Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

% Of Slipped Bands

Does anyone know the current % of patients that experience a slipped band or know of a legit site i can look the statics up? Looking to also see if the % varies between the realize band and allergan's lap band.

Also the % of patients who need their band replaced due to errosion/ time.

They say 20%, but I was talking to my surgeon the other day and new statistics are showing that on or over 50% of patients have to have surgical intervention at some point. This is general. Not specific to either band.

I had erosion, but it is much rarer now with the Realize band.

I hope this doesn't scare you too much. I did lose a ton of weight. Just know the risks. :)

Thanks. I'm getting the realize band on the 18th. Now that i know im having the surgery it just seems like i have seen a lot lately about slippage. That could be due to my nerves and my brain is now focusing on the negs. I just wanted to make sure i knew the statistics and be well knowledgeable when i do take the plunge.

Some of the statistics that are available for slippage and erosion will not reflect the input some people had to their own downfall, some people didnt go to see their surgeon for a long time and then go back once the problems occur, some over ate with the band put weight on and made the band tighter again with visceral fat, and that can cause slippage or erosion. Of course there is a chance , as with any surgery, something will go wrong as with the gastric bypass or the sleeve, the main thing is is to not take any chances with the band and it is essential that u keep it maintained, by at least 1 x yearly check up with your surgeon. Minimising the risks can help prevent problems but we all have to accept that life doesnt give us guarantees on anything, what is guaranteed is the obesity related illness u are facing if u dont do something about your weight .. It would be like having a car, driving it everyday and not having it serviced, eventually it will go wrong .

I do understand some people lose their insurance and are unable to afford to get their band checked , but again statistics can only reflect numbers rarely do they reflect the causes :)

Very true cazzy!

Cazzy is right.....

I have the Lap-band AP system. At least that's what my card says....

My doctor says he only sees about 15 % with slippage but that the majority of those are from patients who got the surgery more than 5 years ago when technique and product were new. and where the surgery was done by a general sugeon rather than a specialized Bariactric surgeon. He said if he had to put a number on those that have the newer band put in place by his office the slips are less than 10 %.

Good to now patientlywaiting. Thanks