Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

100 pounds in one year

Has anyone reached one hundred pounds off in one year or is this unrealistic let me know

I have lost 85 pounds since May. Two months to go before my anniversary (May 23). I do have to admit, though, things have really slowed down. I have not lost (OR GAINED) any weight in the last two months or so.

We shall see....

I have lost 124 since April 18, 2005. So I am proof it can happen, although a loss of 1/2 lb to 2 lbs a week is what is expected from the band it doesn't always happen that way. Everyone looses at their own rate.

Yes, losing 100 pounds in a year is an unreasonable expectation.

Of course, it all depends on who you are, doesn't it. Obviously, for most of the folks who've posted in this thread already, it is reasonable, but if you are a Turtle, it is completely out of the question.

And the thing is, you don't know you are a Turtle until you are a Turtle.

Flower, I'd agree with Vines that 100 lbs in a year is an unreasonable expectation. It's not at all impossible, just not likely. Most successful bandsters are going to lose 1-2 lbs a week, but it's only the UPPER segment of those people who will achieve 100 lbs in a year.

Is it unrealistic for you? Only you can say. It would have been unrealistic for me, since I wasn't willing to count every calorie and work out every day. But I still lost within that 1-2 lbs a week for a first-year total off of 70 lbs. So that's what was realistic for me.

I disagree that this is an "unrealistic" expectation. I just think there are more factors to consider and it can be a completely realistic expectation. I think you need to look at what your total excess weight is (how much you need to lose), how you adjust to your band, how often you work out, and how often you "stray" from quality foods. Sometimes age can be a factor too. But the band is supposed to help people lose 50-60% of their excess--keep that in mind.

Two things, IMHO, have helped me to lose as much as I have. First, you have to get your 60-70 g of Protein or your weight loss will stall. It has happened to me. The second... move your body. I work out 3-4 times a week for at least 45 min. I had to work up to that point. When I first started it was only 10 min. I have hit two plateaus so far in 11 months. That is when I know to step up my work out some. It has jump started my weight loss again.

I have not hit 100 yet (so close), but I still have 5 weeks before my 1 year anniversary. Just be realistic and Celebrate all your successes!

See KS, that's just it. It will probably be realistic for you but that doesn't mean that it is realistic for Flower. We don't know any of her stats. She could be an extrodinary bandster with a BMI of over 55, or she could have started out at 220, and her body needs to weigh 145 because of her muscle mass.

Oh, and don't for a minute think that living the model bandster life will always work. Because it doesn't always work.

See KS, that's just it. It will probably be realistic for you but that doesn't mean that it is realistic for Flower. We don't know any of her stats. She could be an extrodinary bandster with a BMI of over 55, or she could have started out at 220, and her body needs to weigh 145 because of her muscle mass.

Oh, and don't for a minute think that living the model bandster life will always work. Because it doesn't always work.

Vinesqueen, That is exactly what I meant. Maybe I did not say it correctly. I just don't think it should be said that it is unrealistic. It just depends on too many factors that we don't know about. :eek:

I also agree with you on "living the model bandster life". This is such an individual journey. No one has the same experience.

I totally admit that I do not keep a food journal, do not count calories, carbs or weigh my food any longer. But my band has helped me with Portion Control and food choices. I love the fact that my life feels totally normal. Closing in on 100 and ... it's all good!! :biggrin1:

Everyone is different. No one knows what will happen when you try to lose.. I am one of the older bandsters. I am unable to do much in the way of exercise, due to being over weight for so long. But, I have been one of the lucky ones. I have 4 1/2 months to go to my 1 yr anniversary, and I have about 23 lbs to lose to have 100 lbs off.

Hi,

I lost 120 lbs my first year, but I worked really really hard to get it off and I also started at a high BMI.

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-150 ish

Depends on the person. I am 7 months out and over 80lbs down.

It is possible...depends on who you are...See my stats..I am trying for that goal. I hope I can do it. However, I need to work hard by staying on track food wise and increase activity.

I "only" had 100 lbs to lose ... so yeah, it was an unrealistic expectation for me. As it turned out, I didn't even lose 50 the first year ... I had setbacks with reflux and having to get unfills. I eventually got to my goal...after about 2.5 years ... and now it doesn't really matter to me how long it took.

I think the answer is "it depends". There are a lot of variables. Number one is how much you actually have to lose. Me, I have 138 to lose, and since June I've lost 81 so I think if I stay strong, I could get to 100 lbs lost by this June. Then again, some folks with lots to lose have a slow metabolism. It depends on what you eat, how much you exercise, and a WHOLE LOT of other factors.

Flower, if you are contemplating this surgery and want some "good news", yes folks here have lost 100 lbs or more in a year. But please bear in mind plenty of others haven't.

I'll say this...the band has worked miracles in how I view food and how I eat. It is a MIRACLE! So go down that path? Ask us about the non scale ways in which the band has saved our lives....we've got a ton of stories.

Blessings on your journey!!