Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Little Embarrassed And Tmi... Painfully Constipated?

Warning! Don't want to squick anyone out, I'm going to get graphic here!

I was banded on 7/25 and incision-wise feeling pretty well, but Friday-Sunday had severe bubbles in my digestive track EVERY time I ate something and it hurt! Even when I drank Water :( So, not-so-smart me shied away from it all and drank very little of anything. Saturday, I had severe diarrhea so I stopped the colace. Yesterday... well, now I'm constipated-sorta. I have watery diarrhea, but I feel like I'm impacted because it feels like something is stuck. It hurts to even urinate because of the pressure.

Anyone experience this? I've never had issues with Constipation so this is a new one for me. Yesterday I started taking the colace again and have added some senna today. I also used a glycerine suppository. Things have "moved" a bit, but still feeling a lot of pressure and having the watery bowel movements around whatever is feeling stuck. Was pretty worthless yesterday and today seems to be turning into the same type of day.

I am forcing liquids! Drank 10 cups yesterday and have had about 5 8-oz glasses of water today. I"m hoping by upping the water intake as well as the colace and the senna I can get things moving again. I have my follow-up on Thursday and do plan on talking to my surgeon if I'm still having these issues, but would like to resolve it before then.

Don't be embarrassed. Many of us have been through this.

It sounds almost exactly like my experience. The first week after surgery my stools were watery and frequent. Then a couple weeks later I had pressure on my rectum so bad it hurt to sit... This lasted for days. I'd try to push it out.. Eventually got to the point I almost blacked out from the pain. Went to the ER and they said it was impacted stools. They gave me a few enemas, suppositories, rectal exam and X-ray. OUCH. The nurse had to manually break up the stool because it was so deep inside me. They sent me home and told me to take colace and Miralax if I don't go #2 every 2 days. So.. I highly recommend you go to the doctor if it doesn't improve in a day or two. It's not pretty but they are professionals and can help get things moving.

The watery stuff is the effects of stool softener. Stool softener can not break up the already impacted stool, only the new stuff. So pushing it out is going to be painful, but after that, if you keep up on colace and Fiber rich foods, you'll be totally fine :)

Oh and Water intake is key!!!!

Ahh! Thanks! That's exactly what I'm feeling. If it's not better by Thursday when I go in for my follow-up, I will talk to my surgeon. Hopefully, I can work it out before that! Had some success with the glycerine suppository today so hopefully, that will continue to help!

Continuing with the Water intake!

How often should a stool softener be taken? Every day? Every other day? Thanks!

Since I started adding benefiber to my Water I don't get constipated. The Fiber is tasteless and dissolves instantly. Love it and its a natural way to keep things moving. I don't like the way laxitives make me feel and impact my body chemistry.

I used Collace when I was first banded. Very mild.

Now I'm waiting for a hip replace and I take a pain med called Dilaudid.

t

I take 2 Collace every night a bedtime... works really well.

Good luck !

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net