Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Drink Ensure "high Protein" During Their Liquid Diet?

My doctor has told me to buy something called "Slim Time" for my 2 week liquid diet. The stuff costs $189 for a 2 week supply. :blink:

I found the nutrition information for the stuff on the manufacturer website and compared it to the nutrition information for Ensure "high protein" and found that there does not appear to be a hill-of-Beans difference between the two products. However, the Ensure only costs about $90 for a 3 week supply. :rolleyes:

Anyone drink Ensure during the liquid diet phase??

I do drink it now, unfortunatly they didnt make it when I did my pre diet surgery. I will tell you another good one to try is the ones from costco. They come in cartons and 30 grams of Protein in them and is cheaper than the insure's. They are about $25.00 for a case of 18

Last time I checked ensure was way too high cal and too high carb. I don't know if they changed it. Isn't ensure made more for elderly people who don't get in enough calories?

I didn't have to do that type of pre-op diet (I did Atkins for 2 weeks). I know for the post op shakes they told me to stay under 150 calories and above 15g Protein. I don't remember the carbs, I would have to look it up.

Volume for volume, the Ensure had 5 fewer calories, 2 fewer grams of Protein, 2 fewer grams of carbohydrate and the same amount of fat. The Vitamins and other nutrients were almost identical, as well.

There are too many carbs in the Ensure. I can't seem to find the carb info for the other shake. The Premier Nutrition chocolate shakes from costco have high Protein and low calories/carbs/sugar/fat.

Ensure high Protein is 230 cals for 12 g of protein which seems high to me.

Muscle Milk Light or Premier brand Ready to drink have much better numbers. Yes Premier you have to buy at costco but I find the membership price worth it. I buy Premier post op for fills and for my prework out snack (I have a long time between lunch and dinner (sometimes 8-9 hours). Also great Soups for post op and fills, great ready made roasted chicken (large size and 4 bucks cheaper than the grocery store), great prices on walnuts, berries and fruit.< /p>

I am currently on my 4th day of liquid diet...my doctor recommended not to drink ensure...I have probably tried 10 different shakes but i didnt like any...the one i like best is carnation instant Breakfast ( she recommended those) also to get more Protein in day i bought special k Water flavors with protein.

My doctor has told me to buy something called "Slim Time" for my 2 week liquid diet. The stuff costs 189 for a 2 week supply. :blink:

I found the nutrition information for the stuff on the manufacturer website and compared it to the nutrition information for Ensure "high protein" and found that there does not appear to be a hill-of-Beans difference between the two products. However' date=' the Ensure only costs about 90 for a 3 week supply. :rolleyes:

Anyone drink Ensure during the liquid diet phase??[/quote']

Premier protein- 160c, 30g Protein, 3g fat, 3g carb, 1g sugar. I like both the chocolate & vanilla. You can get them from costco or SAMs and they are surprisingly very good!

My doctor has told me to buy something called "Slim Time" for my 2 week liquid diet. The stuff costs 189 for a 2 week supply. :blink:

I found the nutrition information for the stuff on the manufacturer website and compared it to the nutrition information for Ensure "high protein" and found that there does not appear to be a hill-of-Beans difference between the two products. However' date=' the Ensure only costs about 90 for a 3 week supply. :rolleyes:

Anyone drink Ensure during the liquid diet phase??[/quote']

Premier protein- 160c, 30g Protein, 3g fat, 3g carb, 1g sugar. I like both the chocolate & vanilla. You can get them from costco or SAMs and they are surprisingly very good!

I'm heading in to surgery tomorrow and I was on the ensure with high Protein per my doctor and I lost 13 lbs in two weeks. The high protein only comes in two flavors which are chocolate and vanilla but don't taste to bad at all.

Slim Time is sold by Minogue Medical and is supplied to them by a company called "Bartiatrix". It is supposed to be formulated specifically for those who are on what is called a "very low calorie" diet for weight loss before bariatric surgery. I got the idea to compare the nutrition information for Slim Time with Ensure because it is also often "prescribed" by doctors (although for different reasons). At any rate, I was surprised to see just how close the nutrition information really was. Three shakes per day works out to be something on the order of 700 calories. I am supposed to eat steamed veggies with a low glycemic index to fill in the remaining 200 calories that I am supposed to be getting during the 2 week pre-op diet. No butter or sauces..... yuck!! :blink: hahaha.... I have asked the clinic about Ensure and am waiting for them to get back to me. I will soon see what they have to say, I suppose. I suspect that Slim Time will be preferred (I think it is thicker), but that Ensure will be an acceptable substitution.

md finch.... I would be so happy if I lost a little on the pre-op diet!! I am glad to hear that you did so well.

Oh..... Good luck in surgery, by the way!! I bet you are all finished by the time you get around to reading this!! Please let us all know how things went!! :)

Oh..... Good luck in surgery' date=' by the way!! I bet you are all finished by the time you get around to reading this!! Please let us all know how things went!! :)[/quote']

Ask about these shakes-

Yes... I have looked at the costco here in Saskatoon and they do not have the shakes that several of you have mentioned. It must be because I am up here in Canada or something.... :( Thank you all for offering up suggestions, however. We are spending a lot of money on travel and lodging for the surgery. Having to buy the rather expensive Meal Replacement is just pushes us over the top financially at the moment. If there is something cheaper that I can substitute, I will. I will let you all know what my clinic has to say about Ensure. I will be surprised if they have a huge problem with it.

Yes... I have looked at the costco here in Saskatoon and they do not have the shakes that several of you have mentioned. It must be because I am up here in Canada or something.... :( Thank you all for offering up suggestions' date=' however. We are spending a lot of money on travel and lodging for the surgery. Having to buy the rather expensive meal replacement is just pushes us over the top financially at the moment. If there is something cheaper that I can substitute, I will. I will let you all know what my clinic has to say about Ensure. I will be surprised if they have a huge problem with it.[/quote']

You should ask the store manager at costco if they would consider ordering it... Alot of times the mgr will order the product - the one i went to only had chocolate and i asked about the vanilla and they ordered it. Its worth a tru! Not sure if it's a Sams club there but they also sell it.