Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Vs Realize Band

I've been scouring the Internet and on here trying to find info on both comparatively, and I've found some stuff comparing the two but I was wanting to get some Real life info from people that have had one or the other and if their are any true pros or cons over one or the other.

I kind of like the shape of the lap band that it's completely circular, more like that of our own stomach opening but I've heard people say the Realise Band is more forgiving with its triangular shape in case of something not going down all the way.

Anyway, all info is appreciated!

Johnathan

Both bands are round, the difference is the pillows inside the band. The Lap band is several small pillows and the Realize is one pillow. The Lab has two different size and the Realize has one.

I have also heard the Realize band is more forgiving. I have the Realize band and I have had no problems.

If you look back in the forums a few days you will find a post where I asked who had the Realize band. Everyone who responded is very happy with the Realize band.

Good Luck

The Realize band generally needs more fill in order to achieve restriction.

The Realize port has teeth instead of being sutured in place.

I don't know if those are advantages or disadvantages, I am sure they are much of a muchness.

I think theres more things to worry about than the actual make of the band, there seems very little difference between the 2 bands if u read this forum a lot. concentrte on what u need to do to make the band work for you .. :)

I think theres more things to worry about than the actual make of the band' date=' there seems very little difference between the 2 bands if u read this forum a lot. concentrte on what u need to do to make the band work for you .. :)[/quote']

Well, I'm trying to learn everything I can about the band, AND how to use it.

It's much more than the make of the band! That's why I asked for people's opinions. Why I'm explaining myself I have no clue because if you had nothing to say about my question that actually helps me I don't know why you responded other than to be condescending.

Johnathan

I too did a fair amount of research as to which I wanted. After finding so many similarities, I asked my surgeon which one he preferred to place. He said that honestly, it was whatever mood he was in that day and the OR had on hand. He asked if I had a preference, which I did not. He said that he slightly favors the Realize band over LapBand because of the port. The bands themselves are like comparing apples to apples. From what he found, the port had been less likely to flip on the Realize bands. But, he also said, that it was just his findings nothing scientific.

He placed the Realize band, 10 cc, and he said he always places his ports on the right side (It's about an inch down from my rib cage). I had my first fill on Tuesday (3 cc) and it was a breeze. First attempt he got it (he also said that the ports can be more difficult to locate and fill in a person with more abdominal fat).

Four weeks post-op, the only issue I had was trying to press my luck with that "one last bite" even though I had gotten my full signal and knew darn well I shouldn't have tried. But, you live and learn. I had severe indigestion for about 10 minutes.

I have the realize band but I am only 8 days post op so I can't really say much besides the fact that I chose the realize band because it is more forgiving and it has one fill pillow vs a few pillows. :)

I have the Realize band. The port is supposedly more low profile which is good for me. One month post op and one fill with 0 problems. I hope you do great!

I'm only 5 weeks post-op and have the Realize band. It's a 12cc band and I had my first fill two 2 weeks ago of 3 cc. I have very little restriction at this point (to be expect even though it's frustrating), but am making better and smaller food choices. Now if the scale would only reflect this!

Most surgeons have a reason they prefer one over the other... and it's usually based on the experience of their patients rather than any evidence-based medicine.

Best of luck on your journey!

I got my Lap band a week ago today. I don't know much, but I haven't had any problems with it yet. I think my doctor only does the lap band.

Jonathan,

Ignore Bandbun, do all your research and make an informed decision.

This is a decision you will have to live with hopefully for the rest of your life.

Good luck on your journey.

Jonathan' date='

Ignore Bandbun, do all your research and make an informed decision.

This is a decision you will have to live with hopefully for the rest of your life.

Good luck on your journey.[/quote']

Thank you Grandma! I plan to do just that!

I want to make the best informed decision that I can. My surgeon offers both and their are differences otherwise their wouldn't be two different ones and they wouldn't use both of them at their office!

Thanks for the support!

Johnathan

My surgeon said he likes to have both next to him in the OR and make a decision based on what he sees. I told him to go ahead and choose for me since I don't know anything about my insides.

I have the LapBand.

I am 7 weeks post op and I have the Lapband. I have RA and have to take many medications for it. I spoke with my doctor about both bands and he suggested the Lapband because in his opinion it was a little more durable to withstand the erosion the meds could cause. Yes the Realise band is more forgiving, but I personally wanted my band to last my lifetime and I have to be on my meds for the rest of my life and am willing to put up with a few pinches here and there, if that is what happens. I have had no issues as of yet with one 3 cc fill.

Good luck to you whatever you may choose!

I have the Realize band. 11 weeks post op and no problems. The best of luck to you.