Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I'm Angela aka Blast. I recently noticed that after my son's birth, 7 years ago, I don't have many pictures of me. I dislike taking pictures because I hate the size I am.

A friend of mine is getting lap band surgery and that's what got me interested in doing weight loss surgery. I do not have much support from other friends or family. Every keeps saying, "Why don't you do it the natural way?" After looking at some youtube and reading posts on here, it seems like it is just a tool, not a procedure that automatically makes me lose weight.

I've done a lot of weight loss diets before with the same outcome. It works for a while, then I get discouraged. I would work out hard and change my diet, but my size would change and not the numbers on the scale. That was so discouraging after training so hard to lose maybe 5 pounds.

I'm hoping joining this group online will get me some support and advice about the lap band before and after I get the surgery. I even have a list of things I want to do once I get to goal weight. This list also gives you an idea of what type of person I am

The List

1) Sky diving

2) Wear a swimsuit that I like

3) Travel to Fiji and pack only swimsuits

4) Cute Halloween costume

5) Tattoo on the side of my ribs

6) New wardrobe (not from Ashley or Lane)

7) Photo Shoot

8) Dance *wink*

9) Run a 5k

10) Buy a ring

11) Belly button piercing

12) Go to an amusement park without wondering if I will fit

13) Buy some Christians (shoes)

14) Go karaoke

15) Run down the street in the buff

16) Not be known as the fat one

17) Go snorkeling in the GA aquarium

18) Cute pregnancy

19) Takes tons of pics of whole body

20) Run after my kid without being winded

21) Get a LBD (little black dress)

I can do!!!! Lapband is a tool. You still have to do the work. This site will give you support but you need someone close to you to encourage you. I love your list because it sounds like mine. I was banded on April 2. Preop started 3/19 and I'm down 35 pounds. There was one week I didn't lose. But I love the way I'm looking. I have about 100 still to lose but I will make it. Good luck!

You seem to have lost a lot and your just getting started. I have the one friend who is getting banded in July. So hopefully all goes well and I will get my surgery in August. We go to the same school, so we plan on being each others support. We will see how it goes though. Thank You for the ecouragement though.

The fact that you can recognize already that weight loss surgery is just a tool, and not magic, means you're already on your way to success.

I like #3 on your list. I'll carry your bags for you, if you want.

You can certainly do those 21 items and more. Best of luck...Yesssss..

It is just a tool! That's my favorite part about it! Bc I know that if I lose the weight on my own, it will eventually come back. With the band, it won't come back!! =)

I think the "bucket list" is a good idea. As you lose weight it can be checked off, that will be fun. Having some goals is good, I wanted to ride a bike(without embarrassment), wear a size 10, the 14's are getting very loose, go swimming and more.

To tell you the truth, I really wasn't convinced that I would do all the things but, it is fun to work towards a goal!

Good luck, keep reading and learn as much as you can. try to make some changes to your eating now, drink lots of Water, start a reasonable exercise plan and you will start to feel sooooo good.

this is a great site and you will read it all ( good bad and the ugly!).

I can already tell I will love this group. Thank you all for the support. It is a breath of fresh air from what I am used to. The best thing about the list is i don't have to wait until I reach goal weight, I can start checking things off when I feel like it. The skydiving, you have to be under 230. So I want to be 200. I don't want to pay extra.

OMG !! I love the goal list.I think I will create one myself.probably a lot of the same things u have LoL !! Except karaoke I have been a karaoke queen for years.as a plus size black woman when u walk in the room people automatically assume u can sing.it's one of the the "fat girl" stereotypes I didn't have a problem with.we are all here to support and answer questions in any way possible .one thing I like about the people here is they are not afraid to push u or tell u when u need to stop making excuses and I feel like it's done in Love.u truly will have a family of support here Good luck on your journey !!

welcome to the club!

Some of my pals went sky diving right after reaching their goals. Horray

Wow your list has a lot of the same that I have on my list. Good luck with your endeavors & please reach out to everyone on here, we are all in this together. :D

Thank You everybody. I feel way more confident in getting this procedure since I have support. I will definetely be asking questions if they are not already in other forums.

You should make a list too!! It gives you something else to look forward to. I would be super nervous as well. Did you have a hard time with the liquid diet for two weeks? Congrats on taking the first step to a new beginning of life. Do you miss the junk food already, or has the fasting helped curb some of the cravings?