Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I will be banded on Feb. 21st. I started Optifast today, I have to lose 20lbs before the surgery. I am really excited and a little scared.

Jean

BMI 53

Made it into the 250s today. :heh: :clap2:

Freeskye, I would never suggest this as a "long-term" alternative, but have you ever tried a low-carb diet? They're virtually impossible to live with, but for a very short period of time they (usually) do work well. Specifically the induction phase of the Atkins diet. Most people have outrageous success. And since you don't have to keep it up for long, it's that much easier. But if that's not your cup of tea, good luck with the Optifast, and keep us posted about your surgery. :)

I was banded on August 24th in St. Louis by Dr. Minkin. He's awesome! Unfortunately I developed a couple of seromas which led to removing the port part of the band for 10 weeks. I have lost 45 lbs. The port was replaced on Dec. 21st. I am doing great now and can't wait for my next fill probably in February. It is great wearing clothes I haven't worn in years!:clap2: My diabetes meds are cut in half and my blood pressure is in control. I am so glad I decided to do this , even with the complications that I had.

Freeskye, I would never suggest this as a "long-term" alternative, but have you ever tried a low-carb diet? They're virtually impossible to live with, but for a very short period of time they (usually) do work well. Specifically the induction phase of the Atkins diet. Most people have outrageous success. And since you don't have to keep it up for long, it's that much easier. But if that's not your cup of tea, good luck with the Optifast, and keep us posted about your surgery. :)

Wheetsin,

The Adkins induction was not offered as an alternative. My Doc just said I need to be on optifast and lose at least 20 -30lbs before surgery. I think that if I am having a really hard time with the optifast I will use adkins type food ie; low fat protiens and low carb veg. to supplement so I don't screw up the ketosis. My surgeon won't do the surgery until I lose the weight and I want to meet the Feb. 21st surgery date. I have done medifast before so I know that I can do it, but the first couple of days are really hard. By the way your stats are great, you are quite an inspiration.

Jean

:dance: I had my first fill the 15th and from the first time I saw the surgeon (mid Jan), till then I am down exactly 30 lbs ( 337 to 307.) I am 5'6 with the starting BMi about 54. This morning I am at 299.5! I made my first mini goal! From here on out tho- i expect it will be slower. It amazes me just how good i have been feeling and there is already a difference in the amount of pain in my knees. Will admit that the amount of excersise this week has been way up- 2 snow storms in one week for a total of about 18 inches that has to be cleared from walks and driveway definately helps! I have no idea how much I will be able to loose- just want to keep going till I am happy with how i look and feel! Think 150 is possible??? Will settle for 175. I am definately in it for the long haul!:clap2:

Hi I am new and your probably about the same time as me...I was banded and filled the same day due to me having a large liver and etc. I have gone one week and I don't know what I am doing should I start eating or drinking the Protein Shakes I feel hungry he filled me to 8 ccs so I am little confused. Thanks for any help tina

:) :girl_hug: Hi I am Tina I was banded and filled on Jan 5th I had to be filled the next day..due to an oversize liver and etc. so he filled me to 8cc. I have gone through the week recovering and drinking my Protein Drinks but Today which is Saturday I fill hungry is that normal? I am really scared that It won't work I am at 330 and I need this so I feel like a failure already that I am hungry:phanvan So any advice out there would be so helpful Thanks for having this on line.

Hey! I'm back and banded! I just wanted to pass through and let everyone know.

I'll check back in after I've had a chance to get a little more rest.

G'day All :)

I wonder if someone could let me know how you "quote" (refer to someones post text and it copies in the reply here?) hahaha hope that made sense and someone knows what I mean?

Freeskye: Good Luck with your loss before surgery. I loved and still love Optifast so I don't have a problem. Once I went on Optifast for 3 months and lost 20kg's (44lbs) Mind you I put it all back on once I got a taste for food LOL.

Wheetsin: Congratulations on a FANTASTIC weight loss :girl_hug:

MaryMary: WoW 45lbs in excellent CONGRATS. I can't weight till my signature reads weight losses like that :girl_hug:

Inner Me: Welcome Home, Welcome Back and Congratulations on your banding :) I hope it's a successful journey for you. This Forum is a great source of support, reference and information, wished I'd found it beofre I had my surgery, but glad I've found it now :) Keep us posted on how your going :)

I wonder if someone could let me know how you "quote" (refer to someones post text and it copies in the reply here?) hahaha hope that made sense and someone knows what I mean?

Do you see the icon in the bottom right corner of each and every post that says Quote? Click on it.

:phanvan :biggrin1: Hi I am bog bander I had a bmi of over 50 at 330 lbs So I feel like I am in different setting everyone I know have a bmi of 40 or less:phanvan So I am needing some support here

You're in the right place, Tina! Where are you in your band journey? Pre-op? Post-op? Give us some info and we'll give you all the support you need....