Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Hey about that Emergency exit aisle on the plane with the extender. That really sucks. Makes me kind of mad though.

Stewdess 'people might trip on it in an emergency'

Me 'I think i can manage to make sure its in my seat out of the way'

Thats really a stupid rule. I always wondered why big people couldnt seat in the emergeny aisle.

Ya. It definitely helped to push me towards getting the surgery so I guess everything happens for a reason. The plane was full except for first class and one aisle seat in coach. As I followed her towards the front and the aisle seat, I saw that the guy sitting in the middle seat was bigger than me. I was thinking 'crap, we are going to be squished together like sardines'. The loud flight attendant must have seen the two of us and had mercy on me. Maybe she felt bad for letting the whole plane know I couldn't sit in the emergency aisle. She pointed to a seat in first class and said 'if you want you can sit there'. So it actually kind of worked out. The seat was much bigger and the arm rests weren't digging into my sides.:heh:

I am frustrated at the moment. I am starting my pre-op liquid diet next week and that alone seems a daunting task, but that is not where my frustration lies.

When I went in for my first office visit my Dr. tried to talk me into the bypass over the band. She said it will help me more and she thinks I am too large for the band to help me enough (377lbs/5'10"/BMI 55). By the end of the visit she told me it was my choice, put in for the band request and told me I can change my mind and do the bypass. I agreed to look over the choice one more time.

Then I go in to see the dietician and she totally shakes my faith in my ability to do this. I have been changing my mindframe about food, portions and what not, but that was not enough.the dietician spoke to me like I had no real concept of what I was doing. I have done my research, I know it will harder...etc.

Have any of you had to deal with a similar situation? Are you wishing you did the bypass because it is "easier"? I am sticking with the lap band, but there is enough doubt in my mind now to make me wonder.

PandaGirl

Look at my weight! I got the band! my surgeon didnt try and talk me out of it. He said i was going to be a challeange but i got it.

My wife and i too though maybe i should get the bypass but im so glad i didnt!. You will do fine with the band! Dont let em scare you. Yes you can cheat it by eating lots of ice cream and milkshakes but it wont let you over eat solid foods.

I had the bigger band and my surgeon said it was snug but it was ok.

O and my surgion doc told me to pretty much take what a nutrionist says with a pinch of salt as they dont understand the band too well.

I am soooo glad i picked the band!

PandaGirl

Look at my weight! I got the band! my surgeon didnt try and talk me out of it. He said i was going to be a challeange but i got it.

My wife and i too though maybe i should get the bypass but im so glad i didnt!. You will do fine with the band! Dont let em scare you. Yes you can cheat it by eating lots of ice cream and milkshakes but it wont let you over eat solid foods.

I had the bigger band and my surgeon said it was snug but it was ok.

O and my surgion doc told me to pretty much take what a nutrionist says with a pinch of salt as they dont understand the band too well.

I am soooo glad i picked the band!

Thanks so much. I really, really needed to hear that from someone who is experiencing it. Congrats on the band btw!~panda

I am frustrated at the moment. I am starting my pre-op liquid diet next week and that alone seems a daunting task, but that is not where my frustration lies.

When I went in for my first office visit my Dr. tried to talk me into the bypass over the band. She said it will help me more and she thinks I am too large for the band to help me enough (377lbs/5'10"/BMI 55). By the end of the visit she told me it was my choice, put in for the band request and told me I can change my mind and do the bypass. I agreed to look over the choice one more time.

Then I go in to see the dietician and she totally shakes my faith in my ability to do this. I have been changing my mindframe about food, portions and what not, but that was not enough.the dietician spoke to me like I had no real concept of what I was doing. I have done my research, I know it will harder...etc.

Have any of you had to deal with a similar situation? Are you wishing you did the bypass because it is "easier"? I am sticking with the lap band, but there is enough doubt in my mind now to make me wonder.

Believe me I have thought the same thing SO MANY times. But I always rememeber some of the negatives with the Bypass surgery. My favs to remember are nutrition defeciencies, Vitamin defeciencies, Hair loss due to lack of the vitamin asorbtion and Dumping Syndrome from eating any thing with sugar in it. That was just to name a few! And through all the research I have done it has shown that after 3-5 years LapBand and Bypass patients end at around the same total weight loss. Bypass might lose quicker in the beginning but they slow down at some point and LapBand might lose slower in the beginning but it speeds up slightly as time goes on and the band gets tightened with fills. Another good thing to remember is no rearranging of you insides that always makes me feel better. Just keep your head up and know that we are all here for you whenever you need to talk. Hey I think I just reassured myself about getting the band done and not the Bypass...haha!!!

:whoo:

Believe me I have thought the same thing... SO Just keep your head up and know that we are all here for you whenever you need to talk. Hey I think I just reassured myself about getting the band done and not the Bypass...haha!!!

:whoo:

Thanks so much. I told them what you did, but there was still resistance. I think it bothers me so much because I feel like they are not going to support as well if I choose the band over the bypass. But that may just be my fears.

I know the closer I get to the actual surgery the more concerned I am getting with the validity of my choices. I suppose it is akin to cold feet. I thought I had been preparing my mind for the lifestyle change, but I think I have some ways to go.

I think my surgery will be planned for October or November. I can't imagine them keeping me on the liquid diet much longer than that. Anyway, I have to remind myself that there are those like you who are in the same boat who are doing it and having success with it and my success is a matter of me, not the dietician.

They can recommend it to you (but they did recommend the surgery that makes them more money) but in the end, it is your body and your choice. I'd hate to think that someone was talked into getting their insides re-arranged if that wasn't what they really wanted (fine, if it is but it should be the individual's choice).

Thanks so much. I told them what you did, but there was still resistance. I think it bothers me so much because I feel like they are not going to support as well if I choose the band over the bypass. But that may just be my fears.

I know the closer I get to the actual surgery the more concerned I am getting with the validity of my choices. I suppose it is akin to cold feet. I thought I had been preparing my mind for the lifestyle change, but I think I have some ways to go.

I think my surgery will be planned for October or November. I can't imagine them keeping me on the liquid diet much longer than that. Anyway, I have to remind myself that there are those like you who are in the same boat who are doing it and having success with it and my success is a matter of me, not the dietician.

That's right!!! It is up to you it is YOUR choice not theirs!!! They won't be the one who has to live with it the rest of their lives. They won't have to deal with sicknesses, and possible issues with the Bypass. I don't like to promote one over the other (surgery that is) to anyone but if you were comfortable with the LapBand to begin with, until the dietician started trying to change your mind then you should definitely remember that. It is quite possible to make you question your choice; because when I spoke to people and they said similar things to me it almost swayed my decision also. It think it is just becuase it is such a life changing thing no matter which one we choose that we are scared that we will make the wrong choice. Just go with your original instincts and know that you have people who care around you and that along the way we will be cheering you on, never be embarrassed or ashamed for anything you do "We are HUMAN" and no matter what we make mistakes it is the lessons we learn from those mistakes that matter the most not the mistake itself.

April :)

They can recommend it to you (but they did recommend the surgery that makes them more money) but in the end, it is your body and your choice. I'd hate to think that someone was talked into getting their insides re-arranged if that wasn't what they really wanted (fine, if it is but it should be the individual's choice).

That's right !!!

Pandagirl,

Do not let the Drs, Dieticians, or anyone else make a decision for you! They do not have to live with the decision for the rest of their lives! I had the choice of gastric bypass through my insurance and almost went through with it last year, but family asked me not to.

I had my band put in last week (8/16) and was self pay, through a Dr who didnt question my decisions.

I am 5-8.5 and 359 (at my consultation appt), my Dr said if my issue was just eating too much, then the band would provide the needed restriction, without the moving and cutting of instestine and stomach! He said if you "graze" then this may not be the right tool.

So far, so good. Not even hungry, I think I am down about 10 lbs. It was out patient surgery and I was back to work 3 days later.

Hang in there and dont let them sway you if this is procedure you want done.

Take Care,

Lee Ann

San Jose, CA.

Pandagirl

i also went back and forth between trying to decide on the band and the bypass. i'm glad i didn't buckle and at least my doctor left the choice up to me without trying to strong arm me. stick to your guns if the band is what you want.

it's been 5.5 months and i've already lost 111 pounds. the band is awesome and i believe that if you are willing to put in the effort, success is inevitable. it's a tool. for sure. and it totally changed my view of food. the desperation i had always felt and the bottomless pit that always seemed to be there. the band totally removed that need and food doesn't mean the same as it did before. it's awesome.

virginia

OK, this is really weird! I weighed in last Sunday at 415 and everyday this week my max calorie intake has been 1400.

I swam 50 laps in the pool everyday (big pool). Drank alot of Water took Vitamins.< /p>

Looking foward to getting on the scales today.

419!!!!!:omg: What the heck??? I can feel my clothes getting loser. This happened to anyone else?