Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excessive PB-ing on purpose

Joyce

Please be careful. I caused my band to slip by intentional PBing. I think it is bulimia. It is an eating disorder. Now I have changed to anorexia to try and fight the battle. It was so hard to admit to my Dr. He was understanding. I guess we wouldn't have got so big if we weren't so screwed up with our eating.[/quote}

:straightI am sorry if I made you so upset. I just feel so strongly about this subject! I am bulimic and I struggle everyday to keep from purging all my food. So i do understand eating dsiorders on a personal level, which makes my heart go out to you ..even if it was in a tough way! It was your own words that caused me to question you! At no point in your post do you say you were told by a Dr that you were anorexic. You say in your post that YOU changed to anorexia and that you had to ADMIT it to your Dr. That does not sound like you have been totaly honest here with anybody including yourself. I do not want to fuss back and forth, that was never my intention. Like I have said before, I lost my best friend to this terrible disease and I pray to God that you DO NOT have it. If you do , please get help today! You deserve to have a normal life. I wish you all the best!

sorry Terrlilen I don't want to have an argument with you. i am in a fragile state at the moment. I think i am on the verge of a mental breakdown. I have been deliberately mean to a dear friend which is totally out of character for me. I normally avoid confrontation.

I didn't think it was such a big deal I was simply restricting my food because I wanted to lose weight. But my therapist and Dr are freaking out over it. They are diagnosing anorexia which seems strange to me.

Tis the season for major stress! Listen to your Dr's they have your best intrest at heart. You must be soo careful not to give in to the urge to restrict so severly. I know it is hard to do when you want the weight off so bad! I go thru it daily trying not to purge my food! I have learned that if you will be kind to your body and it will reward you. Pick up the phone and call that dear friend of yours and tell them how much they mean to you. Before you know it you will start to feel some sence of peace. You take good care! We are all here if you need us!

Yes my diagnosis has changed to anorexia. How dare you question me!! I could scan the official papers to show you if you wanted me to prove it. I didn't use the word to get attention. I didn't use the word myself. My dr used if first last week. I have a skim milk latte for Breakfast and then I eat a meal every third day or so when i am with company (I live alone). I thought because I had a normal bmi that I was ok. but the drs are freaking out because I am not eating. I can't see what the problem is. I think I have the right to look normal. I am arguing with my therapist that i have a right to be a normal weight.

A BMI like yours is what most people in the western world wish for.... if you do not eat at least 800-1000 calories per day you are doing damage to your body. Not enough nutrients, therefore no ability have your body function properly. Your muscle is being used for food and you will suffer from heart problems, extreme weakness to where you might not be able to move , liver and kidney failure.... yes they are right in being concerned... Did you know that by not eating your body goes into starvation mode and therefore actually does not let you lose weight?? After a while you will, but you would also be killing yourself. I hope you can figure out why you feel like you do. By the way...the models on magazines....most of them are anorexic!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I have been seeing alot of questions regarding Pbing as of late. This thread enters the "dark" side of what can happen if you push PBing too far. As said before newbies and wannabies should read this.

I PB'd on purpose...to relieve the discomfort from overeating and other reasons...and it is NOT the same as bulimia. If I did not experience discomfort, it did not happen. I no longer have my band due to slippage and no longer "PB" on purpose. If I was bulimic, I would.

That said, try and break the habit!

hi guys - new to this thread. Yesterday like an idiot, i was sitting with my children and somehow (temporary insanity I guess) forgot that i am on mushies only - only 10 days post op. since then it is stuck and boy is it uncomfortable. I not only feel pressure (no real pain - just discomfort) but nausea as well. However, I am afraid to throw up and hurt the band. Is PB'ing the answer for this? If so - I dont know exactly what it is or how you would do it. Otherwise how else can I remove this stupid little peice causing so musch discomfort. I tried sipping Hot drinks - didnt work. Any advice would be great!!! thanks all. :help: :welldone:

If I am uncomfortable and sliming, I can cough and the offending piece usually comes out. I found this out at work one day by accident. I really grossed out a couple of co-workers. I'm very careful when and where I cough now, but nothing ever happens unless I'm uncomfortable. hope this helps!

Lynne

Lynners....

HA... Very funny story on a serious subject.

You could use that as an interoffice weapon, perhaps.

Hi - I'm new here - banded by Dr. Benavides in DFW 29 Nov 06 - first fill here in Albuquerque 2 Jan 07. I've been PBing 3 - 4 times a week since then. No one told me to 1) go to liquids and mushies the first few days after the fill, and 2) back to liquids/mushies after PB. Shoot. Wish I'd found this site earlier!!

Have to admit I've had mixed emotions about the PB - I've been trying to learn my body's signals for "SLOW DOWN" and "STOP!!!" Thought if I just learned those signals, I'd quit PBing. The PAIN, oh, the pain! (And the relief after PB). ... Also noticed I'm losing weight faster, so I didn't want to get unfilled, but worried about slippage.

OK - from today on - since I PB'd after lunch today - liquids & mushies the rest of the day. CONCENTRATE!!! on chewing and small bites; pay attention to WHAT I'm eating and WHEN I get the pain (good to know the pouch and band can vary at different times of the day).

When do I worry about too much PB and go for an unfill?

Hi,

I was banded by Dr Benavides on Sept. 28. They were all really nice, but I've gotten more information from here than from his office. Are you drinking while you eat? I know that they said very small sips were ok to help liquify the food, but I PBed all the time when I drank anything while eating. I miss drinking while eating, but I like the lack of pain even better.

I don't know from experience, but from reading you need and unfill when you Pb every time you eat and can't keep liquids down.

Hope this helps,

Lynne

Hi - I'm new here - banded by Dr. Benavides in DFW 29 Nov 06 - first fill here in Albuquerque 2 Jan 07. I've been PBing 3 - 4 times a week since then. No one told me to 1) go to liquids and mushies the first few days after the fill, and 2) back to liquids/mushies after PB. Shoot. Wish I'd found this site earlier!!

Have to admit I've had mixed emotions about the PB - I've been trying to learn my body's signals for "SLOW DOWN" and "STOP!!!" Thought if I just learned those signals, I'd quit PBing. The PAIN, oh, the pain! (And the relief after PB). ... Also noticed I'm losing weight faster, so I didn't want to get unfilled, but worried about slippage.

OK - from today on - since I PB'd after lunch today - liquids & mushies the rest of the day. CONCENTRATE!!! on chewing and small bites; pay attention to WHAT I'm eating and WHEN I get the pain (good to know the pouch and band can vary at different times of the day).

When do I worry about too much PB and go for an unfill?

It only takes A ONE PB to slip your band! I'm living proof I slipped my band and I only PB'd 2 times. I've only had the band for 4 months, so it CAN happen at anytime. I worry about those of you who do it on purpose. I don't want anyone to go through what I'm having to go through. PLEASE STOP for the love of God and your Band STOP PBing! If you have pain when you eat that means something is stuck and you can slip your band from that alone even if you don't PB. If you have pain when you eat you NEED a slight unfill. If you keep going down this path you will also slip YOUR band before YOUR scars heal!

April (and others that expressed concern)

It had been a week since I wrote - and I'd been concentrating on doing everything right. (Eat slow, small bites, chew well, etc). Thought "Yippee! Got this PB thing licked." No pain, choking, or other problems.

Then, I got cocky. On the way home today, I thought about stopping for takeout. Decided "no"; felt real proud of myself. Roadblocks! Couldn't go my usual way home - saw the drive-thru Chinese and took it as an omen. Had a little bit of the cashew chicken and rice - yum good. Went down fine. Two hours later, I pulled it out of the fridge and took 3 bites - yipes! Just a little PB, and back to liquids today.

The rest of the chix is back in the fridge - trying again tomorrow. Don't know if it was being reheated, left-over status, shrinking pouch, or what. If I choke again, the dogs will get a real treat.

Anyway, thanks for caring and your support!

Hi!

I have had my band for a little over a year and I also have episodes of vomiting. I may eat too much, too fast and it can be painful, so I need to relieve the pressure. I know it is not good, so I am trying to be mindful of my eating.