Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

HI, This is my first post!! I am getting banded on May 26th!! I cant wait. Im a size 22 at 280 lbs. MY goal is 180. I cant wait!!! Im from Kentucky..anyone else?

This is an invitation to all Tyler tx. and surrounding area whether banded or thinking of being banded please attend our first gathering of The Tyler Area Bandsters:at 6pm tonight at

BENNIGAN'S, 3304 Troup Hwy, Tyler, Texas 75701

I am home now - was banded yesterday 5/12. Everything went great! :clap2: I was one of the lucky ones that was able to come home the same day of surgery. No regrets at all. Today I'm just tired :notagree and have a little pain in my tummy - feels like someone punched me - like a bad bruise, but totally tollerable.

There was a gal in the bed next to me who had had gastric bypass a month ago, she had been in the hospital all week long throwing up green gunk. I'm SO GLAD that I didn't go that route. Lapband is the way to go imo. It might be a slower weightloss that GB but its much safer too. I felt so bad for that gal though.

Anyway - I'm offically a bandit now!! WooHoo!

Now that I am banded it all seems so easy of an operation. I did slep in the recliner in the hotel the first and scond day but now it is easy in and out of the bed. I have been walking fo at least 30minutes a day and in Cold Ass Terrible weather in Boston.. Does Boston know that this is supposed to be spring? Rain, cold, shootings, etc.....

I do have a concern as I seem to have a terrible taste in my mouth. I brush, mouthwash etc but still have that taste. Any suggestings on breathe fresheners?

I'm going to be banded on May 25th. I'm being banded by Dr. Kemmeter in Grand Rapids Michigan at MMPC (Michigan Medical, PC). They're an excellent group of people. It is followed with support groups, exercise therapists, behaviorists, and nutritionists. I'm on a product for 2 weeks through MMPC to shrink the liver as much as possible and then liquids for 2 weeks after and then meet with the nutritionist for the next steps. Luckily for me my insurance is covering most of it. All I have to pay for is $1294 which includes 4 weeks of product (my only source of nutrition).

My first appointment was 12/27 to start the process. Now reality has hit ... OMG ... :omg: I have been reading this site and have posted a couple of times. During the 12/27 meeting I guess the Dr. told me that he wanted me to try to lost 15 pounds on my own ... I don't remember the conversation, and when I had actually gained 14 pounds from December to last week, there was a possibility of a delay .:angry ... hey .... isn't that why I'm doing it, because of the difficulty I have to begin with losing and keeping it off? Anyway, so far so good, I talked them out of the delay with an understanding of them still possibly delaying it depending on how I do on product this week.

I'm rambling ... sorry.:)

Bottom line. I'm starting at 331#, 5'6" with a BMI of I think 52.:faint: My goal is in babysteps. I met another bander at the surgical support group (most of the group is gastric bypass patients) that lost 100 pounds in one year. I can't even imagine.

This place has been an absolute God-send :angel: for me. So much support and so many answers to everything.

Thanks everyone .... and good luck to all.:nanahump:

I will be an official may bandster next thurs, the 18th. I am 4'11'' and 165lbs. I started at 175lbs. I have a BMI of 35 but have been dealing with severe hypertension and sleep apnea as well as some other minor things. I have tried every avenue to lose weight and have been unsuccessful. This really is a last resort for me. I realize that I don't have quite as much weight to lose as some of the people here, but I am pretty short and the excess 65lbs are taking a HUGE toll.

I have been reading such GREAT info here! Thank God I found this site! As much as they try to prepare you, they don't even come close to giving the info that everyone here has offered up...so THANK YOU!

I am having trouble with the ticker factory thing. Cant get it to paste. If someone would be willing to give really detailed insrtuctions I would really appreciate it. GOOD LUCK TO ALL! I look forward to being part of the group.

<p><p><p>LindaV, i totally get the "cheat" and except for the fact that I spit it out before swallowing, I did the same. i have tripped the light fantastic by having creamed Soups...which I'm not supposed to have yet.</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm wondering if any newbies have felt a swelling and uncomfortable feeling where the band probably is. After I drink my broth, eat Jello, or anything with some kind of possible consistency I feel a bulge for lack of better term in my side. I don't know if that's from overextending my pouch, or just the "full" feeling, or if I've slipped and my stomach is pulling through my band...ack.</p> <p> </p> <p>Any words of wisdom from those of you new to this? I am now a whopping 8 days out and still not sure what I'm doing right or wrong.</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks...by the way , WELCOME HOME May 8,9,10,11 bandsters!!! You Rock!!</p></p></p>

Trying to make a comprehensive listing.

May 1st

sleepyjean

Hippo's Hope

LindaV

justduckie

txpeach

May 2nd

Velvetkiss

DrewsLou

May 3rd

kelli

louie

Judy Ann

May 4th

mychevygirl

TIDGE

lululacy

Angie71

Trip2bme

May 5th

Londoner

May 8th

Poster Child

laurapar

May 9th

Seminole

Marianne TN

Stitchy

dawner119

slwc

May 10th

missnikki

JJinLA

May 11th

babyjane

Karma2

michelletur (approved waiting for confirmation of surgery date)

May 12th

heresdeb

TwinkleLiL Star

AMF101

wiggygiggy

4MyFuture

missyfan

May 15th

Scout

RmichaelsAZ

MarcyD

May 16th

JillN

Gettinghealthy

jewels411

May 17th

anewlife

cathmo

msj0028

May 18th

marz88

jboy

medussa

May 19th

Mvpo8961

May 22nd

taxgirl

Wannalosealot

Awasaf

meedy8r

May 23rd

May 24th

dascjp1 & sister

May 25th

junglejim

FREE-TO-BE

Murphles

Tracyd

May 26th

Kim2bhealthy

CLOE

3loves

GreatDame

May30th

outdoorgrl

May 31st

I think I got everybody. But if I missed you let me know and I will edit it.

M

If ya'll know anybody on another thread that wants on here let me know. I have only put people on that responded to this thread. I think I have missed somebody scheduled for the 27th? Looking for them now. M

hey Tracyd.., I'm getting BANDED the same day you are:clap2:(May 25th) . That's cool:faint: Although I'm having to go to Mexico (Monterrey) to get mine done, I was one of the unlucky ones, my insurance wo'nt cover it!:phanvan I'm a 350lb ,5' 8" man..........so as you can see I have quite a bit to lose. Hope your goes well, Goog Luck!:clap2:

Jim

May 1st

sleepyjean

Hippo's Hope

LindaV

justduckie

txpeach

May 2nd

Velvetkiss

DrewsLou

May 3rd

kelli

louie

Judy Ann

May 4th

mychevygirl

TIDGE

lululacy

Angie71

Trip2bme

May 5th

Londoner

May 8th

Poster Child

laurapar

May 9th

Seminole

Marianne TN

Stitchy

dawner119

slwc

May 10th

missnikki

JJinLA

May 11th

babyjane

Karma2

michelletur (approved waiting for confirmation of surgery date)

May 12th

heresdeb

TwinkleLiL Star

AMF101

wiggygiggy

4MyFuture

missyfan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Cow that's a lotta new bandsters! Congrats to each of you and welcome to the Bandland! :clap2:

It amazes me that insurance companies actually deny these surgeries for people that are truly suffering and battling this.:) It's preemptive medicine and it's a wonder they don't realize this. To me I would think it would be a no-brainer.:mmph:

Good luck JungleJim and all the May Bandsters!!

:hippie:

Hello, everyone! My computer was acting up and I finally got it fixed. I was amazed that there are now TWENTY SIX pages for us May bandsters.:nanahump: :Banane41: :Banane41:

I went back to work yesterday. Besides being a bit more tired than usual (I work 12 hours shifts.....who wouldn't be tired???:notagree ) I feel pretty good. I work in a pretty rough environment, I was afraid that my incisions might hurt, but I was feeling ok. Even after taking a ride with my superintendent, who doesn't know how to drive slow, especially over bumps. :)

I'm finding it very very hard to eat only 3 meals a day. My dietician told me to eat four when working, so I've been having an extra protien drink in the evening before I go home. It really helped today, I wasn't starving when I got home. I get up at 3 am, get to work a bit before 5 am to get my crew lined up. I eat around 6:30 when I get a bit of a lull, then try to eat every four hours. :hungry: I can sure tell when the four hours are up. Of course, eating Soup and protien drinks isn't really eating!:Banane30: My crew is very interested with what I'm allowed to eat.....it's kind of funny, a lot of them really get freaked out with the protien drinks.

By the time I get home at 8 pm, it's definitely time to go to bed. And that's where I am right now.....ready to go to bed.

Congrats to everyone that was banded in the last few days and good luck to any Monday bandsters.

And Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there in Band Land!:biggrin1:

Hi I just got banded on May 9th at midnight. in Mexico (long story) How long did they tell you to wait before exercise? my Dr. didnt tell me hardly anything let alone after surgery they didnt give me any pain meds at all so I took my IV and walked to the pharmacy a couple bldings down and bought childrens liquid tylonol. Any way it was a real experience.:omg:

I'm wondering if any newbies have felt a swelling and uncomfortable feeling where the band probably is. After I drink my broth, eat Jello, or anything with some kind of possible consistency I feel a bulge for lack of better term in my side. I don't know if that's from overextending my pouch, or just the "full" feeling, or if I've slipped and my stomach is pulling through my band...ack.

Any words of wisdom from those of you new to this? I am now a whopping 8 days out and still not sure what I'm doing right or wrong.

Trip2bme

I was banded on the 9th. I have felt the swelling and uncomfortable feeling at my band after sipping anything, but I'm not really worried about it. I think everything is just still swollen and tender.

I am on full liquids which to me is anything I could suck through a straw. That means thinned and blended Soups. I do feel full after about 1/2 cup of Soup, but it sure tastes good.