Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Choices on Vacation?

Hi friends, My friends and I are going to Jamaica to a all inclusive resort in July. I had my band surgery March 1. Am I going to have a hard time being there? I know I have to make healthy choices while there, but I really dont want to get sick. Has anyone gone away 4 months after surgery? I know I can graze little meals during the day, but dinner may be a struggle. What about taking Cipro for stomach distress? Should I? Any advice would help be. Thanks again for your support!

I have been to Jamaic several times and was banded while there as well. The Water is fine don't worry about it. I would suggest to drink bottled water off the resort though. DON'T go to the Market in MOBAY unless you have a guide. You will get swarmed with people pushing things on you. And some won't take NO for an answer.

The food is absolutely fabulous. The Jerk chicken is to die for and is very band friendly. liquid Libation is a must down there. Red Stripe is delicious and the Native Beer. I highly recommend picking up some Jamaican Rum Cream which you shouldn't pay over $10 a bottle for. They will negotiate with you. The Rum Cream comes in several flavors but the one I like is banana. You are allowed 6 bottles of that through customs.

Where in Jamaica are you staying? We usually stay in Montego Bay at the Ritz but next visit will be at the Wyndham. Ritz is getting way too expensive for their all inclusive.

Stay away from fish unless it is fork tender. There is a restaurant in MOBAY (Montego Bay) called "The NATIVE" that you MUST visit. It is so good. And 4 people can eat for $60 US. The exchange rate there the last I heard was $60 Jamaican to our $1 US. THey LOVE US money there. So you don't have to have Jamaican money.

I am soooooooooo jealous of your trip. I have not been there in over a year now. I am in withdrawal. Oh one other thing. As soon as you get off the plane you are on Jamaica time. So don't get in ANY hurry or expect to stay on schedule. Just let loose and let it be.

YA MON!!! Everyting IRIE!!!! Irie means alright!!

Hi Penni, Thanks for your response! I think we are staying at the Sunset Resort and Spa. It has a Water park for the kids. Looks pretty nice. It will be my first time there. We usually go to the Bahamas or Mexico. So Water at the hotel will be fine for me to drink. I will try the beer but will not over do it. So are salads and veggies out of the question for me? Im such a newbie still on mushies and ave no idea what I will feel like in July. I dont even know when I will need a fill. So far im doing well. I have been doing tuna, eggs, fish, mashed pot, cheese, yogurt. I am so worried about getting ill while im there. All inclusive scares me!!! Before I would eat til I was blue in the face. Im sure I can choose hot Cereal, eggs, fruit for Breakfast, jerk chicken veggies for lunch, maybe meat veggies for dinner. Can I cheat a bit on Local specialities? I dont want to miss the local Soups, pastas, Desserts, Maybe a bite of each to experience the island flavor. Am I asking for too much?

DAA, you are gonna have a blast, you will enjoy everything you eat, your "going overboard" will not even be able to compare to what you would have done pre-band, you will have lost some weight before you go so you will be more active and less out of breath. You will relax, not worry, and have a great vacation! No worries, Mon! Everything is Irie!

I spent a week at Jack Tar Village in MoBay after graduation form college. We had a ball. You have given me the bug to go back...years later with a hubby and two kids. My how life changes!

OK I vote those of us that wanna go to Jamaica for a Bandster Support Meeting all check in here. LOL!!!!

The local cuisine is Fish, chicken, RUM, Conch, RUM, Sweet Sop (it is a fruit), RUM, Plaintains, RUM, Jerk meat, RUM, RED STRIPE, etc. You get the picture.

The restaurants will have American meals I am sure as well. If you want a good Jamaican experience meal the way the natives do then ask someone to take you to Scotchies. For about $20 you can get a 1/2 Jerk Chicken and 4 Red Stripe. Your plate is the reynolds wrap the chicken is wrapped in. You eat it with your fingers. YUM YUM!!

I love going to Jamaica. The people are so nice. Just be aware that there are places you DON'T go without a guide. Like the Market and the HIP STRIP.

Margaritaville in MoBay has excellent food and the kids can go during the day.

You have to try a Yardie Martini while you are there. It is slurpy good. LOL!!

Have fun and enjoy. Just eat and drink in moderation and follow the band rules and you will be fine. Small bites and chew chew chew. If you are gonna be drinking then be careful what you are eating.

Oh goodness, you'll be 4 months out by that point. You'll be JUST FINE, not to mention you'll be lookin' hotter in your swimming suit! Have fun!

I took a short vacation 2 weeks after getting banded. You have NOTHING to worry about. Just don't eat like the others, and be proud of your band, and I'm sure all of them will envy you on your new appetite (thats if they are large people) ENjoy:clap2:

My sister and I just returned from a Caribbean cruise. We have both been banded for 6 months. We did just fine with our food. We may have eaten a little more than we usually do--but remember that this is not a diet. It is a life style change. Use common sense and control your portions. You will do just fine. Have a great time.

Penni ,will you be my tour guide? I wanted to get hook to this tread in case it evolved to ...

The only thing I recommend is that you make sure you aren't too tightely filled. Maybe get your 2nd fill after you get back or something? Depends on how tight your first fill is n' stuff.

Rum cream sounds SO good!!

I am scheduled for a cruise to Alaska the last week in May. I opted to wait to get banded until that was over. Now I feel like such a wuss. I can't wait to start the program, but was so scared of having problems while away.

I would be HAPPY to be everyone's tour guide in Jamaica. I feel like it is my second home. And by the way, I haven't been there in over two years now. HELLO!! What is up with that??

How about planning something for August? Hey I am serious people.