Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved! Yeah! Aftercare Ins Questions now. Preexisting conditions?

Upon hearing the news of my approval, my sweet hubby raised a question I thought I would ask here.

If I were to change jobs and therefore change insurance companies would aftercare be covered or a pre-existing condition?

I am so excited and never really thought about this. Anyone know?

I changed jobs and got a new insurance. Even though I was self pay and went to Mexico, my new insurance did not classify it as a pre existing condition but as a current medical need. Although, I haven't used insurance because with the co pay and the deductible, it is still cheaper to go back to Mexico for me.

Poodles, generally speaking if you change insurance plans with no lapse in coverage, nothing can be excluded as a pre-existing condition. That's not to say that all your fills and aftercare will automatically be covered--there are lots of reasons a carrier might not cover something like a band adjustment. But a pre-existing condition clause would NOT be one of the reasons.

Yipeeeee Poodles!!! :dance: I needed to hear something positive today....I am very happy for you!!!:clap2:

I wanted to call so bad today, but held off. I hope to post good news myself sometime this week.

Excellent question about insurance. My husband works in automotive and with GM on shaky ground, it's hard to feel secure at a job these days. Let's hope any new insurance won't exclude WLS aftercare.

Again....I am thrilled for you....party time!!!

:confused: :laugh :thumb: :horn: :cheer2: :( :eek:

Congratulations on setting a date! I agree with Alexandra on the preexisting clause if you change jobs.

As far as your current insurance, aren't you on TRS BC/BS ? I am on plan two and they have covered my aftercare so far. Let me know if you have any questions.

Congratulations on setting a date! I agree with Alexandra on the preexisting clause if you change jobs.

As far as your current insurance, aren't you on TRS BC/BS ? I am on plan two and they have covered my aftercare so far. Let me know if you have any questions.

dolphin_dreams,

What does TRS BC/BS cover as far as aftercare? I never really thought to ask because when we were discussing how much less I would have to pay for prescriptions, Dr. Smith said that those savings could be used for fills. Just curious.

Audra

I'm going to be in the same boat this year. Hubs and I are finally going to get divorced (good, bad, whatever) so I'll be going from TriCare to MN BC/BS. No idea how they are with the band. I'll have to do some footwork. Because this is a "life event" I do have a pre-existing condition clause for stuff they won't cover, hope that doesn't include the band!

My new insurance does not coer after care at all =(

Guess our biggest worry is that if anything goes wrong we want to make sure it is covered. Think Dr. B charges $50.00 for fills regardless, but if something needs to be replaced or opened up/etc. we want to make sure it will be covered. Think if it got that far it would be an emergency, right?

Not every school district has TRS so just wondering. But thanks Dolphin Dreams for letting me know they cover aftercare!

I still can't believe it! I am scared and excited at the same time!

Audra,

For my fills so far (2 of them), I have only had to pay the $35 copay. My doctor does mine using sonograms and not floro so I'm not sure if you would have to pay any extra for that. I go in every 6 weeks for a checkup and they cover all of that except for the copay. Good luck!

Kendra

Along the same lines.....what if your hubby changed jobs b4 your surgery date? Could you pay for COBRA and would the pre-approval still be valid? :D