Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anybody pass on getting 1st fill??

Hi,

I am one month banded and have lost 22 lbs. My physical therapist said that if I can continue to lose and monitor my food intake, then I would be better off to not get a first fill (due in 3 weeks). He said as long as I was losing then it would be to my advantage to not be so restricted if I was still doing good. Has anyone done so well that you didn't get your first fill and prolonged it just by following good diet, exercise??? Boy it seems like that would be nice....:eek:

Yes, I have not had a fill yet. My Dr. said if I am still losing I do not need a fill. I am 5months out I have lost 48 lbs and I am happy. My good friend has lost 82 lbs in 9 months without a fill. If I stop losing or gaining I will get a fill but, if I lose 1 pound a week l will stay as I am. Hope you have all the success in the world.

Kathy:clap2:

Me too. I skipped the first fill. Mostly because I was really scared to do it. I lost 38 lbs. in the first 6 weeks and my surgeon said I did not need it. I was doing fine without it. I, of course, eventually started getting fills and now live happily at my sweet spot.

By all means, wait until you need to before you start getting your fills. But just keep in mind that if you have the VG band it can take several fills to reach your "sweet spot" or really good restriction.

Keep up the good work!:clap2:

There is no rule that says you have to get your first fill at 6 weeks post op..the 6 weeks post op is only there because that is as soon as most doctors will give you a first fill. If you are losing on a steady basis 1-3 lbs a week, there is no need to get a fill at 6 weeks post op. I did not have my first fill until almostthe 10th week post op.

No need to rush it..this is a journey..the longer you can go without a fil lthe better longevity of your band is how I see it. Don't mess with success, like the saying goes..if it aint broken, don't fix it. Get your first fill after you have seen a plateau for a couple of weeks with no weight loss andwhen you see yourself being able to eat more.

Here is a good site for fills

http://lapbandtransformation.com/Adjustments.htm

Good Luck and congrats on the 22 lbs..you are off to a great start :eek:

No fill for me. I was banded December 12, 2005. My weight loss has been slow but that is probably because I was drinking Starbuck's coffee. Then after the Starbucks I think I dropped my caloric intake too low for my body.

I don't plan to get one becasue of a number reasons:

1. Money

2. Scared of complications and then have to return to the doctor and pay more money.

3. Scared of too much restriction and then have to remove my band.

4. Scared of too much restriciton and then have erostion

5. Heck, just plain ol'e scared!

6. Self pay - so if there are any complications there isn't any money lef.

i would get the fill when the weight loss stopped.. i did get mine after 6 weeks cause, i felt i could still eat way too much.

hope it helps.