Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Grass Isn't Greener On The Gastric Bypass Side

I was banded in January 2012, and within months of me, two of my real life friends had Gastric Bypass. One had it in October 2011 and the other February 2012. We all started out with over 200 pounds to lose. I was originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass, too. But, I canceled the surgery because I simply couldn't justify permanently rerouting my internal organs without trying something far less drastic first. So, I got the Lap-Band instead.

Like so many others on here, I heard endlessly how I was a fool for choosing the Lap-Band over Gastric Bypass. "Oh you'll be lucky to lose 50 pounds with Lap-Band"... "You should have Gastric Bypass, you'll dump a ton of weight much faster"... "why don't you stick with the sure thing, Gastric Bypass, rather than waste your time with Lap-Band?". Believe me, I heard it all, so much so I even began to doubt myself and my decision. What if they were right?

But I researched not only the Lap-Band but the Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass thoroughly. I knew the pros and cons of each, I knew what the surgeries entailed, and I knew that regardless of which one I chose the work would be mine to do and I'd have to make diet changes for a lifetime. I knew Lap-Band was right for me, so despite the naysayers, I went through with it.

Fast forward to now, July 2012...

• My friend who had Gastric Bypass in October 2011 has lost 64 pounds. She lost all that in the first 3 months and hasn't lost anything in the last 6 months. She never really changed her eating habits because she figured she didn't need to with the Gastric Bypass. She did cut back on portions in the beginning, but currently she admits that aside from vomiting occasionally from eating fatty foods or sweets, she eats pretty much like she did before surgery.
  • My friend who had Gastric Bypass in February 2012 has lost 14 pounds. She hasn't changed a single thing about her eating habits and is vomiting multiple times daily from trying to overeat.
  • I, who had Lap-Band in January 2012, have lost 121 pounds. I am far from perfect, I struggle with head hunger almost daily, and I definitely have times I eat unhealthy foods. But the majority of the time I eat very healthy and follow the portion and nutritional guidelines my nutritionist gave me.

My point isn't to gloat, or to say "See, Lap-Band is better!" My point is the fact that it doesn't matter which WLS you choose, you MUST DO THE WORK YOURSELF. I don't care if it's Gastric Bypass, the Sleeve, or Lap-Band. The surgeries are tools not magic pills. If you don't change your eating habits to healthy ones for a lifetime you simply will not get the results you desire. Period, no exceptions. I hear people say all the time "Oh I got the band because I don't want to diet". Of course, we all did, but guess what? You do have to eat healthy, not just for awhile like a diet, but for a lifetime.

Ultimately, no matter which WLS surgery you choose, your success or failure depends on you not the surgery itself.

Well said!!! Congrats on your phenomenal weight loss, you have worked your butt off and it shows!!

Thanks for posting this! You've had great success because you followed the rules! I congratulate you and wish for your continued success! I'm inspired by your devotion and strength!

Thank you for this post and congrats on the weight loss that's amazing!

You are exactly right. You have to go into it ready to change, you did and have been very successful. Congrats!

Mis--nothing but love and admiration to you GF.

in total awe and def encouraged me today. I love all your posts.

Even those w/elephant you know whats and my big pink bow I am tying around it :wub:

Thanks for the story. You are so right, we do have to change our lifestyle for LIFE. Congratulations on your success! I always love reading your posts. You are a great role model, thanks again.

Awesome story ! Very inspiring !! What do ur friends say about lap band now? Are they considering it.?

Wow you are such an inspiration!!! Thank you for posting this !!!!!!! :D

This was a great story to share!! Kuddos to you for following your own instincts on this one. I have not been banded yet, but I come on this forum daily and am continuously reassured that I am making the right decision. Keep up the good work!!

Thanx for this posting. I am in the beginning stages of this process and am happy to have found this forum. I am in search for all the information and advice that i can find.

Mis.... Just curious, do you exercise also? I cannot bring myself to start!!!!

Thanks for the kind words all, but really it's not about me at all. It's making the point that no surgery is a magic fix for fat, they all take work :)

@bigenuff- My friends don't say a word about the band now lol. To be honest, they kinda avoid the topic with me entirely. I think they're both too busy eating crow after giving me such a hard time about choosing it

@JennyBee- My exercise is limited. I do move/walk/do yard work tons more than I have in years, and I will continue to increase my movement as my body allows. However, I have Multiple Sclerosis, so I have physical issues beyond my weight. However, losing weight has helped tremendously. I used to need a handicapped parking spot just to make it to the front doors of the grocery store. Sometimes I needed a motorized cart to shop. Now, not only do I park intentionally in far spots but I can easily walk the entire mall many times over. It's a huge improvement!

Great post... and awesome job Mis73. You are a band rockstar. Keep it up!!!

I read this story with my wife, it's amazing to read about your success. My father-in-law had a bypass in 1997 he has lost close to 200 lbs, but he also suffers from all the the things the bypass can give you... Dumping syndrome, deficiencies in Iron, Calcium, b-12. His sister in law had it done and shares the same success as your friends. Surprisingly my cousin who is also a nurse recently chose the bypass and has done very well (I said surprisingly because being a medical professional I thought the cons to the bypass would have moved her toward the band) anyway she's already made herself available to help me and hasn't said a word about my WLS choice and that's very cool.