Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Had my second fill today. I have only lost 23lbs and I'm disappointed. I know its suppose to come off slow, but I was hoping it was a little faster then this. I hope this fill makes a big differance. Maybe I'm expecting to much.

Had my second fill today. I have only lost 23lbs and I'm disappointed. I know its suppose to come off slow, but I was hoping it was a little faster then this. I hope this fill makes a big differance. Maybe I'm expecting to much.

Carol thats 23lbs you didnt gain! Congrats!!!!

wow congrats Chris NJ!!!!!

That is awesome news!

janelle

23 pounds is 23 pounds! But, yeah... I would probably want it off faster too. Maybe this fill will do the trick!! Good Luck!!

I got my pre-op packet in the mail tonight. Its so exciting. :) I can't wait to find out what my surgery date will be!

wow congrats Chris NJ!!!!!

That is awesome news!

janelle

Thanks Janelle ! I have been walking my but off (literally and I don't really have one to start). I just got in from doing a 5 mile walk and now have Jello legs lol. As of today I am officially down 38 lbs now :clap2:. I hope this doesn't slow down. To those that it has keep faith and work hard. Good Luck !

Chris

Hey all,

I have a question. Why is it that I am bitter when I see other people with starting weights that I haven't seen since Jr. High?? When I think about how much I have to lose, I have to lose as much as some of the others weigh!! I know this sounds like a downer post, but I get frustrated even though I am just starting out. Anyone else ever feel this way? I am not an evil person, I just wish it was an easier road. I also wish I wouldn't see others crying over having to lose 45 lbs. I want to say to them, try being 2 times as big as you are. Ya know???

Hey all,

I have a question. Why is it that I am bitter when I see other people with starting weights that I haven't seen since Jr. High?? When I think about how much I have to lose, I have to lose as much as some of the others weigh!! I know this sounds like a downer post, but I get frustrated even though I am just starting out. Anyone else ever feel this way? I am not an evil person, I just wish it was an easier road. I also wish I wouldn't see others crying over having to lose 45 lbs. I want to say to them, try being 2 times as big as you are. Ya know???

I KNOW!! I totally agree with you... But here is something I heard at a WW meeting once - that you shoujldn't judge someone who is 'smaller' because they may have already lost a bunch of weight that we don't know about... also that we shouldn't be bitter just because they saw themselves at a weight that we were at a few years ago and decided to do something about it NOW vs. waiting until they were THIS big.

While I DO get annoyed with people who are only like 45 pounds overweight, I need to remind myself that I too was once ONLY 45 pounds overweight. Does that make any sense?

And TRUST me I know how you feel... I need to lose 220 pounds...to reach my goal of 165.

Hey all,

It can be hard but it is all about perspective.

When my first child was born weighing a pound we went through a roller coaster - 3 1/2 months in the hospital, surgeries, etc. 5 months later I was on a the phone with a friend that start crying because she had to take her new baby for her first shots. At first I thought it was ridiculous because compared to what we had been through it wasn't even a blip on the radar screen....but then I paused. It was important to her, it was traumatic to her because she hadn't been through what we had been through. She had no frame of reference for where we had been - couldn't even imagine it for that matter.

Same way with people who only have 45 pounds to lose. They have no frame of reference for what it is like to need to lose over 200 pounds. So for them it is hard and traumatic in the same way it was for my friend taking her baby for shots. I would have loved to switch places with her but there is a side benefit.

In the same way that I appreciate every single breath that my child takes in a way that a parent who hasn't gone through what we did can't even imagine - I appreciate every pound lost off my supersize frame I think more than someone who started off so much smaller.

Hazelbunny!!! I so get it. Everyone is entitled to "their own STORY"

Thank you for the lovely word picture. I have 230 lbs to lose...just found out that insurance won't cover my band...so after sitting in a puddle for a few weeks I am ready to get going. I am wasting days of me life. We are going to self pay...been to the seminar and see the surgeon next week. They say I can prob have surg within 2 wks from seeing the surgeon. WOW...here we go....

Has anyone else "mourned" losing their terrible coping mechanism that got them in such trouble and could eventually kill me if I don't do something about it? I feel like such a "moron".....being sad to not be able to overeat in the future...it is a coping mech that got me thru a lot...and I need to replace it with healthy ones. Thought I would take a risk and ask.....

See Dr Neal and Nutritionist 6/4/07

gwip-- Yes I understand perfectly. I love to cook and eat it. It is one of my greatest abilities that I have. I miss cooking and baking. Some day I have to find things to do to keep my mind off of food. I have had a love affair with food for 30+ years. Good luck, I know you can do it. It's not easy at all, but with prayer and a little will power you can do. We are here for you.

This is the best thread.

My starting weight was 411 lbs. I was miraculously able to lose 35 lbs prior to surgery. I just weighed this morning though at 361 and almost cried....50 lbs down. woohooo.....a lot to go. but hey, what else am i doing right?

a question for you all though....I have sleep apnea and am wondering when i should be getting re-evaluated as I think its set too high now. I'd like to put it off as long as possible but feel like I'm swallowing all the forced air. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I was banded 5/8/07 here in Portland Oregon by Dr Jan.

gwip-- Yes I understand perfectly. I love to cook and eat it. It is one of my greatest abilities that I have. I miss cooking and baking. Some day I have to find things to do to keep my mind off of food. I have had a love affair with food for 30+ years. Good luck, I know you can do it. It's not easy at all, but with prayer and a little will power you can do. We are here for you.

Carol

I find it interesting that you are ending that love affair. I to am a foodie to nth degree. I really struggled with how to recogcile my love with this new life. I have to say I've become the consumate food snob. My standards are different and my values have changed. I don't look for the flakiest croissant dough. I look for the best use of carbohydrates. Instead of eating regular oatmeal or instant I go out of my way to get steel cut oats. I've also moved in the direction of really understanding the nuances of nutrition and what it does for the body. I see this as a way to keep my love and have it benefit me at the same time.

Also all those years of baking, you can know that when that dry piece of birthday cake with waxy icing passes beneath your nose, it's not worth eating. (See food snob talking!)

Oh, I'm getting way into teas and slowly starting to learn about wines...

:hungry:

OH Juli

This is the best thread.

My starting weight was 411 lbs. I was miraculously able to lose 35 lbs prior to surgery. I just weighed this morning though at 361 and almost cried....50 lbs down. woohooo.....a lot to go. but hey, what else am i doing right?

a question for you all though....I have sleep apnea and am wondering when i should be getting re-evaluated as I think its set too high now. I'd like to put it off as long as possible but feel like I'm swallowing all the forced air. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I was banded 5/8/07 here in Portland Oregon by Dr Jan.

Good Morning LKRISTYL!! You have an inspirational wt loss!!! YOU GO GIRL!!! I also use a CPAP...are you facing a sleep study each time you need an adjustment...or will your Doc be able to work with you as you go down? My clinic(in Longview,WA) is open each wed for adjustments ect... perhaps you can make a deal with your sleep Doc to make adjustments as you go down and re-evaluate at a certain point. It is very uncomfortable to be at the wrong setting. I have a long way to go too with my wt loss and want to put off the expensive sleep studies...even with insurance it is spendy.

So glad to meet you!! You are a neighbor!

I was hoping to loose the apnea when i hit 100 lbs lost but just had my pressure dropped from 16 to 8- makes a big difference! The medical supply company has a machine that you rent for 2-4 weeks that records what pressure you are using each night and what is the nightly average and then you reset your machine. I have never had a sleep study done at a sleep clinic- that would be hard for me -can't sleep without the dh and the dog!