Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reinforcment Today!!

Good morning....this morning at the gym I learned from a friend of the passing of a mutual friend of ours last week. We served together for 10 years as executive board members for the local Football Conference, I as secretary and he as treasurer.

Although I have not seen him for years, I was and am saddened and did say a prayer or 2.

Then, as I was working out, I could not stop thinking about him.

A few years older than me....morbidly obese, a cigarette always in his mouth, cardiac issues, fatigued from climbing even 3-5 stairs, wheezing, a mouth breather!

My friend told me he was currently undergoing dialysis 3 times a week. Yes..a Diabetic also.

Then I realized, I was describing MYSELF,... 2-3 years ago! We were 2 peas in the pod!

Aside from the dialysis...but when my sister passed away she was also victim to kidney failure, and I knew I was headed in the same direction. And my Dr. never let me forget it!

Then I thought about the comparison between me and Larry. There I was...95 lbs down since being banded...running on the treadmill for 35 minutes then on to the elliptical for another 25. Weights afterward if I'm up to it, everyday!

I can no longer tolerate red meat and have given it up entirely...much to the pleasure of all my Dr.'s and many other people...gave up things like breaded/fried foods, Pasta, globs of melted cheese, rice, breads, donuts, and the list goes on and on.

I can't over eat even if I wanted to...impossible! Are any of those things good for me in the first place??

Ironically, the last time I met my friend, we bumped into each other standing in line at McDonalds loading up on egg McMuffins and hash browns. I will never be able to eat one of them again, and have absolutely no reason to ever step foot inside a McDonalds or similar places ever again!!

To each their own...but I am glad I have this artificial thing wrapped around my guts forever preventing me from doing the things that would only kill me!!

And for that I have to Thank God Everyday!!!

:D Awesome post! I too will be thankful once I lose the weight and start running again. I plan to run in atleast one marathon someday. I couldn't run across the street now without becoming very winded.... Thanks for your touching post...

Amazing. Sorry for your friend and the survivors, glad you took the steps to change your life.

Amazing. Sorry for your friend and the survivors, glad you took the steps to change your life.

Funny thing is, is how everyone stood around and shook their heads with the understanding he was not taking care of himself....almost as though he got what he deserved (cold, I know)

People have to understand that all this is really about life and death....which is why I don't come around here all that much anymore.

Too many people giving opinions with little experience themselves.....very dangerous.....

I have blocked one or 2 of them because I choose not to hear anything they say....

people should tell their stories only and keep opinions to themselves.

I'm sorry for your friend, for sure, but very glad for you!!! How wonderful- and I feel the same way! I'm not totally in the green zone yet, but still down over 70 lbs in 6 months- almost halfway to my goal, feeling SO MUCH better about myself and my life- and love to exercise. I still can eat more than I expected to with the band, but know I'm not quite in my sweet spot yet- and just because I CAN doesn't mean I DO.

As I tell my surgeon and PA every month when I visit to check in and get a fill- I did not do this to be average. I did this to succeed and lose the weight forever!!!

Nicki