Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Simply Thee Best Tip For Lapband Success (From A Guy Who Lost 265Lbs)

Bandsters:

Was talking to my brother the other day and have been fascinated by his weight reduction from 429lbs to his current weight of 165lbs. Over the years...I've been asking him questions when I sense he is in a mood to answer them (he doesn't like my many questions as he never went to school and values good research like I do)

In a nutshell, I've been amazed as how "respectful" he is of his band. More specifically, I've observed an attitude (that he has) that he views his band as "THE BOSS"....and yields constantly to what his band his telling him. To point...where he SERIOUSLY doesn't play around when his band is giving him a warning sign. Its refreshing to see actually.

Yes...I know its also about aftercare, the surgeon, the foods you eat ect.... However...if you get all the areas correct...but fail to yield and be respectful of this new tool.....everything else is a loss.

He has a good surgeon, good aftercare but noticed he doesn't excercize that much and doesn't eat the right foods and notice he likes his beer alot now. But regardless, amongst all this observation.....I'm amazed on how he listens to his band and lets the band tell him what to do (not the other way around)

This advice may seem simple (and nothing new) but I can honestly say this tip of "Letting the Band Be Your Boss" is simply the #1 Reason For His Success.

Because of his success, my research and many posters here, I've now decided to take the step and get banded in July.

Blessings to all,

MD

Best wishes to you on your journey!

Thanks Mis73,,,,,congrats on average losing 20lbs per month by the way.

P.S. What is your thoughts so far on your band and also....have you noticed that you are conciously aware of your band talking to you?

Wishing you all the best on your journey from here on out. :)

Has anbody else come to this conclusion on being successful with the Band? Obviously, I'm trained in research, observing attitudes and seeing the root cause of something.

However, this is just my observation with my brother and I do know other people have alot of other experiences and thoughts. But I'm curious if perhaps this is a trend here....in terms of sharpening your "inner ear" to be sensative what the band is tell you. Perhaps this is a major key in terms of lapband success (obviously outside of a good doctor and aftercare)

Thoughts?

Thanks Mis73,,,,,congrats on average losing 20lbs per month by the way.

P.S. What is your thoughts so far on your band and also....have you noticed that you are conciously aware of your band talking to you?

Thank you!

So far, I absolutely love my band. I firmly believed it's saved my life, I know it's definitely improving my quality of life daily.

And yes, I'm very aware of it, however I make a conscious effort to listen to it, too. I found restriction very early on (for which I'm thankful), so there's no guessing when I'm full or had enough. My band tells me immediately.

I'm definitely a happy bandster :)

My band is definitely the boss in our relationship, it does not allow me to eat in the morning, and I have to listen to it all day and eat when it decides the time is right or I suffer badly with sickness, pain and just very very uncomfortable :wacko:

Good luck with your journey when it begins

x

Great words, too many people think the band is an "easy button." It is a TOOL, just like a treadmill, it won't do a dang thing for ya unless you respect it and learn every day how to use it for YOUR benefit. I see so many people complaining that their doc is to blame. People that is just like blaming the maker of your treadmill for not helping you lose weight when you never step one foot on it.

Research. Research. Research.

I have to agree... I have had some complications because I didn't listen to the band. It was telling me it was too tight but I thought .. "oh .. i'll just lost a little extra a little faster by leaving it tight" - WRONG!! I lost weight alright but in the end the band won the battle... I recently had to have a second surgery because of a slip - this time around the Band will be the Boss (to use your words) and it will guide me ... like Knaroz said it's a tool for weight loss not the easy button.

I have to agree... I have had some complications because I didn't listen to the band. It was telling me it was too tight but I thought .. "oh .. i'll just lost a little extra a little faster by leaving it tight" - WRONG!! I lost weight alright but in the end the band won the battle... I recently had to have a second surgery because of a slip - this time around the Band will be the Boss (to use your words) and it will guide me ... like Knaroz said it's a tool for weight loss not the easy button.

Interesting....many thanks for sharing your experience Amanda. You are a brave woman and we thank you for your insights on all of our journey's.

Great thread! I darted the journey to get my band after a major heart yo heart with my brother. He had been successfully banded 7 years prior. He said what he loved about the band saving his life was also that he no longer felt he was a slave to food. Even though he admits that he has to think more about and plan better for food! It is now that it is proactive thinking and planning instead of reacting yo emotions,hunger, etc.

Best of luck yo you

Hmm. My experience is different. The band doesn't tell me anything and most of the time I can't even tell it's there. I have to measure my portions and only eat that much and no more. I want to eat more and I spend a lot of time thinking about food but I know I won't lose weight unless I do the one-cup a meal rule that my doctor advises.

The only time my band tells me anything is when I take a big bite of something and don't chew it into little bits. Since I usually cut up my food into little pieces ahead a time, this is not such a problem anymore.

I am fairly new and only have 2cc in my band at this time, so I can't say it really talks to me at this point.

I consciously plan meals/weigh foods/log food to make sure I am on track. I have definitely had a couple times when I felt restriction, so I know it will come soon enough (I'm thinking 5cc or so... I hope).

Like it was mentioned earlier, the band is a tool and I will be happy when it's chugging along. I definitely eat less than before banding, but I have to say that to this point I have been the reason I have lost almost 40 pounds due to exercise and food tracking.

I would make the decision to get the band in a heartbeat if I had to do it again.

Hmm. My experience is different. The band doesn't tell me anything and most of the time I can't even tell it's there. I have to measure my portions and only eat that much and no more. I want to eat more and I spend a lot of time thinking about food but I know I won't lose weight unless I do the one-cup a meal rule that my doctor advises.

The only time my band tells me anything is when I take a big bite of something and don't chew it into little bits. Since I usually cut up my food into little pieces ahead a time, this is not such a problem anymore.

Now that is interesting....I would assume and think....that a tool such as this....you are very aware of eating too much food...because of past stuck episodes. I've heard its kind of painful if you eat too much....as their is pain in your chest area. I've heard its not fun at all either.

Regardless....its interesting you say...your basically even not aware of your band when you eat. For many...the fear of getting stuck or throwing up to many times. SIDE NOTE: many fear of throwing up multiple times because it increase the slippage rate the more you throw up.

Thoughts?

Great advice ! I'm 1 month banded 3.5 cc in my 14 cc band.so I'm still interpreting and we are still bonding but I will be mindful as I find the greenzone ! Thank u !