Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why didn't we know ... before surgery?

I think many of the questions are really asked not because people dont know the answer, but because they want reassurance. For example, it is one thing to read about PBs.... but when you are actually having your first PB you are thinking "holy cow, this hurts! is this normal". Actually experiencing something vs. reading or being told about it is not the same thing.

I personally did research for a year, but about 2 weeks post banding I was TRULY wondering if it was normal to feel as freaking hungry as I felt.....No, I personally didnt ask that question, but some people WILL...they just want to hear someone confirm "YES, it normal".

Tricia,

Do you know why I'm not losing weight when I drink 6 sprites, eat 8 chocolate bars, and watch TV all day?

LOL I COULDN'T RESIST!! I get what you're saying!!! You're probably putting into words what a lot of people think!!

Kelli

I totally "get" what Tricia is asking. I think the question was misunderstood. A few said something about coming on the forum to ask questions meaning they are stupid. I defo did not get anything near that from Tricia's original queston.

I know the title was harsh.

But the content of the thread was along the same lines when I was checking out that support meeting of that other surgeon. I was pretty shocked.

Tricia,

Do you know why I'm not losing weight when I drink 6 sprites, eat 8 chocolate bars, and watch TV all day?

LOL I COULDN'T RESIST!! I get what you're saying!!! You're probably putting into words what a lot of people think!!

Kelli

I totally "get" what Tricia is asking. I think the question was misunderstood. A few said something about coming on the forum to ask questions meaning they are stupid. I defo did not get anything near that from Tricia's original queston.

Whew!! LOL....I thought I was going to have to explain this forever. :confused:

I have been doing research for well over 4 months now, and I'm still going! On top of that I wont be able to have my surgery for another year! So I will just keep plugging away till my turn is here, and then back at it after!!

Joh

I'll toss in two cents.

If each of member of LBT asks one questions which could be perceived to be dumb, and there are tens of thousands of users, thats a LOT of 'dumb' questions.

I think that a lot of the information provided by the surgical teams and supporting documentation aren't user friendly and confuse rather than explain.

I also think that the sheer volume of posts on this forum is daunting and those who aren't used to message boards might post a question, not out of being lazy, but to get an expedited answer.

We may see a post as lazy, repetitive or even 'dumb', but if we give them the answer they need we have helped an individual.

One other thing I'll touch on is text. No tone of voice, no inflections. Just the words themselves. What might look like a dumb question might be someone crying out for support (or the kick in the pants).

Example:

I just drank 6 sprites, ate 5 candy bars, and an entire strawberry and rhubarb pie. What is happening?

Well, duh, thats a dumb question... wait... thats not a question - thats someone asking for support and advice on what they can do to change their behavior...

To sum up...

I don't think there is a 'dumb' question. I think there is just a ton of information and we need to help people find the answer. What might be dumb to one person, could be a really important question to someone else.

Benefit of the doubt is a good thing :confused:

I think a lot of us are astounded when we see questions about the very basic post op care, post op diets, fills, etc. I researched the band for a year and could tell you tons about the item that would be placed inside of me. But something I failed to research was doctors. Oddly enough, it never occurred to me to see if there were doctors outside of Boise that did the lap band surgery. I went with the only doctor in Idaho who does the bands, and later found out that it would have been alarming to know that he and his associate have done less than 150 bands! I had no idea that people went out of state, or even out of the country to get the band. I only read facts about the band. So its possible that some people just didn't know -what- to ask because they were clueless beyond what their doctor had told them. This brings me to what I find most alarming.

Why are these doctors not telling their patients what to expect and what they will need to do afterwards??!! Are they just running patients through like a herd of cattle to be branded? Calling out Next! as the last stitch is put in place? These seminars seem to be a sales pitch, and everyone is so desperate (just like me) to get this damn weight off in order to LIVE that they run up screaming Take me! Take me! and end up at home with no idea of what to do next. No doctor should band a person and leave them unaware of what is required in order to be successful with their band!

I think it's dangerous for any of us to feel that these people should be glad they have US to rely on for answers. I see people posting questions about pains, PBs, fears of allergic reactions, and so on, and I'm amazed! Why are they not calling their doctors with these questions FIRST and then coming here to tell us what they've gone through and what their doctor did about it! I want to scream WISE UP everyone! These people here have experiences but we are not YOUR doctor. We do not know YOUR body, YOUR medical history, nor should we presume to know what's best for YOU.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

I think that what Tricia was stating here is so true. We need to be more responsible for our healthcare. Many of us are too trusting and too easily convinced that something is good just because someone said so. If you are one of the ones who haven't researched the band and you feel basically in the dark about what it is and how it works, then go to google.com and search for lap band. You will find tons of information about the band itself. Also in the FAQ forum on this site, there are several posts that have links to great information sites about the band. If you are unsure about what to eat, by all means CALL YOUR DOCTOR first and talk to him or her. They know your situation and will give you the best direction for you. If you are scared or worried about your band, your port, your reactions to food or medication, by all means CALL YOUR DOCTOR and then share with us what's been going on with you and what you learned from your doctor.

It's great that we can all share our experiences with each other as we continue along the journey of weight loss, but we can help each other far more by sharing what we have learned by being responsible for our own health. Make sense? I hope so.

I researched the band fro a year, I tried to find out all I could before going through with it. A friend of mine was extremely overweight and was having health issues. Her Dr suggested the band to her and referred her to a surgeon. 1 month later she was banded. She has now lost 55kgs in 3 yrs but really knew nothing going in. I dont think she is dumb or lazy. I think she was desperate and she was told this band could save her life so she went for it. Whether or not people research by means they dont have the facilities, they may be a little slow...hey there are a million reasons, but I truely believe they arent dumb or lazy. It all comes down to desperation. Where we were all in theposition to research and find support, some arent and I dont think they should be so openly criticised for it.

Just my 2cents as well.

Exactly Photonut, well said.

My health is my responsibility, I can't assume or even trust that the medical community is going to take of me for me.

Again, Tricia is not stating people on the forum are dumb for asking questions, she is wondering why the basics are not known prior to people making the decision to have the surgery, which I think is a reasonable thing to wonder about.

In any case...ditto what Photonut said. She said it better than I.

I for one am not dumb. I have however asked alot of questions (some might consider "dumb") and to those of you whom answered..Thanks for your support....What I might consider "lazy" is the excess pounds I packed on over the years...which by the way took NO research at all.

Some people here seem to think that I'm picking on others

Furthermore, I'm not asking ANYONE to be like me.

Lastly, if I come across as being unsupportive, forgive me. That's not me either. As many of you are well aware, feelings/emotions are very hard to express via just words on a message board.

Your posts on this thread, and yes on other threads as well, do come across as being VERY judgemental. They sound as if you are not only asking, but DEMANDING that others think/act/be like you.

If you are truly looking for answers and not flame-wars you might try using language which is nurturing and supportive rather than hurtful and confrontational. "Are people just stupid or lazy" is not a good way to either ask a question or show support. If you feel the "meat" of your message would be lost without harsh or declarative statements, you can always defuse the emotion with a little humor or by simply declaring your true intentions. For instance: "I know it sounds like I hate you, but really I'm just frustrated with the situation."

Good manners and mutual respect go a long way toward expressing feelings/emotions on a message board.

Having said all that, I would like to address the subject of people asking medical questions here before contacting their doctors. First, I hope that the questions we see here are IN ADDITION to speaking with the doctor or while waiting for the doctor to return their phone call. Furthermore, if the situation isn't life threatening, what's wrong with asking people who are in the same circumstances what their experiences have been for comparison's sake before calling your doctor? Second, I think the people on this board have been very clear about the need to contact your own doctor or to follow YOUR doctor's advise if there are discrepancies in experiences.

I guess that was more than 2 cents worth huh? :confused:

Hi Penni I see people's weight take upward moves when i look at other lap bander's stats.... I see that happened to u too. Do you think that happens when you need an adjustment or what?

Hey there Bermy: I am no longer banded since Dec 2005. I lost my band to erosion. So the weight gain is from no band and eating like a pig. I am struggling every day with the head demons but eventually I WILL WIN!!!

Now back to the regularly scheduled program,...

I made a comment that the title was harsh. I didn't mean the content was harsh. I tthink the content is "spot on" as Gordon Ramsey would say. He was the chef from "Hell's Kitchen". Anyway, the only thing I am ever so gradually getting around to saying is that in the rush to post sometimes we all need to think about how things are worded.

I think we should all do our research. As Photonut commented about the thread I started "Be your OWN patient advocate" it gives the researcher some tools and questions to ask.

But then again even doing the research you can NEVER answer all the questions or you might not be ready to hear the answers at that time. Life is a learning process and sometimes you just gotta roll with it.

Tricia isn't asking us to conform to her way of thinking. I believe that she is just frustrated with the repeat questions at times. But let me clarify that she is NOT frustrated at the person but at the situation. Then again I don't wanna put words in her mouth either. That is my perception of the situation.