Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

College Student With Doubts Considering Lap Band

Hello!

I'm a 21 year old college student, thinking about getting the lap band procedure done. I have to admit, I am a little (okay, maybe more than a little) nervous about it. I'm 140+ lbs overweight and I feel like getting the surgery done would help me get the excess weight off (along with a strict diet and regular exercise). I'm still slightly hesitant about whether or not it's a good idea for me though. I desperately want to lose weight because I know how much at risk I am for serious health issues (and I also don't want to spend my college years feeling bad and ashamed about my weight and not really living life to the fullest and being happy and confident about myself), but at the same time I feel like maybe I haven't tried hard enough with diet and exercise? Maybe I am taking this a step further than I should?

I've been doing diets and exercise programs like Weight Watchers, I've seen a nutritionist in the past 3 years, and I've been trying to exercise regularly, but I just can't seem to lost the weight. Am I at fault here? Wow, sorry if that's getting a little too deep or personal. I just worry that I haven't tried hard enough, that there's something wrong with me. Does anyone else feel like that? I mean, for me at least, exercising is hard because it's hard to get the energy and motivation to do anything because my body feels so tired all the time and moving is just hard as it is (so I don't even bother trying, because I don't see it getting better any time soon), and dieting is hard because there's just sooo much weight to lose, that I've almost given up.

I was hoping that getting the lap band would help give me a boost so I can get up and running with losing weight. Is that a bad way to look at it? I'm sorry for the long introduction -- I just thought I'd put it all out there because, at this point, I'm not sure which direction to go in or what to do with myself.

Any words of wisdom (or even just words), would be appreciated! Thanks!

First off, no, you're not at fault. We've all been where you are and know what it's like to try diet after diet only to fail. Obesity isn't about a lack of willpower or laziness, it's a disease that's quickly spreading across our country and starting younger and younger. Our society of "super sized" everything, processed foods, and high fat foods is only adding to it.

The Lap-Band definitely isn't a magic bullet, it's a tool, and you still must do the work. You still have to make smart food choices and be committed to lifetime of healthy eating habits. Those that I see fail with the band very often do so because while they may eat smaller portions they're still eating crappy, high calorie, high fat food.

For me, the Lap-Band has been an answered prayer. I am satisfied with little food and can go 4-5 hours without hunger. I still have a lot of weight to lose, but with the weight I've lost so far I can't even begin to tell you how much better I feel.

Honestly, I wish that had been option for me when I was your age. It would've saved me an adulthood of being "the fat chic" and dealing with all the emotional trauma that comes with it.

Ultimately, it has to be your choice, but I have no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat. I think getting the Lap-Band is by far the best decision I've ever made for myself.

Best wishes to you!

I completely agree! I was apprehensive and it took me a long time before I took the steps and considered the band really seriously. I am 3 weeks post op and since the 2 week pre op liquid diet, I have lost 21 lbs. The discomfort lasts a little over a week and is very bearable. I'm 28 and wish I had done it when I was 24 when I first considered it. Your head has to be in the right place and of course you're going to have doubts and questions so do loads of research, watch you tube diaries, look at before and after pics of others who have been successful, then imagine your own transformation and all the confidence that will come with a wonderful, new lifestyle.

I've realised that by following the programme, I'm enjoying my reeducation and my confidence has increased, my mood is better, my head is happier, I have increased energy levels. I'm discovering myself and my body for the first time. I understand that what I put into my body has consequences. If I choose to put the correct stuff in then the consequences will be good, guaranteed. I know I can succeed! I have accepted that this is it, this is my time.... You can have all those feelings to. It's like by making the decision you're in control of your life and the possibilities are endless. I can't wait to get to the finish line! The band has made this a reality. It literally assists you. You get to know it, you begin to understand and be aware of actual hunger- ask yourself, am I feeding my body or my mind and you'll be amazed at how sensible you can become. It is hard at first, but you can do it. Just like I did. I still have a long way to go but I have dropped my BMI from 42 to 39 in a month. I'm 20% there already... :)

The whole process so far has felt good, it is staged apart so that you have mini goals along the way- 2 weeks pre op liquid, op, 2 weeks post op liquid, week on mushy foods, week 4 introduce textureed healthy tasty foods. And in that time, new good habits have been formed, your tastes change, your mindset shifts, your motivation remains....

This has been the best decision I have made so far! I wouldnt change it for the world. I hope I might have given you some food for thought :) Good luck with your decision

@Missy281, I think you got the best two advices on here and I couldn't agree more with both.

Stay on here and read read read, ask ask ask, thats what I do, LOL.

Best of luck to you with whatever decision you decide (hugs)

-Patty

Hi everyone!

Thank you so so so much for your advice and support. I've been thinking through it throughout today and after seeing your responses, I'm definitely leaning toward getting the surgery done. I really do want my life to "start" now, and I think that the surgery can help me get there (though I do understand that I'll be doing the real legwork). I think it'll be worth it. I'm actually really excited about it now and am looking forward to getting the process started! I haven't chosen a doctor/weight loss center/hospital yet, but I'm working on it and I'm going to an information session tomorrow night at a weight loss center/hospital in my area. Again, thank you so much for your help and encouragement! You guys are awesome!

I don't regret this surgery and band. I weighed 268 and I'm down to 188. I have more to go and was banded over a year ago. You learn to listen to your body, learn the tool, and follow the rules. I love my band and support team that put it in. You will need support. Good luck!