Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

Hi Mandy,

You will do fine! And "just barely" is still in May! :( You're still one of us!! Good luck on Wednesday. I'll be thinking of you.

Cathy

I'm new here. I am getting banded on May 31st so I guess I am just barely a part of the May 2006 group.

I am getting nervous/excited..surgery is only 3 days away!!!

TracyD!

I was banded on 5/22 and indeed the nausea was a problem. My doctor suggested Ginger Tea and it works!!! My nausea left 4 days post op and i am doing great!!

Pre band: 326

Surgery 5/22: 318

Hey guys!! Just checking in. I had surgery Friday and all is going well. I'm still a little sore, but I'm managing. I'm off the pain meds since yesterday and finally starting to have a small appetite.

Hi all,

I am waiting to go to the clinic formy pre op testing. I have met 3 other people here all getting banded today by Dr. Ortiz. I am getting banded tommorow. I wish my sister was able to be here now, it would be nie to have someone with you to pass the time.

I was finally able to sleep last night,which I haven't really been able to do this last week. I feel great today, a little hungrt and nervous but that is to beexpected. I think I am going to pass the rest of the time today shopping for supportive frineds back home and sitting in the sun, trying to get a tan.

It is great to here the different reports, so it gives me the broad range of what Icould expereince after surgery. I keep hoping I am one of the lucky people that gets to feel good right off the bat, but I am prepared to not be.

Here goes everything!!!

hey kathmo and other dr r. pts,

question for you- I'm leaving for Monterrey tomorrow- staying at the quinta royale- I'm just wondering if they have internet in rooms, if I should take my laptop? do they have a "business center" I could use a computer in? just wanting to talk to the kids while I'm gone- thought IM would be cheapest/easiest. thanks!

I have less than 24 hrs!!! lots o' nail biting going on!

thanks for your help!

kato

Hi Everyone, I am 4 days post op. and have droped 9lbs. felling pretty good.Still have no appetite, but I'm making myself eat and drink the liquids!:guess Going back to work tomorrow!:cry I actually think I am really starting to love my band, because before I had the appetite of a horse, I could sit down and easily eat a large pizza by myself.:hungry:

Jim

Tincat .... Thanks for the heads up on the Ginger Tea.:) The nausea is not good BUT I have had such little pain, I don't need pain pills ... that's a good thing.:clap2:

JungleJim ... glad I'm not the only one who can actually ... oops ... (past tense) had been able to eat an entire pizza. Great for the weightloss, Jim.

That's another great thing about this site ... we're not alone. We can have support from family, friends, coworkers, etc., but it's not like those who are going through the same thing. I have a support group at the Center for Health Excellence (majority are gastric bypass patients), but this is like having it 24-7.:hail:

Thanks everyone. :cheer2:

Just wanted to jump in and update everyone :)

I'm almost three weeks post-op and feeling like a million bucks. I'm working out 6 days a week walking, biking and light weight lifting. I actually played football this weekend! I got in my boyfriend's truck this weekend and reached down to adjust the seat. I reached right down to it! No going around the side or adjusting it while standing outside the truck. It was the coolest feeling. Every day is like opening a gift!

I'm scheduled for my first fill on June 23rd. I'm still not hungry physically. I've fought some hardcore head hunger but I won. I'm a crafty person so whenever I feel the urge to eat (when there is no physical hunger), I make a handmade greeting card to mail out. It's fun and my friends and family get a treat :D

Just wanted everyone to know I'm still motoring along.

Hi kato,

We stayed at the Quinta Real the first night and I don't remember that they had free internet there, but I wasn't looking for it either. I don't think they had a computer which you could use in the hotel. This was one of the reasons we switched to the Hilton the day after my surgery. The Hilton has 2 computers in the hotel which you can use for free. I believe they have free internet connection in the rooms as well. The Quinta charges you for everything and the Hilton has a lot of amenities. You will have to ask Gaby about the internet connection at the Quinta, I'm just not sure.

Good luck and have a safe trip! :)

Cathy

hey kathmo and other dr r. pts,

question for you- I'm leaving for Monterrey tomorrow- staying at the quinta royale- I'm just wondering if they have internet in rooms, if I should take my laptop? do they have a "business center" I could use a computer in? just wanting to talk to the kids while I'm gone- thought IM would be cheapest/easiest. thanks!

I have less than 24 hrs!!! lots o' nail biting going on!

thanks for your help!

kato

Congrats to all the latest banders!! I was banded on the 23 and have not been very hungry. I'm hoping that will last. My incisions have not given me much trouble, more like uncomfortable rather than pain. My problem is the gas pain. I got some GasX and that made my stomach feel better. I am having gas pain in my shoulder. It started under my collarbone and then moved to my shoulder joint. I've tried everything that I have read about on here. The most comfortable I am is when I lie on the couch and put the heating pad on my shoulder. Of course I can't do that all the time. I thought moving my shoulder around might help it. but I can't tell that it has. I'll try anything to get some relief. I took pain meds the 1st night and then didn't need it after that until the gas pain got worse. Ice helps and heat helps but only as long as I am holding it on there. Once I get up and try to move around my shoulder is killing me!! I will call the Dr. office tomorrow if it doesn't get any better, but in the mean time I was hoping one of you out there might know of something I haven't tried yet.

Thanks, Carol :)

mystjin - I had the same thing until just this morning. It drove me crazy, too. I just kept taking gasx, using heat pads, and tapping it(like burping a baby). Good Luck, next thing you'll know it'll be gone.

GOOD LUCK TO THE REMAINDER OF THE MAY BANDSTERS!

outdoorgirl

escudero012004

kato

MarionJean

minimandy

ashagirl

Thanks Cloe! I had tried to do the tapping thing too, I just took some Tylonol and that seems to have taken the edge off. I'll just have to watch what I do. I went to a store last night to look around and was carring my purse on my shoulder and I think that is what really made it worse.

I'd like to share with all of you the information that the exercise physiologist gave us at the Center for Health Excellence in Grand Rapids, Michigan in regards to post surgery exercise.:D These were based on FAQs.

Q. How soon after surgery may I resume exercise?

A. We want you to engage inligh aerobic activity:smilingface (52): (walking, recumbant biking, etc.) immediately as tolerated.

Q. How soon can I engage in resistance training?

A. Resistance training requires a fair amount of abdominal stabilization and allowing appropriate healing time is paramount. :nono: Typically 4-6 weeks post surgery is when resistance training may be slowly entered into.

Q. When my I return to exercising in the pool?:)

A. The healing of the incisions will be a determining factor inyour returning to exercising in the pool. Check with your facilities' policies regarding this as well. Light activity may be tolerated four weeks following surgery.