Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Erosion/deterioration And Esophageal Cancer?

Hi Everyone!

My surgery was just scheduled for May 3, 2012! I'm very excited and also a bit nervous. Some things were brought to my attention and I wanted to ask and see if you all can maybe bring me some relief and ease my mind!

I have heard and also read on the internet that there are a lot of cases where within 1-5 years people are having to have their bands removed due to erosion and deterioration? and also that due to the constant pressure of the band on the esophagus are getting cancer of the esophagus? Is this true? Do any of you know of any of these things happening or has it happened to any of you? Also I'm worried that the band might not actually be long term...any thoughts on that? I am a bit on the worried side right now! Any information or advice on these issues are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Andriea

If you research you will see that most erosion comes from excessive pressure placed on the band from over eating. As far as esophageal cancer goes I doubt that is from the band many people get it from having barretts esophagus which comes from years of acid reflux. Not from the band. Thats all I can say.

I just did some reading and found just the opposite:

"Obese people are six times more likely to have esophageal cancer than people who are not obese. Studies suggest that men whose fat is concentrated in the abdominal area are at greater risk of developing esophageal cancer."

Everything I'm reading states obesity as greatly increasing the risk of it. I found some blogs about it in Lap Band patients but no actual medical documentation. (and I put no merit in blogs whatsoever).

If I had to guess, based on what I've just read, that people getting it with Lap Band are because of being obese not the Lap Band, it just so happens the Lap Band draws attention to it sooner.

Thank you Mis 73 and Sanction. I have been a little concerned and wanted to ask. Kind of scary thinking about all of it. Especially since I will be going in for surgery here in a few weeks. Want to make sure I know absolutely anything and everything that could possibly happen or that I might have to deal with. I know it does say that at some point the band may have to be removed. I'm just really hoping that won't be the case at all! And I'm praying that I won't have any complications either! Really hoping this will last long term for me :-) Thank you all again so much!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 1 reply
      1. kezbeth

I may have to have gall bladder surgery during my weight loss surgery. Not thrilled about it either but do not want 2 recovery times. Just want it over with.

Thanks for your post. I may need to rethink my decision... :(

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches