Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits

Hi Picardy3,

congratulations and best luck to you with your recovery!!

Guys does any of you have any doubts about the operation? Im still asking myself if I couldnt lose weight myself.Why? Because I am afraid that I wont be able to eat my favorite stuff. e.g.salad with chicken or tuna salad or even watermelon-I was told by my dietetician that watermelon causes a lot of complications,or even apples(if not peeld) I cant imagine that I will have to peel tomatoes,peppers,apples,grapes etc.or at least I was told this.

I know that I wont lose the weight myself, but since the op date is closer and closer I have doubts.

Oh today I had a nightmare that they were operating me and some not so experienced lady surgeon told me to sew the stitches myself...

Im getting crazy:-)

I had a few doubts after my surgery. But I can understand why you are having them prior to your surgery. It's normal to be afraid of taking such a big step and changing so many things about the way you eat. But you can do it, if you went as far as going through all of the hoops they make you jump through to get a surgery date, you must really want it. So, go for it.

I am also an April 2006 Bandster. Congrats to all who have had the procedure and those who have been "blessed" with a surgery date!

WHoooo hoooooo to the April bandits (I know, I know...it is "bandsters" but just humour me and let me pretend I'm gonna be a cowboy like Jesse James!)....anyways, I digress!....those of you who've recently had it done...I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the best; keep us posted on your progress (but don't scare us!). Mine is on the 21st...I'm 4 days into that dang pre-op diet but on a good note, I found an AMAZINGLY tasty yougurt!! (Source's: vanilla apple crumble...mmmmm * mouth waters just thinking of it *). By the way, my husband said y'all are gonna think I'm a guy because of the "Yoda" thing...but nope; I'm more of a Yodette!! Good luck all...and for those of us who are doing the pre-op diet right now...lets hang in there!!!!!!!:nervous

:clap2:

Hey, my turtle has moved thru the grass!!!! kewl!! Such a persnickety lil' fella!!!

:nervous

Hey all, it's great to hear from a few that have already gone though it. I'm also getting a bit nervous, but it's to late to back out now! I have my pre-op tomorrow with the surgeon and hopefully will finalize everything. I also started my preop diet yesterday, and i cheated on the very first day! I had ice cream after dinner...and I was doing so well. Today went better, it's almost bed time and I did everything right today. I'll check my weight again on Monday to see how its coming. I'm not even on a liquid diet like the rest of you, just a low fat, low carb diet.. I don't know how you do the liquid diet BEFORE surgery. Kudos to you all!

Welcome home Nissi, I was wondering how things went for you and little one . I'm happy that things went smoothly for you and that your home safe and sound.

My knees are starting to knock and I still have 2 weeks to go!!!!! Yikes!!!!

Roberta

Our list sure has grown. This is soooooo exciting! :clap2:

For those of you on your pre-op diet and you're thinking about cheating, let me share a word of advice they gave me, (I think it scared me into staying on plan more than anything.)

My pre-op nurse told us that if we don't follow the pre-op diet and Dr. Smith gets in there and your fatty liver is in the way and he can't work around it, then he'll just sew you up and send you on your way. You will get all of the pain of surgery and NOT have a band in the end.

The first question I had in recovery was "Did he do it? Am I banded?" because I just KNEW that even though I had not cheated, my liver would still be as big as ever and everything I had been through would have been for nought.

Needless to say, that comment kept me on the straight and narrow, even when I was tempted with pizza :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: one day at work.

Hang in there! You can do anything for two weeks to get the prize at the end!

Come here and vent if you need to, but hold on, your time is coming.

Audra

:biggrin1: Whoops from work I mean, hehe,not the surgery! I finished my last day today at work, I am on day 7 of my Protein Shakes and Soup and only 5 days of it left now.

But guess what everyone, I am being so good, and when I went to work, my uniform didn't feel as tight, I was quite excited. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I am glad to be finishing for now though, as I had to eat my 'shakes' in front of everyone and they were all being nosey and wanting to know what was happening, I don't want to be explaining to people, I haven't even told my friends yet, but I will have to tell them something as they talk to me nearly everyday and will know something is happening. I go for a weigh-in tomorrow so I am curious to see how much I have lost, and I get to hand over lots of money to them ...............good thing I can't eat any easter eggs, I can't afford them hehehe!!!

Wow, I can't believe how big our list is now, I remember starting this thread and thinking to myself 'oh no, what if no-one writes':confused: :) , and now we nearly need a website of our own hehehe!!!! I was away for 48hours just now and there were 3 pages of new posts to read!!!!!

Hey, has anyone heard back from Alisonb from South Africa?

Amourette!!!!!:biggrin1:

Well I am just a few days away from my surgery date. I am getting very excited. I have been on the preop diet for almost thirty days, I know that this is a long time but I did not want the doc to get in there and then tell me that my liver was still to big and send me home to loose more weight.

Keep the info coming as it has been a real blessing for me and others to hear it all good and bad............................

What Protein Drinks are you drinking?

...and did u just decide to drink them or did they want u to drink them pre-op. I know I need some for post-op and haven't yet determined which ones to get.

Wow thanks for all the great advice. I am going for surgery on May 25 and just reading all the info makes me really excited. You hear great things that your doc. does not have time to explain, so thanks all. I am having mine done in Toronto so any Torontonians out there let me know. Thanks for letting me be part of such an encouraging group

Ok I know all doctors are different but I wasn't given a pre op diet! My pre op day is 2 days before surgery so I guess I won't get one, but that would really suck if they open me up and then decide not to do anything because of the fatty stuff or a big liver ,I think that's what u were saying ! Great now this is something else to add to my list of worries! I'm calling the doctors office first thing tomorrow !:)

Our list sure has grown. This is soooooo exciting! :clap2:

For those of you on your pre-op diet and you're thinking about cheating, let me share a word of advice they gave me, (I think it scared me into staying on plan more than anything.)

My pre-op nurse told us that if we don't follow the pre-op diet and Dr. Smith gets in there and your fatty liver is in the way and he can't work around it, then he'll just sew you up and send you on your way. You will get all of the pain of surgery and NOT have a band in the end.

The first question I had in recovery was "Did he do it? Am I banded?" because I just KNEW that even though I had not cheated, my liver would still be as big as ever and everything I had been through would have been for nought.

Needless to say, that comment kept me on the straight and narrow, even when I was tempted with pizza :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: one day at work.

Hang in there! You can do anything for two weeks to get the prize at the end!

Come here and vent if you need to, but hold on, your time is coming.

Audra

Hi Tipper,

yes I want the band and jumping through hoop has been my disipline for 3months already:-)As you said I think its kind of normal to have doubts,the idea of being normal again keeps me enthusiastic:-)) Thank you for your reply.

How is after banding?

Good luck to you:-)

Wow thanks for all the great advice. I am going for surgery on May 25 and just reading all the info makes me really excited. You hear great things that your doc. does not have time to explain, so thanks all. I am having mine done in Toronto so any Torontonians out there let me know. Thanks for letting me be part of such an encouraging group

I'm getting my done in Toronto (TLBC) on 21 Apr.

don't worry, not all are required to follow the post op diet; it depends on how much you weigh whether it is required. So, if you weren't told you need it; you don't need it!! Just be happy and have a couple of treats if you want leading up to the surgery!! :hungry: