Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

My name is liza garcia and I am considerating going to dr. RUMBAUT fo the lap band surgery, but I 'M SCARED to go to Mexico for surgery I was reading your profile and am very impressed on how you are doing. What made you go to DR. RUMBAUT for your surgery? Where are you from? I'm writing from San Antonio Texas. What else can you tell me about your surgery please let me know anything that could help my make up my mind thank you

Hi Jewels,

I wasn't sure if you were asking me, but you have nothing, absolutely nothing to be scared of. I was a little nervous as well but when there was a very smiley, taxi cab driver with my name on a big piece of paper, stood there and greeted me in Monterrey, I felt an overwhelming feeling of relief. Everything was happening exactly as the patient coordinator stated.

I chose Dr. Rumbaut, after googling "gastric bypass". I discovered that there was a Doctor in Mexico, who gave the best service, per the testimonials and at a reasonable cost. I did further research and actually did a who's who on him. I called their office after hours and recieved an immediate response the next day. I loved their coordinator. She was very informative as well as spoke from her own experiences. Everything just felt right. That's why I picked him. It was the response, the reputation, the "very clear pre-op, post-op instructions and Q&A's" it was everything. Everything was covered and all of my questions answered.

I can't make you make up your mind. Only you truly know what you need to do for yourself. For me, I didn't feel I had a choice. I needed something and this was it for me. The surgery went very well, some pain after the surgery but that is expected. I experienced gas pockets but Malox fixed that in 1 day.

Put it this way, I went to Monterrey alone. No one came with me. I left, alone with my 2 bags and 1 extra one from doing some shopping. I felt great enough to do it all on my own. So can you. ;)

I am having the lap-band procedure done on May 17 with Dr. Arturo Rodriguez. Have you decided yet?

Cathy

Did you decide on Dr. Rodriguez? I am considering going to him the end of May. Anyone else been to Dr. Rodriguez?

Telly,

How are your healing. Are the openings almost closed?

Hey Seminole. I am completely closed up. My port site is perfect, just a little red because I've been scratching it. Other than that, the only one giving me problems is the one under my breasts. It keeps rubbing up against my sports bra and I keep forgetting to put on a bandaid before I head out to exercise. I sweat alot so the sweat drips right through that area ;) . What to do?

It keeps trying to heal but I'm not letting it.

;)OH wow, you must be so excited . Listen the one thing that really concerns me with your testimonial is that I was told not to do that harsh of excersize so soon into your recovery and you know what I'm glad I LISITENED because Ive scared and feel really ready for a hard core workout after recovery of a month. I was banded on Feb.23 2006 it Tijuana Mex. and have lost only 14 lbs. BUT FEEL GREAT!!! I'now working out hard on hikes ,gym machines and classes... So all should take place soon...:biggrin1: take care and keep letting us know on your loss.:)

HI ya'll- I'm brand new to this forum though I've been researching lap band for quite some time. I think I've decided to go with Dr. Rodriguez in Monterrey- I just think I "clicked" with the staff a little better. I'm tentatively scheduled for May 31. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kato

Question to all of you that chose to go to Mexico....why did you choose mexico? Was it the Dr. and his experience or the price? I am a self pay even though I have excellent insurance and it is going to cost me about 8500$ total. Some of my preop stuff was paid for...about 1700$ worth. How much does this Dr. R in Monterey charge? I AM NOT knocking mexico, but god help me it is not fun to fly when I feel good, let alone a couple days post-op. Plus I have heard people who have talked of all the travel and walking across the boarder post op etc.... It just seem like such a lot of extra steps and a long distance to go if you can have the same proceedure here in the US for about the same price. Just wondering if I am missing something.

I would like to add that it is VERY important to have confidence and feeling of security about the decision you have made. If one finds that in Mexico then so be it. Mental state plays a huge role in recovery and sucess so do what you have to do where you have to do it!

I was self pay and could afford to have the surgery done in the U.S. but after doing research I found that the doctor with the most experience and best results with the fewest complications was Dr. Roberto Rumbaut in Mexico for about half the cost. I spoke with his U.S. liason and got more information, spoke with his associate, then spoke with him. I was comfortable with everything I heard from them and from patients of Dr. Rumbaut, so I made my choice. It cost $10,600 which includes everything but the airfare to Monterrey. I also paid for my own food which, since I was on pre-op then post-op diet didn't add up to much! lol

I know everyone is different but I flew home from Mexico on the Friday afternoon after having surgery on a Tuesday morning. No pain, no pain meds needed, no problem. I went shopping and sightseeing on that Thursday and again on Friday before catching the flight home. I had very little bruising and very little gas pain.

Since you don't have to worry about the expense, you should have surgery with whichever doctor you have the most confidence in after having done a lot of research and asked a lot of questions. Be sure to speak to some of your chosen doctor's patients, preferably here on LBT so you'll get an unbiased discussion/opinion.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Donna,

Your email was a great confidence booster to me. I am scheduled with Rumbaut for June 27. Thank you for your encouragement. Let's stay in touch..I may need more encouragement as the day approaches. Congrats on losing 27 lbs. I would also love to hear more about working with Rumbaut.

I almost went to Mexico too, because I was self-pay....but the biggest draw back for me was--fills, and complications. Thank the Lord I have not had one complication, but have had three fills. Make sure you get those things lined up before you go.

Good luck!

My BMI is just under 35 and I have no co-morbidities. My BMI has been consistently between 30 and 35 for over ten years despite many temporarily successful dieting and exercize plans. I have minor weight-related problems such as back pain, lack of energy, and skin infections where the folds of flesh overlap. Type II diabetes runs in my family, though I don't currently have that condition.

In the US you have to have a BMI of over 35 in order to get banded, but I've been reading medical articles about recent studies on lap band surgery for patients like me and they are promising, with complications similar to other types of elective surgeries (even getting your wisdom teeth out carries risks of complications). I don't think the risks of complications are any higher than they were for my two C-sections. Still, I'm sure it will take years before the surgery is approved by US government authorities for people with a BMI between 30 and 35 who have no major co-morbidities. I've heard that in Mexico some doctors are willing to perform the surgery on patients in my category, but while I would seek out such a doctor because he's free from the restraints of US government regulations, I'm also concerned about the quality of care that I would normally be assured of by those very same restraints.

Comments? Is there a really good doctor in Mexico that I can check up on somehow, who is willing to perform a lap band on a patient with a BMI of about 34?

I am very impressed with what I have learned about Dr. Rumbaut. I am scheduled to have lap band in June with him. His staff have been so great to work with and I like the fact that he has a lap band himself. As for finding a good doc in the U.S. to take care of follow up and fills you should check with other Mexico patients who are in your area. I am going to have to drive 2 hours from my home for good follow up care!

Is there a really good doctor in Mexico that I can check up on somehow, who is willing to perform a lap band on a patient with a BMI of about 34?

I had surgery with Dr. Rumbaut - he's great, as are all the people in his office and the San Jose Hospital in Monterrey where he performs his surgeries. Dr. Rumbaut will help you locate a doctor for aftercare, just make sure to talk to him and/or his U.S. liason, Cathy, beforehand. You can check him out and get Cathy's number at his website: www.bariatricsurgery.com

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks for responding guys, but Dr. Rumbaut normally only take patients with a BMI over 40. A patient with a BMI of 35-40 must have co-morbidities. I'm looking for someone who would take a patient with a BMI of 30-35 with no co-morbitities, i.e. a doctor who has read the recent studies on patients like me and thinks the benefits outweight the risks.

Thanks for responding guys, but Dr. Rumbaut normally only take patients with a BMI over 40. A patient with a BMI of 35-40 must have co-morbidities. I'm looking for someone who would take a patient with a BMI of 30-35 with no co-morbitities, i.e. a doctor who has read the recent studies on patients like me and thinks the benefits outweight the risks.

Have you you spoken with Dr. Rumbaut himself? While I was in Mexico being banded he did a patient who had a lower BMI. She said she spoke with Dr. Rumbaut about her weight, lifestyle and dieting history and he agreed to do the surgery. She may have had other issues which she didn't mention but she seemed pretty healthy to me. If you've only spoken with Dr. Rumbaut's staff, see if you can speak with him directly. It might make all the difference.