Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Band Surgery

Hey All,

I am in the very early stages of considering Lap Band surgery. I am 33 years old, weigh 260, 5'6". Thankfully my BP is borderline / good (depending on the day) but I have had high cholesterol since high school and about a year ago, my liver enzymes went above normal (I do not drink and things such as hepatitis and other liver diseases were ruled out, and my liver ultrasound was normal, but it may be related to my weight). I am not on any meds. I also have a neurological disorder that I was born with. While I am mobile, my legs are quite weak, which means I have to be creative with my exercise. I've tried some dieting in the past, but have not had any long term success. Now my weight just keeps on an upward trend which sucks and I have a tough time with willpower. There is a strong history of cardiac issues / heart attacks on one side of my family and I am fearful of going down that road myself. If I do not get my weight under-control, my fear may become a reality!!! I also want to lose weight as I hope that will help to keep me mobile as long as possible. While my docs do not think that I will progress to needing a wheelchair do to my neuro condition itself, I am afraid that my weight might get to the point where that scale is tipped. I hope that I have a good shot of getting the insurance approval due to my BMI and also high cholesterol.

I am going to an informational session next week (just signed up today)! My Mom had WLS last year (gastric bypass) and is doing great! I've been able to see her experience and how much it has benefited her but have also been able to see her struggles, so I feel that I have a realistic view of WLS and what I might be in for. So far, she is the only one that I have told that I am considering this, and she has been very supportive. I know that weight loss surgery is only a tool and in fact, it seems like in some ways it may be harder than regular diet and exercise alone, but I think that my health would really benefit from it in multiple ways!

How did you all decide on the lap band versus other types of WLS? I am leaning towards the lap band because I am afraid of the "permanence" of the other procedures. (AKA, if something were to go wrong - even if risks are small - it could be reversed. I also have GI issues, so I really do not want to be messing around with my gut by getting a bypass). That being said, I do hope that the lap band will lead to positive permanent change!!!

Any other advice??? :)

I am sure that I will come up with many more questions down the road. I'll be back!

I was 256 when I had the surgery. Almost 2x your age. I wish you luck and truly hope that you do it.

I am also 5ft 6 inch. I am now 64 years old. 89 lbs less.

This is what I think...I am direct....If you don't do something you will not be 260lbs any more. You will be 261+ Take a look at all the girls who have had the lapband. They are doing great and so will you.

Keep thinking possitive for your self. Have someone take a photo of you front and back.

Readers Digest version of my decision - Insurance would cover most of the LapBand and none of anything else.

Other reason's - lifelong follow up with docs, not re-routing or removing any of your insides, does not cause mal absorption, removable, adjustable just to name a few.

Welcome LBWannabe! I too am in the early stages. I decided on the Lap Band versus the bypass or sleeve because I too have a neurological disorder and the LB has the shortest recovery time and is fully reversible on the off chance that my body rejects the band, my neuro symptoms get worse or if I just change my mind. Turns out that my surgeon says he wouldn't even consider the other procedures for me because of the neuro condition. That was confirmation enough for me that the LB is it!

Good luck with your journey hun!

I decided on the lap band because it is reversible and adjustable. Knowing that if I need to tighten it to reach my goal or loosen, if I want, when I go on a vacation is what made my mind up. It is a tool that you can use how you need and want to use it.

I picked the Lapband because I think it's healthier than gastric bypass. With the lapband, you lose slow in a way that is easier on your body. It is reversible and no one is messing with your intestines. However, it has been a lot of hard work on my part. For me, it's been a tool like a pedometer is a tool. If you don't clip on the pedometer or you don't do anything with the information then you wasted your money on it. I've found these forums extremely helpful in getting me over the initial "band failure" that I experienced. Some experience instant success. I think that it just works better with some people's anatomy than others but it can work for almost all with just more personal effort, doctor consultations, and the willingness to try new habits. You won't know if it's going to be easy, hard, or somewhere in the middle until you get the band.

I had the Lapband because, I was a self pay. Now, I am really sure that I had the correct surgery. I have been meeting lots of past Gastric by pass people. And they are crying since they got fat again.

Now that I am almost at my goal. (Which is the hardest lbs to loose) I am very happy with the choice.

Thanks for all of your replies! They really do help!

Update: I have decided to go with the gastric sleeve, because for me it just made more sense and it is also what the surgeon recommended for me. Thanks for all of your support though, and I wish you all continued success with your lap-bands!

Lapband is has a shorter recovery time less cutting shorter surgery time slower weight loss(less chance of saggy skin) so it fit for me

Sent from my Desire HD using LapBandTalk

Goodluck on your sleeve journey !! Makes sure you really do your research before going under the knife/laser

If u haven't made the plunge yet here is a pretty unbiased chart comparing sleeve band and bypass.

Weight loss surgery site for info

http://www.trueresul...-loss-surgeries

On this site I'm sure you can still find support especially in the pre op phase, exercise,etc,