Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Decided To Not Fill Their Band/?

I am three weeks out today..I am still feeling some restriction due to swelling of surgery.

I am scheduled to have a fill next week..

I am debating whether or not to get it filled...even filled at all.

I wanted to know if anyone had a band and never got it filled

Thanks

I felt the same way at my 5 week follow up and first fill. My band had 5cc in it from surgery. I have 1 cc put in then had it taken out 4 days later. I hated the way I felt, it was too tight. Now I am able to eat a blot more (4 weeks later) and I am thinking about should I or shouldn't I get another small fill. Or just go with it. I am losing, not fast, but the scale is going down.

If you don't feel you need it, wait!

I would simply go month by month and decide as you go. Some questions to ask yourself though:

-Can you go 4-5 hours between meals without hunger?

-Are you satisfied/not hungry after eating a cup of food or less?

-Are you losing weight?

If you answer 'yes' to all these, then you probably don't need a fill. If you answer 'no' to one or more, you may want to consider a fill. At the very least discuss it with your surgeon and see his opinion.

Good luck!

Exactly what Mis said. If the band is working for you, no need for a fill. If it isn't, get one. Simple in the beginning. Talk it over with your surgeon and make a group decision.

Thanks to all..I am not hungry much...maybe later in the evening after I have eaten at lets say 6pm and i am awake at 11p..I get a hunger feeling...

i can't get my frist fill till week 7

You should still go in to speak to your Dr, even if you don't want a fill. Just because you're scheduled for a fill doesn't mean they will always give you one.

I'm assuming this first fill is already paid for?

tmf

I am going in Monday for a post op visit. Not for a fill..I am just wondering if I can go without one for a long period of time...that is, I am three weeks post op...he said that he did not fill the band at all...I still feel restriction...I ate tonight some pasta(angel hair) had less then a cup...and I am now having chest and back spasms....

Too soon to know if you will need a fill or not. You have to get past the healing stage. Speak with your doctor.

I went on Tuesday - I was suppose to get a full but we talked about it and I was down 3.5lbs and I was staying around 1000 cals and though I get hungry its no where as bad as it use to be and decided against - I can call during the month if I feel like I can't wait until the beginning of June - that's my next appt., you get seen once a month times six months.

I have surgery Nov 2010 and I never had a fill I lost 52 pounds I do got to the doc every 2 months but I am always in the green. My weight loss is slow but hey Rome was not built in a day :-) You know if u need one

.When I went in for my yearly upper GI they said everything look good so I am rolling with it for now but if I ever feel the need for one I will get it.

i am now 6 weeks post op....I tried to eat for lunch just now a lean pocket...filled with cheese and bacon(about 240 calories)...I got thru maybe a third and had severe back pain...the ain has lessedned but is still there. I have NOT had a fill....I am finding I am limited in my food still.

I have lost 11 pounds since surgery...the scale is stubborn or lets say my body is.

At this point, a fill it seems to me is not the answer...to jump start more weight lose..

I did ask the doc and he said he had "primed" the band with saline.

any ideas of jump starting the eight lose..

Getting in 700 to 800 calories a day now....not feeling to much like excersing. anyone else feel this way?

I am going in Monday for a post op visit. Not for a fill..I am just wondering if I can go without one for a long period of time...that is' date=' I am three weeks post op...he said that he did not fill the band at all...I still feel restriction...I ate tonight some pasta(angel hair) had less then a cup...and I am now having chest and back spasms....[/quote']

At 3 weeks out, Pasta will hurt most bandsters...I didn't even attempt Pasta, rice or bread for about 4 months post op. 2 years out, those foods don't agree with me 80% of the time. As far as fills, some people can go 3, 6 or even 9 months before their first fill. I had one at 3 months (3cc) and another at 9 months (.5cc) and wouldn't want to add more unless I felt no restriction.

New,

First, lean pockets are garbage. You really need to stay away from processed foods. Eat real chicken, or real bacon slice, or real low fat cheese and don't eat bleached flour. Prepare a real meal and see how your stomach handles it?

Are you allowed solid foods already?

Regarding the 800 calories per day. Everyone will have their own take on this as it seems like some bandsters make the low calorie diet work. It doesn't work for me. I really need about 1200-1400 calories per day to stave off a metabolic freeze by my body. If I only laid around on the couch 800 might work for me but I'm active and I exercise a lot. If you don't have the fuel to move effectively you won't be able to exercise. You also can't replace fat with muscle on 800 a day. At some point your body will slow down your metabolizm if it's not getting enough calories. Like I said, everyone is different and that's what is so cool about the band. You will discover so much about your body now. You will have to relearn what foods work best and how much you need to consume to make it work for you.

The band isn't going to do it all. You're going to have to be a regular Helen Keller and come out better from it.

tmf