Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from North Texas

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole thing, right now I'm in the information gathering stage. I will be attending a "seminar" tomorrow night with my wife to get some more information.

I've been seriously thinking of getting the lap band for about 3 months now. I'm 26 years old (is that too young?) 6'0" tall weigh about 280lbs and have a BMI of 38. The main reason for getting this done is due to health concerns, it will be nice to look much better as well... but in reality it breaks down about 85% health 15% looks. I've been battling weight issues evern since I was a little kid, I was always the chubby kid at school, in Middle School i somehow picked up the unfortunate nickname of "Shamu" because I was a little heavy. When I graduated High School I was weighing about 210 lbs, not huge but about 25 lbs heavier than my "ideal weight". After numerous diets and excercise programs I managed to weigh about 195, which has been the thinnest I have ever weighed, even that was still about 10 lbs heavier than my "ideal weight". This was arround age 19. Since then I have gotten married and have ballooned up to my current weight. I have tried all the fad diets from Atkins, to South Beach, to Slim Fast. I have joined several gyms including one at work. The problem is that I enjoy eating too much, and I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle. At work I sit in front of a computer all day, at home I sit in front of the TV or read a book outside in the hammock. My extracaricular activities are cars and church, neither which is physically taxing... in short I eat too much and don't excercise enough. My blood pressure is borderline high, my resting pulse rate is also high, my cholesterol is also borderline... and on top of all that my family has a very bad history of heart disease (grandfather died of a heart attack in his early 50's and an uncle and aunt have both had strokes while still in their 50's). I have a beautiful young wife and a wonderful 2 yr. old son that I love very much and I have decided that I can no longer risk destroying my body by not addressing my looming health issues.

Well sorry for the long story but I wanted everyone to have some insight into my situation before I asked my questions. First off, do you think I am too young to have the lap band procedure done? (the 4 people i personally know that have had the procedure done have been in their late 30's early 40's) I'm also not quite 100 lbs over weight, and I've heard that most Dr's are hesitant to do the procedure unless you are over 100 lbs over weight. Lastly, taking into consideration my long family history of heart disease, should this make it more imperative that I have the procedure done now? I don't want to wait until I'm alot older and further gone, I fear that I may be taking years away from my life every day that I live and not correcting this issue.

Thanks for listening to my rants and ravings, hope to hear your input.

-K

I don't think you're to young. Go for it. It is the best thing I ever did. Or, let me put it to you this way, it is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

Good luck!

Hi! I am in North Texas, also...I believe you can have a BMI of 35 with comorbidities, which means weight-related health problems. I guess you need to start with your regular doctor, who, hopefully, has documented your efforts at weight loss. You will need that documentation for insurance approval. So, first step, see your doctor. Ask all your questions. Check into your insurance and see if weight loss surgery is excluded. I was lucky, my insurance covered it, and by the time someone told me to think about it, I already had 6 months documented doctor-supervised diet.

I don't think age has anything to do with it...I sure wish I had done it when I was younger!!!!!

Good luck and welcome to LBT!

Cindy

Hi! I am in North Texas, also...I believe you can have a BMI of 35 with comorbidities, which means weight-related health problems. I guess you need to start with your regular doctor, who, hopefully, has documented your efforts at weight loss. You will need that documentation for insurance approval. So, first step, see your doctor. Ask all your questions. Check into your insurance and see if weight loss surgery is excluded. I was lucky, my insurance covered it, and by the time someone told me to think about it, I already had 6 months documented doctor-supervised diet.

I don't think age has anything to do with it...I sure wish I had done it when I was younger!!!!!

Good luck and welcome to LBT!

Cindy

My insurance does cover it as I have two co-workers that have had it done, one just 4-5 months ago, another 2 years ago. Thanks for the advice.

You are on your way! How exciting! That is a BIG hurdle right there, that you don't have do.

Where in North Texas are you? You can ask for surgeon names from us NT people if you don't already have one in mind...

Cindy

You are on your way! How exciting! That is a BIG hurdle right there, that you don't have do.

Where in North Texas are you? You can ask for surgeon names from us NT people if you don't already have one in mind...

Cindy

I live and work in Fort Worth. The two Dr's that I have heard about are Dr.Carter and Dr.Snow. I've heard nothing but great things about both of them. Also the two people at work who have had it done, it was covered 100% by the insurance so I'm really happy about that.

Welcome to LBT Kenny! I don't think you're too young, wish it had been available when I was under 30!

If you're out Southlake way, we used Dr Sewell (he operates both in Southlake & HEB Methodist). I've got nothing but great things to say about him. (Of course we're still new, but he's been great!)

Good luck & keep us updated! :)

Welcome from another North Texan... I was 28 when I was banded 29 now. I think we're lucky that we get to do it while we're in our twenties and don't have to go through our thirties and fourties heavy. I've talked to so many people that have said they wished they could have done it when they were our age.

Good luck on your journey!

:welcomeB: Hi Kenny! Dr. Carter is great! He did my surgery as well as 8 other people in our local office. Very supportive and helpful.

I say go for it and it will be much easier for you to lose weight now than when you are older. Plus the effects from losing the weight now will allow you to enjoy your success even longer! I just wish I had done it when I hear about it 2-3 years ago.

I'm in Keller and there are quite a few of us in the area so if you're ever around here, let us know!! Laura

Hi Kenny,

The insurance process of getting approved can be very taxing.. Some insurances will pay for lap band surgery on patients with a BMI of 35 or greater with comorbidities but your BMI has to have been greater than 35 for at least 5 years. Which insurance plan are you on? My surgeon is Dr. David Kim at North Hills Hospital in North Richland Hills Texas.. He is WONDERFUL and a very good surgeon.. Dr. Carter Saved my sisters life when she had Breast Cancer at 31 so i thnk the world of him too. Dr. Sewell is also someone I have worked with in the past and I really respect him as a surgeon as well.. There are some good choices in this part of the US. We are lucky!!

Kathy

Hi Kenny! Welcome to LBT!

I used Dr. Fox at the Surgery Center of Richardson. Both the doc and the facility were fantastic.

No - you are not too young. If there had been Lap Band when I was 26 - I would have jumped all over it.

Good Luck!!

WELCOME...and the "100 lbs" overweight thing applies for insurance. The way my doc explained it is that the insurance has all these requirements, if you want insurance to cover, then you have to meet their guidelines. The FDA has their guidelines, but that does not make it illegal or immoral to deviate from those guidelines. My BMI was also 38, and my doc told me that i would have to sign a piece of paper telling me that this surgery was INTENDED for folks with a BMI of >40 or BMI>35 with comorbidities, and here are the risks. He explained that with my history, it would likely be about a year or two before my BMI reached 40, and he is not going to make me wait until i am that heavy before doing surgery. I signed the little sheet of paper, handed over a chunk of change, and he banded me.((definitley not that simple, but you get the point))

You are definitely a candidate for evaluation for surgery if you have at least 40 lbs to lose. I am a very healthy obese woman, and my doc did the surgery. He told me that he only believes i need to lose 50 lbs, although, I would like to lose about 65.

Welcome again, this is a great community. And good luck to you!