Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits

Hi everyone :)

Is it ok if I join the group? I am getting banded on the 28th and start my liquid diet on Monday. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

Audra, I love that you listed exactly what happened from the time you got to the hospital until you went home. It is great, because for me at least, it takes some of the fear of the unknown of what to expect at the hospital out of there.

I hope you are feeling better.

Hi everyone Hope all is well

I just wanted to let everyone know that I had my PRE-OP today

Went really well. Dr. Randall said I am ready for surgery on April 11th he was also excited that I had fropped 21 pounds in 2 weeks of the liquid diet. So klnow I have 6 day til i am banded I am excited

Way ta go Vickie, outstanding weight loss-21 lbs!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Our merry little group has grown to over 30 people. It's wonderful to have all this support. You will be in our thoughts and prayers on your band day.

Roberta

Wow! April is going by so quickly. Congratulations to everyone who has been banded. Great weight loss too!

I was wondering, has anyone gained weight drinking the protien shakes? I have been faithful with the liquids(started Sunday) but I gained 2.5 lbs. I quit drinking them and went back to my salads and fish. I have lost 12lbs doing that. Help! Will my liver still shrink if I eat salads? My Dr. won't do the surgery if my liver looks to big when he gets in there...and he has pulled out of 2 others. I am at a loss.

I have thought about Boo all day...praying that things went well.

Hope everyone had a nice day and our new banders are doing well!!! Today is the end of the second day of my Protein diet and I don't feel too bad yet, the next few days will be interesting, I am so scared the nurse will tell me to go home on the last weigh-in, that I am being so careful! Drove home past KFC though and boy did it smell good hehehe!!! I have been training the past two days at work and I think that this helped me keep busy and take my mind off food! I have been doing a lot of thinking on my drives to work the last couple of days and in retrospect I am glad now I have to do the Protein Shakes as I think it will mentally and physically prepare me better rather than just going cold turkey!!!

Good luck to those having surgery tomorrow!!!

Where is everyone else's photos, don't be shy. I am going to get my mum to take my 'official' pre-op photo at the weekend, bit embarrassed but I would like to have one!

Cheers!!!!

Fiona:bandit

Wow! April is going by so quickly. Congratulations to everyone who has been banded. Great weight loss too!

I was wondering, has anyone gained weight drinking the protien shakes? I have been faithful with the liquids(started Sunday) but I gained 2.5 lbs. I quit drinking them and went back to my salads and fish. I have lost 12lbs doing that. Help! Will my liver still shrink if I eat salads? My Dr. won't do the surgery if my liver looks to big when he gets in there...and he has pulled out of 2 others. I am at a loss.

I have thought about Boo all day...praying that things went well.

You seem to be doing better doing a Protein and salad. I'd stick with that since it's making you lose weight. Maybe the shakes have too much sugar and carbs for your system to loss the weight you need right now. Since your doctor is known to refuse doing surgery on patients that have not loss weight, I'd stick closely to what is working for you and throw in some exercise. You want this surgery, so just keep focused and do what you have to do. I know you'll be able to do it and you'll have your surgery

I wish you well

Roberta

I saw the dietitian yesterday and I posted what she wanted me to do just in case any one was interested. She isn't putting me on a liquid diet before but more of a low carb, low fat type of thing. She also suggested I have a sleep apnea test and a psychological exam (piff) I'm not going to mention it to the surgeon. The less test I have to pay for the better.

I'm getting pretty nervous now the reality of surgery has sunk in. I'm afraid, what if I don't lose the weight...what if there is a complication, what if I get sick.....what can I do about all these what ifs? I keep trying to tell myself that everything is going to be fine and that I'm going to be looking great by this time next year.

I have an endoscopy scheduled for Friday, and apparently here they don't put you to sleep, only numb your throat, so I'm freaking out about that as well. Then on Monday I have an XRay of my thorax and a sonogram of my liver to do. Then I have my pre-op on the 12th.

Wish me luck guys, and good luck to all of you who are going before me. I want to hear all the juicy details!

Hi, my date is April 22. I am from South Africa. I have been reading everything i can get my hands on and yes, i am scared...but also very exited!!!

Well, I am 2 days post-op. The surgery went well. I did not have any nausea or vomiting, however, I have absolutely no appetite, so it is hard for me to eat what I am supposed to. I also feel like whatever I am eating is getting stuck. sleeping is also not easy for me. I have a hard time sleeping at night, laying down in bed... I am a side sleeper... can't sleep on the left because it bothers me where my port is, can't sleep on the right cause I have an incision on the right side. Other than that, I feel good. I have my post-op check up in 2 weeks and my swallow study in 5 weeks and that is when I am supposed to have my first fill.

Starting Weight: 311

Weight prior to surgery: 289

2 days post-op: 287

Goal: 150

Yeah, welcome home!!!!! So glad everthing went off without a hitch. You are finally in Bandland:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Roberta

Thank you Roberta for the well wishes. Audra, I too feel like there is a ball sitting on top of my stomach, even while taking the liquid pepcid. Also, are you having trouble getting down all the Water you are supposed to be drinking??? I have no appetite whatsoever (boy never thought I would complain about that... lol), so I am not thinking about the eating and drinking... I am lucky to get a pint of water in me...

Yvonne

Yvonne and Audra I know you don't seem to be able to get the Water in but you MUST keep sipping all day. The last thing you want to have happen is to get dehydrated. It has happened to other bandsters and they ended up in the hospital to get IV fluids.

Roberta

Thanks Roberta for the info on the water... I have been trying to sip all day... have done a little better today... maybe will be able to get more in tomorrow... surely don't want to be back in the hospital hooked up to IV... my little shy veins can't take that!!!!

Congratulations on the surgery...............you guys are being so good with all the info, whenever I go to the doctors I know all this stuff that they are telling me already, just from being on here.

Hi to AlisonB also, I'm sure Ceparano will have put you on the list already!!! I am starting to think I am lucky not to have had to have all these pre-tests!! Wow, imagine the psychology test for me hehehe!!!!! And I am glad I didn't have to do that bariatic thingy...............who went into surgery today? Oops I will have to go and check again!

Bye all

Amourette:clap2: