Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does It Feel Like To Eat Solids?

I do not have my band yet but will have it on the 7th of June. I was wondering what it felt like to eat solids the first time after being banded and also what it felt like after a fill? I'm really curious about tha physical sensations. And when people say full is that the type of full that makes you not want to eat another bite? Or is it more of "I no longer feel hunger pain" type of full?

Eating is fine so long as you are aware of what and how you are eating and you follow the rules.

Full is nothing like full without a band. It is not felt in your stomach, you do not feel like you might explode. Instead it is felt in the chest. There is a very fine line between having eaten enough and eaten too much. Too much hurts like hell and can cause you discomfort for hours afterwards. You have to learn to recognise your bodies subtle signals that you have had enough.

As Elcee said, full with the band is qutie different than without it, and if you keep eating because you're looking for your old "full" feeling, you'll get into trouble. You'll need to focus on satiety instead of fullness. Satiety is the feeling of having eaten enough food for now. Mentally you may be thinking that you need or want more than a small portion, but if you pay attention to how your body feels, eventually you'll notice new satiety signals - a hiccup, sigh, burp (or need to burp), sneeze, runny nose, fullness in the back of the throat, the urge to cough or clear your throat.

I had an issue last night with dinner. I had 6oz boneless chicken and I don't know if I ate too fast or ate too much but wow I got major hiccups followed by some discomfort like the food was stuck and wouldn't go down. After walking for a bit the sensation went away....

I really need to concentrate on eating slow and pay attention to the signals. Perhaps a refresher from Bandwagon is in order :)

In a way I am relieved to hear it feels different after the band. I will not lie but I am scared because I have not heard from anyone who seems to have started the way I am starting. It seems that a lot of people are starting out at a lower weight (although that is not always the case). I am at 351lbs. But what really scares me is that I am not this way because I was ever hungry. I have the self control of a drug addict when it comes to food cravings. Now during my liquid diet I am sad because I miss food and I am afraid that I will never be happy again just eating a small amount of it at a time. But i am also unhappy with my life. I can't have kids at this weight...clothes are hard to but and expensive and I feel no pride in myself. I am doing well on the liquid diet but I am so sad. I'm not usually this negative and I have been posting about this for a week but I just want to know if anyone started like me?

I'll be truthful with you, if you are 100 percent wanting to change your life and not let anything get in your way you will achieve it. Also do exactly what the dr tells you and not try to cheat because that will only cause you to fail later with the band but if you do, don't beat yourself up but go at it again. I myself have lost my appetite and I feel if your not hungry u won't want all the foods your used to having. Don't let yourself go to long being hungry and stop when your satisfied. When u stop sometimes it hits u in a few minutes and your like feeling really full lol. But if you do everything your dr says and it won't always be easy, you'll do great. There is alot of people that thought they couldn't do it but they did and they have the success stories to show it. Good luck

I started alot like you! My highest weight was 270 and at 5'2 that's alot of weight! I was required to do a 6 mo doctor supervised diet and one month I decided to buckle down and get serious. I lost ten pounds in one month, and got so depressed during that month. During the pre op diet my emotions were like a roller coaster ride one day I was energetic and happy the next I was crying at the drop of a hat.

Your gonna get tired of hearing this but it really does get easier. Don't they say it takes one month to form a new habit? Do your two week pre op diet after surgery you'll likely be on a very restrictive diet for another two weeks, bam that's a month. Right after surgery you won't even want to eat! Even as you are healing you won't be able to very much at one time at all.

I'm rambling... Take care, you'll be fine

Your "rambling" helps me so much!

That's true what they are saying. You won't feel hungry after surgery just remember the band is there no matter on how much you can eat. I think of it like this, if I eat to much it may get stuck or I will get sick and believe me that will scare me to death and I dont want that to happen or I will be having a panic attack lol

I had an issue last night with dinner. I had 6oz boneless chicken and I don't know if I ate too fast or ate too much but wow I got major hiccups followed by some discomfort like the food was stuck and wouldn't go down. After walking for a bit the sensation went away....

I really need to concentrate on eating slow and pay attention to the signals. Perhaps a refresher from Bandwagon is in order :)

Oh yes, highly recommended!

Last night I did great. I put my fork down in between bites and chewed slow.....now I just have to keep doing it so it will become habit.

I remember being so scared when I progressed to solids. My doc gave me a list of things that i could have as I progressed and I was excited to see that cherrios was on the list. So that was my first solid meal post-op and it took me forever to eat a 1/4 cup.

Everyone is right - you will no longer get that Thanksgiving fullness...and honestly I don't miss it. I still measure my food to be on the safe side and only measure 4 ounces...I don't always finish the 4 ounces...but if I do and still feel hungry...I always ask myself "am I really hungry or is this head hunger" and honestly every time it was head hunger. I would then do something to distract myself...hot showers always seem to get my mind off of it.

In a way I am relieved to hear it feels different after the band. I will not lie but I am scared because I have not heard from anyone who seems to have started the way I am starting. It seems that a lot of people are starting out at a lower weight (although that is not always the case). I am at 351lbs. But what really scares me is that I am not this way because I was ever hungry. I have the self control of a drug addict when it comes to food cravings. Now during my liquid diet I am sad because I miss food and I am afraid that I will never be happy again just eating a small amount of it at a time. But i am also unhappy with my life. I can't have kids at this weight...clothes are hard to but and expensive and I feel no pride in myself. I am doing well on the liquid diet but I am so sad. I'm not usually this negative and I have been posting about this for a week but I just want to know if anyone started like me?

Everyone is different and has different circumstances. Look at me I am 5'6 419 pounds!! I did not get this way from being hungry either. You are not alone by any means. While I am a man I do have fertility issues as well which my Urologist believes my weight may have played a factor. I could go on about this but it's not about me.

I think you need to really talk with someone and also find a support group that you like. I find keeping my goals and talking openly whether here or a support meeting really helps keep me in line. If your Doctor has a Psychologist on staff or can recommend one then go talk with them. Being open and honest with them as well as yourself can go a long way in finding your path to happiness and success. Over Eaters Anonymous may have local groups as well. Just a thought....

I wish you well and much success in your journey and please keep using this site and these wonderful people as a resource for support.

Jim

I remember being so scared when I progressed to solids. My doc gave me a list of things that i could have as I progressed and I was excited to see that cherrios was on the list. So that was my first solid meal post-op and it took me forever to eat a 1/4 cup.

Everyone is right - you will no longer get that Thanksgiving fullness...and honestly I don't miss it. I still measure my food to be on the safe side and only measure 4 ounces...I don't always finish the 4 ounces...but if I do and still feel hungry...I always ask myself "am I really hungry or is this head hunger" and honestly every time it was head hunger. I would then do something to distract myself...hot showers always seem to get my mind off of it.

Regarding the need to eat slower- there's an app for that. "eat slower" excellent tool