Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shocking Information (HRT - production)

Drug companies own many farms, mostly in Canada, where they impregnate mares, tether them in a stalls, collect their urine, and use the urine to manufacture Premarin and Prempro HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) for women. The foals that are born - are considered a byproduct of the drug manufacturing process. These foals are killed and the mares are then re-impregnated, to live their lives in these stalls.

Amazingly, Holly, the young girl in this article is an advocate working to save these foals, and just received one of her own!

The 10 year NIH study (National Institute of Health - Women's Health Initiative) proved - HRT is NOT healthy for women. These, and other manufactured hormones are not identical human replacements - they are foreign substances that increase a woman's chances of cervical and breast cancer.

A friend of mine recently worked at a compounding pharmacy in Nashville - one who compounds BHRT (Bio Identical Hormone Replacement) from plants. She told me that it works wonderfully - naturally.

There are over 500 medical journal articles about BHRT and it's positive results in treating women's hormone imbalances, and health related issues due to hormone imbalances.

Click here: Chapel Hill News | Pets

I used to be a drug rep (150 pounds ago...and yes, size does matter to drug companies) Anyway, I sold ortho est...My mane (pun intended) competition was premarin. Anyway, our product was derived from mexican yams. If you can find them, eat them...instead of drinking horse pee cleverly disguised in pill format. I have an extensive family history of cancer, and when I get closer to menopause..I'll turn to organic foods to supplement my estrogen.

Premarin is a byproduct of pregnant mare urine. A lot of people don't realize that is what they are taking. Of course you don't taste it, but isn't the very thought horrifying to think you are taking this? It is a horrible abuse of animals. I love horses in particular and used to own a race horse that raced in California. Believe me he got treated like a king and did NOT spend all his time in a stall. During off season from racing he had the run of the land and is now at stud at a wonderful farm in Kentucky called Three Chimneys making good money for me and having fun doing it.

another wonderful byproduct of these types of hormone replacement is also blood clots.. ask me, I know..

another wonderful byproduct of these types of hormone replacement is also blood clots.. ask me, I know..

Doctors used to be big on estrogen supplements for women, but a few years ago they found out there were a lot of complications with heart disease and blood clots. Most doctors don't prescribe them anymore, but they were rampant for many years. So sorry you suffered a bloot clot with them. If you haven't had a hysterectomy you had to take Premarin and Provera....but I was taken off it 5 years ago, but not in time to prevent a heart attack, although I'm not positive if it was the Premarin or a combination of that and cigarettes. Regardless I'm on neither of them anymore. I learned a tough lesson.

Hi! My mom took the hormone therapy when she started menopause and ended up with breast cancer 10 years ago. She was very lucky and had a lumpectomy and only needed radiation. The doctor then put her on Tomaxafin (spelling?) and after taking that for 5 years she ended up with uterine cancer. She had a complete hysterectomy and thank goodness everything was caught. She's fully recovered now and no more cancer scares.

Anyway, it's important to note we do not have ANY history of cancer on either side of her parents. None of her family members have had breast cancer or uterine cancer, or cancer of any sort. Her doctor attributes her cancer to the hormone replacement therapy. He said some people are more receptive to the hormones given and it increases your risk of developing cancer.

So, as I sit here entering menopause myself (can you believe it at 41?), I WILL NOT DO REPLACEMENT THERAPY! I've been trying something called Estroven from GNC to decrease the hot flashes and it's been working great. Anyway, off my soap box and thank you Penni for bringing this up. I got a little off topic but I think it's important everyone hears this and I don't mean to scare anyone who is taking them. Talk to your doctor if you are and get all the information you can.

I too love horses and all animals (gosh I should - we have 2 dogs and 4 cats) and I am totally against ANY animal testing or mistreatment of any sort. I can't tell you how much that disgusts me.

Slightly off topic, but not really.. is everyone aware of what KFC does to the chickens they raise for those delicious buckets of golden goodness? It's horrifying and I doubt I'll ever eat there again. No telling what the fast food industries are doing to cows in order to pump out the millions of burgers we as a nation eat every day. *sighs* Sad, very sad. And I'm not a vegetarian or an animal rights activist.

Those poor horses. If you want to get really shocked. They are hiring women in China to get pregnant so they can take the unborn child and use it for stem-cell research. Now there's something to cry about.

Slightly off topic, but not really.. is everyone aware of what KFC does to the chickens they raise for those delicious buckets of golden goodness? It's horrifying and I doubt I'll ever eat there again. No telling what the fast food industries are doing to cows in order to pump out the millions of burgers we as a nation eat every day. *sighs* Sad, very sad. And I'm not a vegetarian or an animal rights activist.

Those poor horses. If you want to get really shocked. They are hiring women in China to get pregnant so they can take the unborn child and use it for stem-cell research. Now there's something to cry about.

Continuing the slightly off-topic:

I have refused to eat at Burger King for about 5 years now. They de-beak their chickens too. And they also tie their mommy pigs in pens so small that they can not lie down or turn around even while giving birth. I don't want to think about the cows...it's too sad.

And if I think about the babies in China I will lose my mind...

The babies in China thing is an Urban Legend. It is untrue. In china, they actually punish families for additional pregnancy (financially) as a form of population control.

I knew about the horses, so sad. But we are not powerless to stop it. Tell other women about it . As long as there is a market , they will continue to do this.

Consumers need to know what is really going on, just go to http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp or

http://www.petatv.com/inv.html

http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/anderson-vid.asp?c=kfc956eb2

http://www.animalactivist.com/vegetarian.asp and look at all the videos and read the articles.

Personally after reading and viewing the info above I became a vegetarian. About a year ago, and just coming off the Atkins diet! My feelings were that after knowing what goes on now, and if I still eat meat/purchase KFC, etc then I am part of the abuse. Knowing what I know and then giving my money to it makes me a part of it, and I just couldn't do that. My heart and concious drew a line I could not cross.

If someone decides they want to eat meat, it's still important to keep it humane, disease and filth free, and there is so much you can do to help make that happen.

It's good for you, good for the animals and how can you argue with that? :-)

The babies in China thing is NOT an urban legend. I know several women from China, one was a pediatric physician, and it IS true.. sad, but very true. Keep in mind, these pregnancies are not increasing the population. The mothers are being paid to donate their unborn children for scientific research.

The following is from www.usembassy-china.org.cn :

Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research in China

A September 2002 Report from U.S. Embassy Beijing

Human embryonic stem cell research in China is at a nascent stage but developing rapidly. Many of the top labs plan to submit their findings to international scientific journals within the next two years. Until then, all unsubstantiated news reports should be ignored as some researchers make false claims simply to draw media attention.

The main obstacle for some of the best research labs has been obtaining adequate supplies of high quality embryos. This has created a market for human embryos that remains unregulated. Although a number of ethics groups have raised public awareness on the moral issues of human embryonic stem cell research, effective laws cannot be expected any time soon. Even if new laws are passed, there are no plans to oversee and enforce them. The potential for public opprobrium may remain a key deterrent to unethical human embryonic stem cell research.

The following is from the National Insitute of Health:

(http://stemcells.nih.gov/StemCells/Templates/StemCellContentPage.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2finfo%2ffaqs%2easp&NRNODEGUID=%7bA604DCCE-2E5F-4395-8954-FCE1C05BECED%7d&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#umbilical)

Where do stem cells come from?

Pluripotent stem cells are isolated from human embryos that are a few days old. Cells from these embryos can be used to create pluripotent stem cell "lines" —cell cultures that can be grown indefinitely in the laboratory. Pluripotent stem cell lines have also been developed from fetal tissue obtained from fetal tissue (older than 8 weeks of development).

Nine weeks old.

By this age (8 weeks) the neuroanatomic structures are present. What is needed is (1) asensory nerve to feel the pain and send a message to (2) the thalamus, a part of the base of the brain, and (3) motor nerves that send a message to that area.

Try sticking an infant with a pin and you know what happens. She opens her mouth to cry and also pulls away.

Try sticking an 8 week old human fetus in the palm of his hand. He opens his mouth and pulls his hand away.

Volman & Pearson, "What the Fetus Feels,"

British Med.Journal, Jan. 26,1980, pp. 233-234.

post-205630-13813132975169_thumb.gif

Abortion is not an efficient way to obtain stem cells, and as a matter of fact the article you cited does not verify your statement.

Despite common misperception, aborted fetuses are not the source of stem cells that many believe them to be. The more efficient method of obtaining stem cells is to fertilize an egg outside the womb (in a laboratory setting) and obtain the stems cells thusly. As the above literature notes, nmost stem cells are derived from tissue only a few days old. Doubtful that most women would even know they are pregnant after only a few days, let alone being able to successfully abort the fetus while saving the stemm cell tissues.

I am not making a moral judgment on the validity of stem cell research, I am simply stating that is is a misconception that it comes from aborted fetuses.

I see nothing in your post that challenges that assumption.

BTW... Although I abhore the use and mistreatment of animals for furs or perfumes or cosmetics testing, I do not object to the use for saving human life. Have any diabetic friends? Most insulin is derived from pig or ox pancreases, folks. PETA objects to ALL animal testing and products, yet the VP of PETA is a diabetic, who takes artificial insulin.

And, I can bet you a dollar that the lap band was installed on an animal before it was ever tested on a person.

Nuff said.

The initial purpose of this thread is to enlighten people to what they are putting into their bodies and how it is developed in relation to what it can do to their bodies. I do not want this thread to become a venue for political, spiritual, ethical, etc beliefs to be bantered back and forth.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You can chose to agree or disagree with each other but I respectfully ask that everyone NOT turn this thread into a shouting match. If it does begin to head down that road I will close it and delete this thread altogether.

This is an INFORMATIVE thread.