Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Band Losers!

I'm seeking out all the major band losers (weight loss that is!) that have lost a significant amount of weight! I'd love to hear your best tips and even before and after pictures! Really any advice you can offer those of us just getting started. I was banded April 2 and am down 21lbs, but it's slowing down now.

Quit dieting! I waited for 4 mths to get restriciton and during that time, I didn't lose much weight. I tried to keep my portions minimal but failed miserably. But after my 3rd fill - magic happened! I felt "full" after like 6 bites of a meal. After 2 1/2 yrs, I still can only eat a half of a sandwich (yes, I eat bread, rice and Pasta still) and I'm stuffed. My eyes are still bigger than my stomach and when I fill my plate the first thing my husband says is "You're never gunna eat all that". I go out to eat often and ALWAYS bring home about 2/3 of my meal. Any meal is like 3 meals for me.

Be patient. That's my biggest advise. You're not gunna lose it all overnight. I lost mine really slowly (about 75 lbs the first year, 20 lbs the 2nd, and working on the rest in the 3rd year). I still have about 10 lbs till goal, and they are BY FAR the hardest to take off. Just remember, you're probably not gunna have much restriction until your 2nd to 4th fill. You'll have to watch your portion sizes because the band won't do it for you. At 2 mths post op, I was still able to eat a large Quiznos sandwich and a bowl of broccoli cheese Soup - and still have room for some Cookies. Now, I order a small Quiznos and it lasts for 3 meals. I can eat 1 or 2 Cookies and be satisfied for days. I still get hungry, almost everyday. It won't help you with hunger. It'll just help you keep your portions to a 3 yr olds portions. I get jealous sometimes, like on holidays and I see family eating so much. Sometimes I'd like to have that "stuffed" feeling again - not the sick feeling I have when I'm too full. Or when we're on a cruise and I see people ear their weight at the buffet. But I wouldn't trade my band for diamonds!

Good luck to you! You can do it. Just remember, take your time. You got the band so as not to diet again. I eat EVERYTHING (cept pizza crust and pineapple chunks - they don't stay down very well) just in really small quantities. If I could keep my portions down without the band, I would've done so without the band. Keep us posted on your progress!

Marci

I was banded on April 3rd and lost 20 lbs. We are about the same with our weight loss. That is a good rate at about 3 lbs per week. We are just getting started on this journey. Slow and steady we go.

Quit dieting! I waited for 4 mths to get restriciton and during that time' date=' I didn't lose much weight. I tried to keep my portions minimal but failed miserably. But after my 3rd fill - magic happened! I felt "full" after like 6 bites of a meal. After 2 1/2 yrs, I still can only eat a half of a sandwich (yes, I eat bread, rice and Pasta still) and I'm stuffed. My eyes are still bigger than my stomach and when I fill my plate the first thing my husband says is "You're never gunna eat all that". I go out to eat often and ALWAYS bring home about 2/3 of my meal. Any meal is like 3 meals for me.

Be patient. That's my biggest advise. You're not gunna lose it all overnight. I lost mine really slowly (about 75 lbs the first year, 20 lbs the 2nd, and working on the rest in the 3rd year). I still have about 10 lbs till goal, and they are BY FAR the hardest to take off. Just remember, you're probably not gunna have much restriction until your 2nd to 4th fill. You'll have to watch your portion sizes because the band won't do it for you. At 2 mths post op, I was still able to eat a large Quiznos sandwich and a bowl of broccoli cheese Soup - and still have room for some Cookies. Now, I order a small Quiznos and it lasts for 3 meals. I can eat 1 or 2 Cookies and be satisfied for days. I still get hungry, almost everyday. It won't help you with hunger. It'll just help you keep your portions to a 3 yr olds portions. I get jealous sometimes, like on holidays and I see family eating so much. Sometimes I'd like to have that "stuffed" feeling again - not the sick feeling I have when I'm too full. Or when we're on a cruise and I see people ear their weight at the buffet. But I wouldn't trade my band for diamonds!

Good luck to you! You can do it. Just remember, take your time. You got the band so as not to diet again. I eat EVERYTHING (cept pizza crust and pineapple chunks - they don't stay down very well) just in really small quantities. If I could keep my portions down without the band, I would've done so without the band. Keep us posted on your progress!

Marci[/quote']

Wow! Thanks for all the info girl! I really appreciate it! I've had one fill so far and it didn't make any difference really. My next one is in 2 weeks. I had the new band with plication so I've been able to avoid bandster hell since they folded my Lower stomach in thirds!

I am about 12 months ahead of you and have lost 60kg (about 135lb). The keys to my success have been:

• Great support from my husband. He has literally been beside me every step of the way
  • Exercise. I thought I was fit before (ha ha!) but now I cycle, dance, walk or swim every day and love it. Planning a 100km bike ride this weekend
  • Goals. I set smaller goals along the way and rewarded myself at each achievement. Mostly little things like a new watch when I broke through the 100kg mark, a new bike light when I could cycle 50km in a day, new dress for my son's wedding, etc. Having goals in smaller chunks makes them seem more achievable
  • Follow up visits with my surgeon. He insists on them but I value them for being able to see him regularly, discuss my progress, get questions answered and, of course, get fills when needed

I am about 12 months ahead of you and have lost 60kg (about 135lb). The keys to my success have been:

[*]Great support from my husband. He has literally been beside me every step of the way

[*]Exercise. I thought I was fit before (ha ha!) but now I cycle' date=' dance, walk or swim every day and love it. Planning a 100km bike ride this weekend

[*']Goals. I set smaller goals along the way and rewarded myself at each achievement. Mostly little things like a new watch when I broke through the 100kg mark, a new bike light when I could cycle 50km in a day, new dress for my son's wedding, etc. Having goals in smaller chunks makes them seem more achievable

[*]Follow up visits with my surgeon. He insists on them but I value them for being able to see him regularly, discuss my progress, get questions answered and, of course, get fills when needed

That's awesome! You go girl! That's so inspiring!

Everyone loses differently. I am down 75lbs and it's almost 2 years since my Lapband. Very happy with it. More interested in exercising now. Love new clothes.

I am "Old School" In other words I like to keep it simple and not over think it.

"The less you eat, the more you loose"

I hear people say all the time...I'm not loosing..I need another fill. Why? Is it because a tighter band will make you eat less? Of course it does...then why worry about not eating enough at the same time you want another fill to eat less???

Of course, you need your Protein, Vitamins and Water.

I've been really bad about taking my vitamins! But I like the whole not over thinking it thing! I get too hung up on counting every calorie!!! It get so frustrating

I do too! I count every calorie! It's very frustrating and it is annoying! I have heard a lot of people say its not what you eat, it's how much! I feel like I've been on a diet all my life and now I have the band Im still dieting! So it does work without dieting? Just watch your portions? I need to get off this 3 month plateau. Im sick of seeing 188-186 on my scale I could just scream!

It's all about the FOOD! If u ask me ne ways. When I'm @ restriction I don't count calories. Also u will plateau. Everyone does. I personally loose for 2 wks then hold steady for 2 wks. I'm down 120 lbs in 13 months.

I've had a lil set back due to be unfilled & unable to exercise bc of plastic surgery. So currently I am counting cals to help get the last 13 lbs of my 30 lb weight gain off! Surgery was 3 wks ago... I had a ton of swelling. But right b4 surgery I hit 120 lbs lost & was 14 lbs from my 150 lb goal weight :)