Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here In Ohio

Hello Everyone!

My name is Emily and I am from the Cincinnati area in Ohio. I am 27 and have struggled with my weight since about the 3rd grade. I've tried many different diets, including South Beach and weight watchers numerous times. I had success at the time with weight watchers but as soon as a fell off the wagon it was all down hill from there. I have always had a problem with eating way too much but the problem is I usually never feel full no matter how much I eat. Like I have always joked with my family and friends I tell them "I have a never ending stomach." Im tired of it though. Im tired of always feeling tired and down on myself. Im tired of the lack of self esteem. I have become a traveling RN over the last year and I know that I would have much more fun if I had the self confidence I know I could have. At this point I have turned to getting the Lap Band surgery done. I will be self paying for the surgery. I do not have that much money but luckily enough I have family who are willing to loan me some because they know this will make me happy. I have researched this procedure inside and out and have been reading many posts from you all on this website, which I find very helpful. I will be meeting with the Surgeon and team as soon as I get home from this work assignment, September 26th is the date. I can't wait! I feel like time is standing still. That is a little background into my struggles and why I am here. I look forward to talking with many of you and reading more of your posts. Feel free to send me messages or comments if you would like, any friends going through or having gone through this is welcome! =) Thanks!

-Emily-

Welcome Emily!!! You sound like me other than I'm 56yo and I'm not a nurse. As far as all the diets and failures, yep me too! I think everyone on this forum has been there,done that.

I'm still waiting on last PCP appt next week before paperwork can go to Insurance, so I hoping for late Sept. banding.

Glad to hear you're doing a lot of research before banding.

Good Luck & keep in touch!

Welcome Emily I am also from Ohio & I am just getting started .. I also have tried any diet plans & I do very good @ losing the weight I just cant seem to keep it off.. This is the 2nd time I am going threw the process of the Lap Band 1st time I got pretty far but the thought of surgery scared me to death & I backed out, That was about 3 yrs ago & now I am @ my heaviest weight & decided this time I am going to do it.

I am going to Dr. Timothy Custer Lancaster, Ohio for mine. I was going to go to go to trace Curry of Cincinnati but that is a 2 hour drive one way for me so i wanted something closer.

I just had my first new patient meeting Monday the 13th & now I am just waiting till they here back from my insurance company on what all is required to be done for them to approve it.

Hope we can keep updated on each of our Journeys from Ohio

Becky

Hi Emily! I'm 27 also and just starting the process. I'm curious to know when you had our first consultation with youlr surgeon? I have the same problem with the "never-ending" stomach. I've tried what seems like everything and am soo excited about surgery! I had my first appt July 27th and am having my first nutrition appt Monday followed by the psychology appt. how long have you been in the pre-op process? I feel like it's taking forever for me!

Thank you ladies for the responses!!! =) Makes it even more exciting knowing others are on your side and know what your going through!

-Nicole- I do not meet the surgeon and have my first appointment until September 26th. Because I am currently in Connecticut for a nursing job and won't be back in Ohio until that time. The same day I meet with the surgeon, I will also meet with the dietician and the psychologists I believe. =)

I live in CT! What part are you in? I am the most nervous for the psychologist for some reason! I've never seen one and it freaks me out lol! I also had to do an upper GI test and then meet with a pulmonologist to see if I have sleep apnea...lots of doctors but hopefully very worth it in the end!

I hope the first appointment goes well! I actually live in CT! What part are you in?

Hi Emily, Northern Kentucky here and I had my lap band done by Dr. Curry. If you have any questions, just let me know. Good luck!

Hi, I also had my surgery done by Dr Curry on may 14 2012 and I live near Columbus Ohio, I found him to be a great Dr. His staff is very nice and helpful. He has an office close to where I live so I go there for the fills. But I did drive the hour and half for the surgery. I like the fact that you get 2 years of fills with the surgery.

Hi

I am a newbie too and from CINCINNATI as well. Yesterday, I just finished my three hour consultation and am scheduled for surgery Sept. 24th. Dr. Trace Curry will also be my doctor and there staff is amazing.

I was impressed to find out that our surgery package includes a 2 year all paid doctor visits and all fills included during that two year. That was great to hear since some doctors do not cover all the fills and it can be expensive. He also mentioned if anything goes wrong during that 2 years he will be responsible for all procedures with no cost to us except things like hospital stay and other doctors involved should they be.

It's great finding someone here from Cincinnati YAYYYYYYY.

Wish you the best and I will add you as a friend and hope we can go through this process together and cheer each other along.

Welcome!! :) This is a great site to be apart of. Lots of great advice and lots of forums to read through of different experiences! I'll be 26 in 2 weeks and have had the band for over 4 years now. Best decision I ever made. The energy, confidence, everything has increased! Keep us posted on your journey in the bandster world!

Nicole- I am currently staying in Newington, CT but working at Childrens Hospital there in Hartford. =)