Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys! So, I got banded on 5/.15 and came home from the hospital yesterday and it's been rough. It is a lot harder getting around at home and in and out of bed. Also, the pain meds I was given in the hospital made me feel great and the ones I have at home are not doing the same thing. Anyway here's the questions I have for you guys!:

How much were you drinking the first few days post op?

How did you take your pills? Did you just crush them and mix them with Water and suck it up how gross it was?

What was your pain level at and what day did it become more managable?

Did you take anything speical for the gas pains?

How much did you walk around post op?

AND most importantly, how did you seperate the feeling of surgery pain and pain from being full? I've been drinking so little because I feel as though I'm not going to be able to tell when I'm full :(

Hi there. I just got banded yesterday morning. I really havent had much pain, my surgeron did send me home with liquid meds thoughs. As far as the gas pains, my husband massaging my shoulder really seemed to help but even that doesnt seem so bad this morning. Yesterday I think I drank about a litter and a half of Water and had nearly a whole box of sugar free popciles I had horried dry mouth.

I was banded Monday May 14th. I could only drink about 16oz total the day of surgery, then 32 oz Water and 24oz of Protein Shakes all day days 2 and 3, and about 12 oz of Soup and so far I have gotten down 16oz water and 12 oz Protein Shake and a scrambled egg this morning on day 4. I do not feel pain when I feel full, so I think you may be just feeling the surgical pain still. My doc told me I could take my pills whole and I have, even fairly large capsules with no problem. My pain has been fairly manageable from the day after surgery on. As far as gas pain, a heating pad helped me more than anything, even pain meds. I also did not have a fill during the surgery- maybe you did and that's why you are uncomfortable?? I can say at least I feel better every day.

I just swallowed my pills whole but they were about the size of an m&m. Post op day 2 was my worst pain day but I wasn't farting (TMI sorry) and I was miserable. My pain medicine was making my bowel issue worse do I stopped it. My doc told me to try aleve for a few days instead.

I walked some. I'd rest for a few hours but tried to walk for 5-10 minute intervals around the house or down the street as much as I could. I was dizzy.

I didn't keep track of my Water intake but if I didn't pee every few hours I knew I needed to try to drink more. I understand you being hesitant to drink, not yet knowing your limits.

Good luck to you!

I drank 8 oz off broth three time a day and a Protein shake 3 times a day the first 7 days. I was able to take my blood thinner pill (which was very small) no problems. My doctor did not want me to take Vitamins for 2 weeks. I did misc walking around. Day 2 after I went out shopping with my mother (she drove); and would walk around a store or 10-15 minutes, go back to the car drive to another store and walk around some more.

I agree with previous poster. Did you get a fill at surgery? I would'nt worry about stretching your pouch. Think of your pouch as a funnel. Water/liquid goes through the funnel no problem.

I had liquid pain medication, but the rule of thumb for swallowing pills with the LB is that they should be no bigger or longer than the tip of your pinky finger. Most pills can be cut in half, any pharmacist will check to make sure of this for you, and that can prevent having to crush medications and deal with the awful taste. As far as Water goes, you can't really drink too much. My MD told me to be constantly drinking sips of water for the first 1-3 days post op as tolerated. The goal for the first week post op was at least 32 oz of water, more is better though. For the gas pain, gax x strips worked great for the intestinal gas, but the gas they use to inflate your abdomen, the only thing that helped was walking. If your post op diet instructions were anything like mine, you are on liquids for a few days after surgery so feeling full shouldn't be an issue. I really didn't feel like I was even hungry until maybe post op day 4 or 5. The incisions sites really never hurt that bad at all, it was the gas pain. By day 2-3 you should be able to be pretty pain free when taking your pain medication as prescribed. Also, I would walk as much as you feel up to, at least 2-3 short walks the first could of days post op.

I was banded yesterday, I have been plagued with HORRIBLE gas pains! NOTHING works (Mylicon drops, gas-x, mylanta, peppermint tea)....

I cut my pills in half. I drank 16 oz of Water, maybe 8 oz of apple juice, and half cup of Jello.

Get it as much as you can, I can't see it being possible to get the recommended in!?

Good Luck to EVERYONE!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

The first 3 days are the worst but it gets A LOT better after that. At 9 days post op, i feel pretty low energy still, but I only have pain first thing in the morning and if I move my abs. It is only localized at the largest incision/port site.

Like you, I noticed my pain level shot up once I got home from the hospital. Even with the pain medication, getting in bed felt like I was being stabbed in my chest. Make sure you are taking medication on schedule, or even 15-30 minutes early because that's how long it takes to kick in! My pain med was in liquid form and my anti nausea pill dissolved in the mouth.

I was walking laps around my house or a block outside. I think 5 minutes of walking 5 times a day is fine.

walk as much as you can, it really helps with the gas pains. you can't get too much Water in, the funnel analogy is apt. Just sip slowly. Did you have a hernia repair done at the same time? That can be a little more uncomfortable. I was good the first day, then kind of meh days 2-4 (back to work on the 4th day), then slowly better until day 8 I suddenly realized how good I felt!

walk as much as you can' date=' it really helps with the gas pains. you can't get too much Water in, the funnel analogy is apt. Just sip slowly. Did you have a hernia repair done at the same time? That can be a little more uncomfortable. I was good the first day, then kind of meh days 2-4 (back to work on the 4th day), then slowly better until day 8 I suddenly realized how good I felt![/quote']

I PERSONALLY DIDN'T HAVE HERNIA REPAIR, I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING I COULD DO FOR THIS GAS PAIN, I HAVE TO STICK IT OUT!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I was banded on 5/11

• Not even 8 oz. of anything until day 5.
  • Absolutely not! I crushed them into apple sauce then washed it down with a sip of Water.< br />
  • Pain level was never more than a 7, even when I was right out of surgery. Around day 4 it was tolerable. As of today, I can get up out of the laying position with no struggle.
  • Nothing for gas pains, still waiting it out, I really haven't even had any pain from that.
  • I slept like a rock for the first two days, pain meds, up to today I haven't done much walking, went back to work on day 4? But I'm a receptionist so I sit at work anyway. I can't climb stairs..well I can but I feel like I've climbed Mt. Everest when I get to the top so I try not to if I don't have to.
  • I have the same problem, I'm thinking thats why I'm so weak about taking stairs. I'm terrified to stretch anything so if I think I'm full I call it an abrupt quit. I'm at 1 11oz Protein Shake a day, and 12 oz of water. I did start taking my multivit again though, and that has seemed to help a bit.

I had my surgery May 11th. The highest pain I had was a 7 I guess. The gas pain was in my left shoulder but that is much better today. I'm going back to work tomorrow, I decided to take my vacation for my surgery. Lets see the day after surgery I was drinking some but not much I did a lot of sleeping. Day 3...4...5...6... I've had my 3 8oz shakes and for the most part I did get my liquids in one day I actually had 68oz. I started back on my vit/cal today. My Calcuim Citrate is powder and my vit d is liquid and I just add it to my shakes. It makes my shakes a little chalky but not back. I've saved so much money doing it this way. Anyways if you have any ??? just ask. My journey so far has been well worth it and would do it all over again. My weight loss so far is good and I'm well pleased.

Have a blessed evening

Tammy