Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everybody, I am just starting my journey to getting my lapband surgery. I am 5'2, 222 lbs with a 40 BMI. I am going on my 2nd month of getting setup for this procedure. I have TriCare Prime insurance.

My PC doctor sent in my referral and I have been referred to Dr. Lavin at Surgical Specalist of Louisiana. I have completed my inital visit and I have completed all of my "Homework" as they call it.

I have one snag that is holding up my paperwork from being sent over to Tricare for final approval.. My Thirod levels are out of whack. I was diagnoised with Hypothyroidism about 3 months ago and I was prescribed a 25 mg dose of Levothyroiod and I took it for a few days and stopped. I felt no difference and figured, "What's the big deal!". Well I'm here to tell you it is a big deal.

The surgical office is holding off sending in my paperwork until my levels are ok. That makes me crazy. I have restarted the medications, again still no diference in how I feel. I have went back to have my blood drawn again after two weeks of taking the medications and my doctors office will not give me the results over the phone. It's been about 4 days since they had the labs and I was told a letter was mailed with the results. Guess what, I checked the mail today.. Still not letter.

I am feeling so discouraged right now. The surgical office said their hands are tied and it's up to me and my PC doctor to get my levels stable. I am so close to having my packet sent to the insurance, but yet so far.

If anyone can offer and words of encouragement. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Beautiful-B

Hi Beautiful-B,

I too have a problem with my thyroid and am prescribed 125mcg per day. Initially it took several rounds of blood tests and different mcg's to figure out how much I should be taking and how often. The process of leveling out my thyroid took a good 5-6 months. I can honestly tell you I felt no difference in the way I felt early on however, now I can really tell when I dont take my medication. I would urge you to press on and continue taking the pills because it is only helping you (even if you dont feel the difference).

As far as not hearing from your doctor ... SHOW UP at the office, they will have no choice but to give you the information you need.

Keep pushing!!!!

Good idea. Take the matter in your own hands. and you will be sure it gets done.

I also take that thyroid medication. Keep going forward and never give up. I think Tricare is a good insurance. Dont give up the ship for anything~ delays happen but you don't delay what is the best thing for you.

Hello Everybody' date=' I am just starting my journey to getting my lapband surgery. I am 5'2, 222 lbs with a 40 BMI. I am going on my 2nd month of getting setup for this procedure. I have TriCare Prime insurance.

My PC doctor sent in my referral and I have been referred to Dr. Lavin at Surgical Specalist of Louisiana. I have completed my inital visit and I have completed all of my "Homework" as they call it.

I have one snag that is holding up my paperwork from being sent over to Tricare for final approval.. My Thirod levels are out of whack. I was diagnoised with Hypothyroidism about 3 months ago and I was prescribed a 25 mg dose of Levothyroiod and I took it for a few days and stopped. I felt no difference and figured, "What's the big deal!". Well I'm here to tell you it is a big deal.

The surgical office is holding off sending in my paperwork until my levels are ok. That makes me crazy. I have restarted the medications, again still no diference in how I feel. I have went back to have my blood drawn again after two weeks of taking the medications and my doctors office will not give me the results over the phone. It's been about 4 days since they had the labs and I was told a letter was mailed with the results. Guess what, I checked the mail today.. Still not letter.

I am feeling so discouraged right now. The surgical office said their hands are tied and it's up to me and my PC doctor to get my levels stable. I am so close to having my packet sent to the insurance, but yet so far.

If anyone can offer and words of encouragement. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Beautiful-B[/quote']

I also was diagnosed with hypothyroidism around the time I started this process. My pcp started me on 25mcg which has worked to stabilize so far.

The thyroid operating properly is crucial in this journey because the thyroid can cause an issue in losing weight.

Did you get tested for other things, like low Iron or a sleep study?

Beautiful B ,

I have had hypothyroidism for about 15 years. Found out when I was going to the diet doc for pills .

My endocrinologist only prescribes synthroid - the generic brand levithyroxine can very with it's active ingredients .

With that being said it can take a good 6 weeks for them to see a change either way , then you should be re-checked every 3 months .

I was banded on 4-25-2012 , and when I went to my PCP for follow lab work after I was in a hyperthyroid state . For now we are going to keep meds the same , and re-check in July .

Good luck with your journey !!!!

Thank you all for your support. I finally recieved my lab results in the mail and my levels are still a bit elevated. However, In an act of faith, I called the Tricare approval line and my precedure has been "Approved". I am super excited. I am about to email the doctors office to let them know, if they don't know already. I am off to changing my life. Yay!

Thank you all,

Beautiful-B

Good news for you...Keep us in your mind and friend us. best wishes. change your life and your lifestyle. You will be very happy when you do that.

I am 2 days out from surgery. I cant belive its finally here.

I am 2 days out from surgery. I cant belive its finally here.

good look beautiful, you will do wonderful :)