to know that im not the only one up at 4 am. I wake up at that time every morning and i am hungry. cant wait to have my cream of wheat. at least that fills you up for awhile. sometimes i can have both cream of wheat AND a Protein Shake. then i find i can go back to sleep for a couple of hours.

First of all, it's always best to check with your surgeon. They are all so different. For myself, I don't wake up at that time b/c I usually go to bed between 2AM-3AM. I do however, eat something that is on my approved list if my stomach growls. This period of time is about healing and if I'm hungry, I eat.

Wonder what other do.....interested in seeing more feedback on this....it's a good question.

:) Thanks to everyone for being open, honest, and able to share your personal information. All have been inspiring ...

Seminole ... thanks for starting the thread:clap2:

Trip2beme ... congrats on the weight loss and the June update ... WOW 40 pounds!;)

3Loves ... Your line: "This period of time is about healing and if I'm hungry, I eat." ... Whew! That hit like a rock. :doh: You're absolutely right. Here we all sit trying to eat like we've been FULLY banded when in actuality we've only been banded, BUT NOT FILLED. You just get that mind-thing going that .. hey, I've been banded so I shouldn't be hungry ... WRONG! I've been hungry, too. Luckly I have liquids that are provided by my center with high Proteins so it does help tremendously.

Placement of port: Right side, about 3 fingers over from belly button and 3 fingers above waistline. AND it still hurts ... but normal.

Again, thanks everyone.:dance:

Hi May Bandsters,

I can't believe it's June already. I have had my band for a month and the time has flown by. Here's a recap:

I was banded on May 1st and the surgery and recovery went well.

I started Water aerobics 2 weeks post-op because my doctor said I could get in a pool and because, by then, my energy was back.

While I can eat pretty much anything I want right now, I definately have some restriction. I can eat anywhere from 1 cup to 2.5 cups of food depending on the time of day. Usually I eat about 1.5 cups. I am not hungry for 2-4 hours. I usually get hungry pretty soon after I start drinking. I think the water helps empty my pouch.

The only set-back I have had is an infected port incision which I noticed last weekend. It was a localized infection that is clearing up on it's own without any antibiotics. My doctor gave me some waterproof dressings for water aerobics.

I had to buy a new bathing suit this week. I was falling out of my old one. I didn't want to flash the life guards at the pool ;).

Anyway, I am down 33 pounds total! I think 19 of that is since surgery. I'll have to check my journal.

Well, that's all. I'm glad to see so many good reports from those of you who just got banded and those from the beginning of the month like me.

Trip2BeMe - congratulations on your incredible weight loss. Keep up the good work!

Hello All,

We seemed to have ended the month great and not its time to move on. I think for me this is a challenging time as I do not have any restriction and I do not try to over do it. I am sticking to my food as required by my surgeon and nutrionist. I have to wait until the 21 of June for a fill. I will not try to consume more then what t hey told me to consume. I am getting in about 700-800 calories per day and about 70-80 grams of Protein and about 70 oz of Water everyday. Last week I started to write down all that I consume with calories, protein, exercise, etc. We all need a push and maybe we should all make some short term goal to achieve. Being that I am not getting on the scale until I go for my fillI am in the dark as to my progress. I know that after my two weeks I had lost 18lbs...However I want to get it on as it is summer and need to be pushing myself....Let me tell you all something about exercise. Please start to do some, whatever it is, but you must make it something you can continue for life...Do not jump in and work out everyday at the gym and killing yourself with these workouts. Trust me , been there done that but you can't keep it up forever!!! I was in the military and was fit as could be and I have lost weight before doing exercise all the time but ones body can't keep it up. Do something moderate and enjoyable that will keep you motivated. Walk the dog, do some gardening, wash the car, walk the step instead of the elevator, walk the mall do some movement of your body...and drink all those fluids...I consider myself as starting the flood and let the water flow...

I hope this helps someone...

Moderation is the key to all of this..Moderation is our new lifstyle

lindaV...flashing the lifeguards...well, you know what they say "If you've got it, flaunt it!" Congrats on the NSV! Also on the 33 lbs!! You rock, sistafreind!!!

Seminole, you are a rock. Thank you for your real, true, life advice. You are an very intelligent and wise person, and it is good to know you if even only through this thread.

Those of you just getting started or half-way there, I'm not ready to give up this thread yet...want to see how you're all doing, and keeping up the good fight.

Well it has been 3 days since surgery and I think I am starting to feel pretty good. This morning I was only a little bit sore and it did not hurt to get up out of bed. I am still a little stiff, but it is improving. I can feel the gas in my left shoulder every now and then, but the gas-x works.

I have 5 incisions. Two under my left breast that don't hurt at all, one under my right breast that just barely hurts a little bit, one in the lower center of my belly that is somewhat sore but improving, and the last one is slightly higher in the middle of my belly (pretty sure that's my port) that is still very sore and sensitive to touch. All in all, I think I am healing the way I am supposed to. Y'all let me know if something doesn't sound right.

I am drinking the Atkin's Protein Shakes for Breakfast (1/2 a shake at a time) and trying to have a Soup or "full-solid" for lunch each day...usually about 1/2 to 1 cup at a time. For dinner last night I had some mashed potatoes and that felt really good. When should I quit with the shakes and Soups? If I am OK with mushies now, isn't that better for me? Any advice?

This is defionitely a new experience for me, but I feel really good about what I am doing and so far hunger has not been an issue. Thank you for all of the great advice and support that I have found on this thread!!!

Wow i just saw this thread ..duh dont know how i missed it LMAO:faint:

ANy way I was banded in mexico on May 12,2006 my stats are all below.

Ive been using www.fitday.com to track all my intake and exercise ect,, its an awesome site that is FREE!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: And Very HELPFUL!!

I found that once i went onto soft food i stopped loosing weight for a few days and gained a few lbs then all the sudden im loosing again! LOL Im finding also that ROOM TEMP drinks like Water and crystal light help fill me up better! if i get hungry i drink alot of fluids.

I am not eating much at all maybe 500-600 calories aday when im lucky lol but im getting in my Protein Drinks and i love cottage cheese so that helps too.and feels good going down!:hungry:

Im also in the Gone For Good club on here and they have awesome challenges they do to keep ya motivated! and thats what i need!

I started on tread mill two days ago , I havent been on one in YEARS! i am up to 7 minutes at a time 5 times a day. Sounds small but I have family who are trainers and said to start out small and build up and thats workign for me!:girl_hug:

So lets keep this thread going and keep in touch for support!:clap2:

Good luck to all!

Christy

MiniMandy - Most docs want you on liquids for 2-3 weeks. After that you shoud be on mushies for another 2-3 weeks. Your stomach can handle solid food as soon as the swelling goes down, but, the idea is to stay on liquids and soft foods so that your band has a chance to heal into place.

Seminole - I don't know how you are making it on so few calories with no restriction! Kudos to you! Are you starving? I am counting Weight Watcher points and grams of Protein to make sure I don't over-consume. It seem to be working so far.

MiniMandy_ be careful with what you eat..while healing if you "try out" foods and your swelling isnt down it will catch up with you..you need to stay on liguids and soft mush for awhile..believe me its not easy but its neccessary...i ate potatoe Soup one day thinking id be fine but within hours i was hurting. it irritates your stomach.

and when i started more harder foods this week its still hard to do..i kinda had to start over lots of liquids and maybe one solid a day now..but my solid is like chili or mash potatoes that are watery..i live off of yogurt and protien drinks..I LVOE THE EQUATES from walmart! the chocolat rocks! or i blend a banana with the vanilla one! YUMMY!

Take care and be careful!

I'm thinking we should start a new May Band Crew ~ June Talk thread. What do you guys think? We could have the mods close this one so new people would know to come to the most recent month if they were banded in May. We definitely need to keep this going regardless. You all are my band buddies. :biggrin1:

I used my Magic Bullet last night for my bean Soup and it was awesome!! It came out creamy like peanut butter....I almost reached for the bread. Not really. :heh: If any of you still in the early stages want Soups like the bean, potato, chili, this is a great way to have them. Turn them to mush and they taste delish!!! :hungry:

As long as people know where to go to keep this great thread going!

May Bandsters.....continued...part 2 June

May Bandsters.....continued...part 3 July

May Bandsters.....continued...part 4 August

smiles...diane

I am plum worn out!! I just got back from Wal-Mart Supercenter and I thought I was up for it, but I feel whipped.:whip: I took my 5 yr old and he drove the cart and helped me tremendously....it was so cute seeing those little feet scurry to pick something off the shelf for mommy. :biggrin1: I had to go from one end to the other b/c we needed stuff on both ends of the store. Needless to say, I took some pain meds b/c my port site was burning & hurting.

Is it just me? It's been a week and I felt great today. I guess I don't have as much strength as I thought. How did everyone else do on their first outing? :girl_hug:

I spoke to seminole and we agreed to go ahead and start a new thread for our group for the month of June. Here's the link: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?p=233493#post233493. I will see about making our new thread a sticky to make it easier to find.

We will do this every month after as long as we have participation. It is a great place to follow each other and continue to share in our journeys. I hope you all come and join us. This thread will probably be locked to prevent any confusion.

I would like to personally give a special thanks to SEMINOLE for starting this entire process for us!! We love you for it!! :clap2: