Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Normal? Is Anyone Experiencing Or Experienced These Feeling 2 Weeks Before Surgery?!

So I am two weeks until surgery and I must say I am pretty nervous about everything. I know I want this more than anything because I want to get my life back...but I am also second guessing things thinking about the fact that I will no longer be able to go out and eat the foods that I have been used to for so long. Do we all go through this second guessing stage? I kind of hope to hear that this is normal and that some people had the same thoughts thinking about cancelling their surgery, but then knowing that is not what is the right thing to do. I keep thinking is this surgery something I should be doing? Why can't I just lose weight the "right" way. Am I really taking the easy way out? Am I going to want to eat things like cakes or wings at wing night and will I not be able to? I am just unsure about the surgery because I want to lose weight more than ever but I think the hardest part is getting through it mentally and overcoming the want for food. I'm a fat girl, what can I say?

IS THIS NORMAL? IS ANYONE EXPERIENCING THESE FEELINGS 2 WEEKS PRE OP?

I felt the same way and also the first week of my surgey. It was so hard watching my family eat all the food I love to eat and only be able to drink clear stuff. It gets easier as time goes by. I'm just ready to be healthy and be able to do stuff with my family without hurting. Good luck!! And you can do it.

food has been our friend, comfort and even confidante for so long that it is like breaking up with a lover! I think it's natural to grieve for this change in one of our most significant relationships in life - but don't forget all of the great reasons why you have made this decision.

Try writing down a list of the reasons why you want to get healthy and what they will mean to your quality of life, your family, relationships and possibly even your career. This will help you to put the whole thing into perspective.

Yes, you will have to made some major changes to how and what you eat, but continuing on the way you have been is what has you got you where you are now.

Once you start eating post-band, and especially once you get some fills and feel satiety or restriction, you will work out by trial and error what you can eat, how much and whether it is worth the cost in terms of your weight loss.

I love the fact that I can now dance all night, cycle 60 -80 km in a day without even thinking about, that I can buy clothes from normal racks, sometimes even with S for small on them! I love that my husband and I have become even closer and that he is my greatest supporter on this journey. I love that my career has taken off on a new trajectory and I don't doubt that this is because I have lost weight and am now regarded differently in the workplace.

Hang in there and you will get through this!

my fears before surgery were literally just dying on the table because something went wrong. i never thought about not having my favorite foods etc. because that was exactly the reason i was getting the surgery - to stop myself from having all the bad yummy foods - or stop myself from having much of them. You may find like i did that you can eat whatever you want for several months after surgery (meaning after the healing phase) because if you are like me you won't get restriction until multiple fills later. Now i am really tight on restriction - but i still have a few bites of the bad foods all the time - but i physically cannot eat more. This was exactly the reason i got the surgery. any time i am sad about missing out on the pig outs or the big dinners etc. i just look in the mirror - i've lost 124+ pounds in less than 11 months and you can bet my life has done a 180. Not bragging here but literally every single day one or multiple people are falling all over themselves to compliment me and tell me how great i look. that rush from the constant positive attention truly outweighs my sadness at loss of food (or loss of the way i used to eat). I'm betting you will feel the same way a year from now. BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL ON OUR JOURNEYS!!!!
:)

Yes, I was very nervous. "What if this fails me too". I lost 100 lbs, and am in maintenace. My surgeon calls me a success story.

I am 63 years old and loving my new life! Best wishes! I think we all, if we admt it to ourselves, were scared/or are scared. Karen

I started the process last year and gave up pretty quickly. I wasn't ready. I am now.

I asked myself what I was afraid of and realized the only thing I was afraid of was losing my ability to eat as much as I wanted whenever I wanted.

Haven't I done that for the past 32 years? I've never stuck to a diet for more than a few months at a time. So for maybe a year - total - out of my life I haven't just eaten whatever I wanted. I don't NEED to do that anymore. What I NEED to do is get healthy - for myself, my kids, my spouse.

It's not as if you'll never be able to eat the foods you love again. Instead, you'll have a taste or two and be done. You'll find other outlets for your emotions - whether they're joy, sorrow, fear...

Don't be afraid to lose weight. Don't be afraid to become a healthier version of yourself.

Oh SO normal:)

You are about to begin a marvelous journey.....

I love my band!

I'm still 6 weeks out and have been wondering the same thing. If I'm going to do this, I don't want to be the one that screws it up. I'm coming to terms with the risks involved (something wrong w/ the surgeon, surgery itself, the band, or my body physically rejecting the band) and have started playing head games. Can I really do this? Will this truly be the tool that helps me overcome this fight?

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words!!

Bean,

Your post is quite normal and has been posted by others every week. For me, I took an extra year to pull the trigger on surgery just because I wasn't sure I could give up cheeseburgers, chicken fried steak and overeating. Now, I know I can still eat those foods if I want(and I usually don't), but feeling healthier and wearing some of my old skinnier clothes is so worth it. The fear you have now is only in the now and a month or so after your surgery that fear will be just a silly thought from your past.

tmf

sorry your normal. :)

BTW you are not taking the easy way out. You will be working hard.

Also I go out to eat and some of the things you used to eat you will be able to eat just differently. Some things you won't and really not miss them. The smaller sizes and the healthy feeling you have will be worth it. Good luck to you and congrats with your decision.

The day I went for surgery i was in the hospital and turned to my husband and said i still have time to change my mind and leave. 2+ yrs later glad i stayed and had surgery.

Wendy

I had and still have all the same fears. I think thats normal. But it comforted me to see people here say they can still eat those foods they love, just less of it. I didn't want to put off another year of my life saying I would lose the weight eventually, like I told myself every other year.