Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Could Really Turn Back Time, Would You Get Banded Again??

Please be honest and realistic. I am so on the fence, I need and want to lose weight, but wow! I never imagined in would be SO much work with this tool called Lap Band...and to have to do it everyday for the rest of my life? I need to make a decision! I've been on a million diets, but I've never eaten so slowly and such small bites, that concerns me as much as anything.

Would YOU really do it all over again?? Hindsight is 20/20. What do you think??

Honestly, and so far...yes...It is hard, but I thought the same as you, "frig" here I am calorie counting again, watching my Protein again, having to excersize again , taking these wee little bites...on a normal diet..at some point I would feel starved and jump off the cycle..and then restart with maybe 5 pds more, and feel devistated...This time, it will be different..If I get starved, I can get a fill!! I have not had one yet, but even if the weight comes off slower than normal, who cares, I get what I put in!! Seriously for me, I joined this group just about 6yrs ago....and in that 6 yrs I have seen my weight go up and down and have felt so miserable, I have given up so much of my life to hide, but I kept thinking I can do it this time, and ended up back on my face....I dont want to do it anymore!!! I still have along way to go, but I want this to work, and when I feel really hungry, I will get a fill, and then I will get another, but as long as I am working on it!!!!!

In a heart beat! I'd turn the clock back 10 years and do it all over again (8 years sooner). I have had very few, if any problems. You will learn to eat the right way and them little bites will just seem normal. I eat small bites and it takes me forever. I get full on a cup of food and it took a long time but I feel the satisfaction on that one cup of food I felt before after eating 2 plates of food. I struggle with "snacking" still but I work it into my "calories" and it all seems to work for me.

Keep up the battle, soon it will feel normal!

I would say YES do it. I had mine done June 2, 2012 will be 2 years. I have lost 40 pounds, I eat really fast. I don't know how to stop it but on my iPhone there is a apt called bite buddy or eat slower pro. They work when I use them. Just a thought.

Yes! I have lost over 90 lbs. I was banded at 21 cause I wanted to make this change for life. I used a student loan to pay for it which I will be paying off for years but I love being called healthy and even skinny. I love the fact that I workout now and don't feel like I am starving trying to lose weight. I am training for my first 5k which I could never had done at 300lbs

Definitely would do it again. I am one year out and down 58k (about 130 pounds). The only times I have difficulties is when I forget to eat slowly. This week I have had viral gastro and ended up at hospital because I was worried about my band - apart from being so sick, all was good.

generally speaking, my quality of life is vastly improved so I would have no hesitation in doing it all again.

Ive been banded for 6 months an finally got to restriction. I LOVE IT!!! i do count cals on my phone so no biggy there an i get full off a few bites maybe 1/2 cup fills me.

But there is no way i can eat fast i try to eat slow but if that old habit sneaks up the pressure in my chest lets me know I not my band did something wrong.

I sm just banded. It is a physical and emotional change. My problem is I can eat alot. It will be a tool to help me change my habits.

I chose the band because it was cheaper and I did not want to die during a complicated surgery.

Ive been banded for 6 months an finally got to restriction. I LOVE IT!!! i do count cals on my phone so no biggy there an i get full off a few bites maybe 1/2 cup fills me.

But there is no way i can eat fast i try to eat slow but if that old habit sneaks up the pressure in my chest lets me know I not my band did something wrong.

Thanks to all who responded. What do you mean by "finally got to restriction"? Is that the green zone or you reached your goal weight or what?

Totally...100% yes..I love this! It's only been 7 months but I feel so good. I love not being hungry and feeling motivated to go to the gym. I have lots of stress with school, work, kids and family but I no longer eat out of frustration and stress. I now think before I do anything and I truly can't get crazy with the nonesense eating. Love, love, love it!!

I would do it again. I am 7 months out & down about 73 lbs. - 50 +- to go. Had single incision, no scars, went right home. No problems, hair loss, etc. I do recommend following Drs instructions, accepting new behaviors & getting therapy if you need it. I was self-pay and have not had one regret. However, you must be ready, willing & able to follow the rules almost all of the time.

All the best to you!

Please be honest and realistic. I am so on the fence' date=' I need and want to lose weight, but wow! I never imagined in would be SO much work with this tool called Lap Band...and to have to do it everyday for the rest of my life? I need to make a decision! I've been on a million diets, but I've never eaten so slowly and such small bites, that concerns me as much as anything.

Would YOU really do it all over again?? Hindsight is 20/20. What do you think??[/quote']

Yes....I am 4 years out, diabetic free, lost 65 lbs. Yes the band is a lifetime commitment. Got to eat slowly from now on. Why does small bites and slow eating concern you?

Please be honest and realistic. I am so on the fence' date=' I need and want to lose weight, but wow! I never imagined in would be SO much work with this tool called Lap Band...and to have to do it everyday for the rest of my life? I need to make a decision! I've been on a million diets, but I've never eaten so slowly and such small bites, that concerns me as much as anything.

Would YOU really do it all over again?? Hindsight is 20/20. What do you think??[/quote']

A little over a year after surgery, I've lost 82 pounds and 4 dress sizes. I have no more acid reflux, back pain, or high cholesterol. My PCOS is practically nonexistent. I feel more comfortable in my own skin and I'm gaining self esteem that I've never had before. I've lost count of how many compliments I've received from family and friends.

Would I do it again? Without question. Tomorrow, if I had to.