Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits

I saw the nutritionist last week and she put me on a low carb low fat diet which i thought wasn't to bad, but I just got back from my pre op and the doc told me that I need to go on a liquid diet the week before the surgery :faint: bummer, I thought I had gotten out of that one. Any way I'm scheduled for 2:00pm on the 26th. He said I need to be at the hospital at 11:00 and that after 8:00am I can't drink or eat any thing...not even water! Did you guys have to do that? I'm getting really nervous now. He prescribed me a sedative to take the night before to help calm my nerves. This is my first surgery and I'm freaking out! :D

Heather, it is VERY important not to eat or drink before surgery. It can mean your life! If you had something to eat or drink it is possible to aspirate into your lungs while under the anesthesia. You definitely don't want that to happen. Not to worry, they will take good care of you.

Roberta

Thanks... I think, that sounds even more serious! I wish they were doing the surgery in the morning instead of in the afternoon. it would make it a lot easier to get through that part.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Thanks Nissi! I am definitely adding that to my list. I am a pain wimp! So glad to hear your surgery went well. Mine is Monday, I have been having nightmares. Last night I dreamed that my heart wouldn't stop bleeding...I know :D that is crazy! I think it is the first time surgery gitters. I had pre-op today and I get to be on Clear Liquids Easter Sunday. AND drink MILK of MAGNESIA....imagine how fun my egg hunt will be:D .

Amourette and Shackdog, how are you two doing?

Hey LIttleone, we are waiting to hear from you. Please be ok.

4-11 tlj and Reyna and Vickie1177 and dsrjrr ~ I had trouble sleeping the night you guys were banded so I just wanted to let you know you were on my heart and I hope everything went well. I spent some time praying for you.

4-12 Infaith and JenWillwin ~I am hoping everything went well for you guys too! I remembered you this am in my devotion.

<O:p</O:p

4-13 Nursekathy2u ~NurseKathy tag your it! I will be lifting you up as well. Have a great surgery and let us know how you are.<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yoda, I had no choice but to have 3 Protein Shakes only a day, one can be substituted with an instant Soup that they provide, they are called Dr McLoeds and I think they are only available in Australia and New Zealand. I haven't researched yet into finding a Protein Drink for after surgery but you have reminded me I must start looking!!!!

Sorry this doesn't help ya much!

Cheers from amourette

:update: Hi everybody,

today I had my preop.It was ok they took my blood,urine then EKG,Spirometry and some other tests. The doc said that everything looks fine and Im ready to go.

Im still questioning the Protein Drinks because I asked my doc about it specifically and he said its not that important so where the heck is the truth? I will have to crash pills to powder for at least a mont,I was told that and afterwards I can cut them into quarters and try it.Doc said that they had someone whos pill got stuck and it wasnt nice. I also met some ladies who already had the surgery and they were excercising after 6 days???They also said that there were no problems with the gas and burping (I spoke to six ladies) nor the gas from the operation.

I was also told that if I have excessive skin on my stomach that they will make reconstructive surgery,charge my insurance company and tell them that its because of hygienic reasons (you can get mold or some infection) so I wont have to pay for it.

Maybe you could use this reasoning as well:-)

Good luck to you all and keep updated:)

:biggrin1: Whoops from work I mean, hehe,not the surgery! I finished my last day today at work, I am on day 7 of my Protein Shakes and Soup and only 5 days of it left now.

But guess what everyone, I am being so good, and when I went to work, my uniform didn't feel as tight, I was quite excited. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I am glad to be finishing for now though, as I had to eat my 'shakes' in front of everyone and they were all being nosey and wanting to know what was happening, I don't want to be explaining to people, I haven't even told my friends yet, but I will have to tell them something as they talk to me nearly everyday and will know something is happening. I go for a weigh-in tomorrow so I am curious to see how much I have lost, and I get to hand over lots of money to them ...............good thing I can't eat any easter eggs, I can't afford them hehehe!!!

Wow, I can't believe how big our list is now, I remember starting this thread and thinking to myself 'oh no, what if no-one writes':confused: :Banane04: , and now we nearly need a website of our own hehehe!!!! I was away for 48hours just now and there were 3 pages of new posts to read!!!!!

Hey, has anyone heard back from Alisonb from South Africa?

Amourette!!!!!:biggrin1:

Hey Amourette

I got a reply from my doc. I will add it here.

Thank you for your enquiry. To answer your questions...

You give no history of heartburn. You therefore very unlikely have a hiatus hernia or Helicobacter infection. I considered doing a gastroscopy, but decided it to be unnecessary. A gastroscopy is also quite expensive.

As regards an ultrasound scan to look for gallstones, once again, you give no history to suggest biliary colic (gallstone symptoms). Nevertheless I shall check your gallbladder at 08h10 on the day using my ultrasound scanner (at no cost). In the event that you do have a gallstone, I feel that it should not be removed at same sitting . Removal would be necessary in the event of symptoms (and would then be covered by your medical aid).

You do not appear to be pale. I doubt blood tests would indicate anaemia or other significant abnormality.

My anaesthetist will see you in the ward prior to the procedure. In the absence of a cardiac history, he will unlikely request an ECG.

I do not require that you follow a specific diet in the week prior to surgery. However, it is very important that you fast from 24h00 the night before. Also do not take your diabetic tablet on the day.

Love

Alison

Oh lovely to hear back from you, I was quite worried and thought you might not come back on here! How do you feel about your doctors statement, are you still happy about going ahead with it?

hum....his info doesn't seem quiet right. Just because you have no history doesn't mean that there might not be something. How does he know what your blood test will show just from the color of your skin? Sorry I know this isn't much help. Let us know what else happens.

:update:

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I am now officially in bandland. I was banded on the 11th as you all know. Surgery went very well. Dr. Randall is an excellent surgeon. The first day I was in a bit of pain but as the second and third day came I just feel like I am getting my period. Last night I even slept on my belly:). I am now taking Tylenol because they gave me perks and I dont like the way they make me feel. I do however have alot of gas and I have not even had my first bowel movement whick I am hoping that it will relieve some pressure.

Well I just wanted to give yall an update hope all the other fellow bandster and bandits are doing well.

Vickie

Glad to hear all went well, I am feeling a boit nervous, but also jealous as hell!!! I want mine done and behind me!! Pre-op diet is going so so....not seeing any weight loss, but I am sure it is healthier anyway!! Hope all continues to go well for you, I'll be watching to see how you do!

Kat

hi all, hope everyone is well and post ops are going smoothly. i had my band place 4/3 and i am updating my condition. i feel great!!! and i am just 10 days post-op.

:biggrin1:

Last evening i was very bored so i went grocery shopping by myself at Walmart for 1.5 hrs. (dangerously exepensive to shop at walmart that long) then today i went for a 30 min brisk walk.

:guess

the only pain i have is a bit of stinging in my port incision, and occasionaly i have some stinging in the port area.

sleeping wise i am able to lay on both sides as long as i prop my arm with a pillow, and that makes me very very happy because i can't sleep well on my back. my hubby even said he saw me sleeping on my stomach last night.

the absolute best news is the food. doc gave me an advance diet as tolerated order. i am still going with soft/pureed food for the next 3 weeks with moist meats included. for Breakfast i can eat 1 packet of instant oatmeal runny, then when my band is a little more open i am able to eat about 2-3 oz moist chicken with gravy, about 1/2 cup mashed potatoes and that makes up a meal. i can tell my band empties in about 3-4 hours and i am able to eat again. i am stuggling with true hunger and head hunger/cravings, because when i get busy and am not bored i don't even think about eating unless my stomach starts growling really loud. even then i can still ignore it. but boy when i have nothing to do food is all i think about. currently i am getting about 1200 cals a day. once i can have some more solid food i think that will drop because i will phase out the starchy potatoes ect. and start in on veggies. so meals will be meat and veggies. i am not even missing bready stuff. chocolate cakey stuff is another story.

i hope my story helps soothe some anxiety, and i wish everyone success!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

jen

:bandit Ok it looks like Miper70 is up on the list for tomorrow. :bandit Best wishes to you!

JenRN I am glad for your successful surgery. Take it easy girl. Don't over do...I know like you really needed to hear that...but do be careful.

HEY!! I'm back!

Yes, I was scheduled for rebanding on 4/12/06, but when I got there on 4/11/06 and started pre-ops (including an endoscopy), they asked if I would mind having it done a day earlier.

I did end up having a hiatal hernia that they fixed. Dr. Martinez said everyone that they have rebanded had this and it was an easy fix. Also because I have been banded before there was some scar tissue around my stomach so they placed my band above the scar tissue. I was told his should help with slippage. Dr. Ortiz told my sister that I might lose weight a little faster too because of it sitting as high as it can. To me, it means I will need to be even more careful with overeating or PBing.

Anyway, I feel fine. Just tired, working on getting the gas out and keeping myself hydrated.

Hope all is well with everybody else and their journeys.

Congratulations Darcey and Vickie glad your back and doing well.

Jen: Sounds like your off and running!! good for you! Stay out of Wal-mart.

Roberta