Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yep.

But I've checked out the doctor I think I will be using - Dr. Sanchez - and he has lots of American credentials, such as having completed a fellowship in Texas and being a member of some American medical associations.

I don't think I can afford the surgery in the US and, more importantly, since my BMI is just under 35, I would have a lot of problems finding an American doctor who would do it.

Hey there,

I'm getting banded in Mexico by Dr. Kuri on July 8th. I'm glad you decided to use the money for the band. I spent about 5 months debating spending the money on myself. It seemed so selfish when there are so many other things that I could pay...but I finally got to the point where i realized that I am worth it! This is my chance for things to be different! Some times you just have to go for it. You didn't have that money a few days ago so it must be a sign. Good luck with your surgery!

Dr. Sanchez is who I am going with. Did you still need the link for him? It sounds like you have a lot of his information already.

Kmecey it does seem tough to wrap your head around going to another country for surgery, but after some researching I found I was more comforatble with the idea of going to Dr. Sanchez than going to someone here in the states. And I can afford to go to either one.

Kmecey,

One of the things I learned in my research is that because the FDA dragged its feet in approving the lap band long after research proved it was safe, the Mexican doctors started performing the surgery long before the American doctors, so the Mexican doctors actually have more experience than the Americans. And many of them have studied in the US or have done Residencies or Fellowships at American hospitals. They know that they are marketing their services to Americans so they do their best to get the credentials Americans are looking for. Yes, we are all trained to believe that American medicine is not only the best, but the only medicine we can trust. While its true that US medicine as a whole is the best in the world, that does not mean that quality medical care does not exist in other countries, or that Americans are the best in absolutely every type of surgery.

Having surgery is a big deal, so wherever you do it, you need to research the doctor and the hospital in advance.

Oh, a few other updates ...

When I contacted Dr. Sanchez' office, the patient coordinator told me that they will do the surgery on 'low' BMI patients as long as you have at least 50 pounds to lose. So, that's not a problem.

Also, the patient coordinator sent me a bunch of documents including info about one financing plan that I was VERY interested in. If you can put 60% down in cash, you can finance the other 40% without a credit check and without it appearing on your credit report. They would have an automatic debit from your checking account each month. I love, love, love this plan because it will make it possible for me to buy a house AND have the surgery. I used the $8500 to pay off most of my credit cards and keep a little extra emergency cash. This will raise my credit score high enough to buy a house, which I plan to do within the next 60 days. Then, after closing on the house, I can use one of those paid-off credit cards to make the 60% down payment for the surgery. It doesn't matter if my credit score goes back down some after I buy the house. So, I'm very excited. Now I can 'do right by my kids' by buying a house AND I can 'do right by my health' by getting the surgery. Very excited!

Oh, a few other updates ...

When I contacted Dr. Sanchez' office, the patient coordinator told me that they will do the surgery on 'low' BMI patients "

I have a lower BMI and had surgery with Dr. Sanchez on June 2. It was a very positive experience and I feel fine. Dr. Sanchez has an excellent staff and they take good care of you.

My theory is that if I haven't lost it by now instead of yo yoing for years than I never would without the help of the band. My only regret is not being able to do it years ago.

Mary

It's like I always say, what good is the money if you don't have your health! I'm self pay and I'll be paying it back for a few years to come, but I expect my health to be better, and that will make me able to work and pay it back, and feel good while I'm doing it- ideally that is.

Freeradical

LB Installation date set 7/7 at 7 a.m. - Oh those lucky sevens:clap2: