Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Yesterday - In Pain Today - Terrible Day Yesterday

My surgery was originally supposed to be at 1:30 yesterday, but they moved it up two hours because of a cancellation (woohoo). I got to the DR's office about 9:45, went to admittance and they expected me to have some money for them. I was self pay, and I paid the complete amount to my actual doctor, so I had no money to give the hospital that was doing the surgery. Well this seemed to surprise admittance and they made me wait while they made some calls to my doctor. An hour later they had it figured out and I started on my pre-op bloodwork to see if I was pregnant.

They then wheeled me to the holding room where I laid for another hour. At noon my surgeon came to check on me and told me they lost my bloodwork so I had to go pee in a cup in the holding room bathroom, in my lovely gown. Thank goodness for the IV hydrating me because I didn't think I had any pee in me at that point. When I came out of the bathroom the nurses had left, so I had to stand there with my pee and IV bag in one hand, and the other hand holding closed my gown, for a good five minutes until the nurses remembered me.

At 12:15 they had my test back and they were ready to push me back to surgery. The asked a 100 lb nurse to push my bed back, and she was struggling hard to manuever it. She passed FIVE male doctors who just looked at her and refused to help. I almost got up to her help because I Was tired of being banged into the hall way walls. I got into the operating room and the anesthiesist came in and told me he wanted to wait until the last possible minute to give me the drug so he didn't have to waste any. Last thing I remember was that they couldn't find my surgeon because he was so pissed (DR. Woodman in Memphis, known for his attitude) the surgery was being held up, he left the hospital!

I woke up as they wheeled me into my room around 4 pm. They told my mom and husband to be there at 2, but it took them TWO HOURS to get me from recovery back to my room because they said the anesthiesia took so long to wear off because the dr gave it to me too late, and too much. From 4 - 6 I am sipping Water, doing walks around the hospital and trying to stay awake. At 6 the nurse calls my doctor and he said I was free to go. The nurse told my mom to get the car and pull it around to the front, and she would get my wheelchair and meet her there in 10 minutes. at 6:30 I walked my area of the hospital to try to find a nurse, and the one I did find said my nurse went home for the day and I should stay in my room. I told her I Was going to walk to the car myself and she told me I couldn't do that. At 6:45 a male nurse came in with the wheel chair and wheeled me to the car... if I wasn't so drugged I would have been furious.

I came home, and went straight to sleep after taking my pain medicine. I woke up at 9 in SEVERE pain, all around the one insission that has the guaze on it. It was impossible for me to get out of the bed, i was hurting so much. I tookd more pain medicine, drank some water, then fell asleep sitting up. At 4:30 am I woke myself up crying because my stomach felt like it was on fire. The right side of my torso is fine, and I could put pressure on it and touch it, no problems. But the right side feels like there is something growing in it. If I touch it, nudge it, graze it, it feels like fire. I called my nurse and she said this is normal and the bad day is day three! I feel fine when I am walking around, but its extremely painful to sit down, get up, or lay down. I really hope this pain goes away soon, or they give me better pain meds!

aww I hope you feel better. I'm sorry you had that experience. I had my surgery 8 days ago. I stayed in the hospital 1 night and my 1st night home was uncomfortable, but each day got better from there. Today I feel pretty much "normal" other than some soreness at my port area. Good luck to you!

Oh my goodness girl maybe you should talk to your regular MD. Hope you are feeling better now, if not insist on seeing the doctor do not just take the nurse word.. I am not sure if I would stay with that doctor.

My experience on the hospital was not as bad bit had none the less and I'm a nurse and work for the hospital I had the surgery at - my surgeon was and is awesome but the post op care was less the amazing! I woke up and felt like crap and she said ok let's get up - lets get drinking - my eyes were barely open! I ended up telling my father I could help myself more at home and asked him to take me home! The first three days were hell - I wondered what I did to myself and the third day is the worst - it gets better! By the fifth day I felt like myself, hang in there - it gets better and then the journey begins! Goof luck!

So sorry for your bad experience!! How awful and shame on that hospital and those people!

I am concerned that you are in such pain. It was not like that for me at all. Some gas problems for the first couple of days and then just feeling the physical affects of anesthesia and surgery. I was banded the 16th of May and I am doing fine. You should call someone immediately about such severe pain.. .and not a nurse!

I called and spoke with another nurse this afternoon, the dr was out supposidly, and they said this pain was very normal, to walk as much as I can and that my third day would be the worse. I dont know if that means two days after the band or three days after the band, but if its worse than this I am going to need some hard core drugs to get through it.

Wow sorry for the experience you had! Did you have a hiatal hernia repaired? I did and the first 4 days were brutal!! Hopefully you'll get some relief soon!

Caramel,

I was banded on Tuesday June 5th and also had hiatal hernia repair...........ouch. I have to go back to doc to day due to having difficulty getting 2 ounces of Fluid down with out feeling so full in my chest.He said I have no restriction yet and seems to think that most pain is from hernia repair.So how are you doing now? Did you have similar experience?

Caramel' date='

I was banded on Tuesday June 5th and also had hiatal hernia repair...........ouch. I have to go back to doc to day due to having difficulty getting 2 ounces of Fluid down with out feeling so full in my chest.He said I have no restriction yet and seems to think that most pain is from hernia repair.So how are you doing now? Did you have similar experience?[/quote']

Wheww..yes!! The first 3-4 days were absolutely horrible! I couldn't really drink anything...taking a sip of Water hurt! I think had it not been for tha hernia my recovery would have been a breeze! Now I feel like I'm back to normal...every so often in the mornings I have this awful pain in my chest-it last for mayb 5 mins other than that I'm doing very well!!