Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Quickly Can I Expect To Lose The Weight?

Hi,

I am finally figuring out the band --- finally in the 'green zone' and eating right and healthy and high Protein low carb. Just wondering, for those who have lost loads of weight, how long did it take you? I'm just trying to set realistic goals.

Thank you!

I'm not in the green zone yet, but I started dieting and exercise 6 months prior to surgery and in 11 months, I've lost 80 pounds. 33 of those pounds were lost post-surgery (Oct 2011) and the rest was between April and October of last year. At the beginning when I first drastically reduced my caloires and began exercising, I lost around 10 pounds per month. After the first 6 months, it slowed a bit and I know loose about 6-7 pounds a month. My doctor is happy with anything between 1 and 2 pounds weight loss per week. My goals are set up to lose 6 pounds a month just to be conservative. Once I hit the green zone, I hope to lose closer to 8 pounds a month.

Good luck to you!!

Hi,

I am finally figuring out the band --- finally in the 'green zone' and eating right and healthy and high Protein low carb. Just wondering, for those who have lost loads of weight, how long did it take you? I'm just trying to set realistic goals.

Thank you!

Is your banding date correct? How much have you lost so far?

Most people will say they are pleased with their results after one year, 12 months, whether they are at their goal or not.

Realistically, your Dr. will tell you 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 lbs per week is good, and expected if you're on a good program all around.

So lets say 2lbs per week. Times 4 would be 8 lbs per month, times 12 would be 96 lbs /year.

Would you be happy with that? I know a lot of people who would be.

Of course, you could loose more, or you could, like me, plateau for 2-1/2 months and loose/gain the same 5 lbs over and over again.

Also they say, the more you have to loose, the faster you'll loose, initially. You'll hear about people dropping 40-60 lbs without much of a fill. But what did they start at? 60 lbs to one person can be another person's 20 lbs. It took me 12 months to loose 80 lbs. Some people do that in 1/2 that time.

Also, the closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to loose. I have been loosing app. 2 lbs per month now, but I'm already at my goal, so this is a little bonus. But I'm considering a unfil to slow even that down.

I cant wait for the day I need to consider an unfill because I'm loosing too much weight! I bet that feels good!

I cant wait for the day I need to consider an unfill because I'm loosing too much weight! I bet that feels good!

I was fine for months where I was at...7cc's. He recently gave me 1/2cc more, just as an experiment to see what would happen. Even though we both agreed I really did not need it and I was doing fine in the Green Zone.

But I was stuck in a plateau, was not loosing any more. We were not sure if I was indeed finished loosing, or just stuck.

1/2cc did kick me into loosing another 10lbs, but now it has stopped again. So I am satisfied with were I am at.

Lets take that 1/2cc out and see what happens the other way

I guess this is what they call maintenance. A little tweak here and a little tweak there.

I'm 9 months out and and 114 down but from what i hear that is probably too quick. I'm definitely slowing at this point - but still losing. I have not exercised much at all this entire time and need to step it up to lose these last 20-30 pounds to then maintain at goal. BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL ON OUR JOURNEYS!!!

I was 415 when I started my pre-op diet on May 9th, 2011 and I was 293 when I weighed in last week. So that is just over 120 pounds in 11 months. But I still have another 90+ to go. It really does depend on where you are starting and how much you have to lose. Good luck!

wow Jen, that's amazing!! Congrats on your success!

I have heard of people sticking to strict low calorie diets (800) until they hit goal. Specifically, there is a lady on youtube who had approx 100 to lose and lost it in 7 or 8 months. She did exercise as well.

I personally am not going to starve myself and will just go with the flow. I'm not racing to the end here, but am hoping to be near goal in a years time. I have about 80 more to lose til then, so it's about 6.5lb a month.

My journey went like this:

Started at 245lb give or take, BMI of 36. No preop diet for me.

Got banded in 2005 with old 4cc lapband, had superb restriction without fill for about eight weeks.

Dropped close to 40lb in that eight weeks absolutely effortlessly.

Weight loss then slowed, appetite returned, had fills approx every six to eight weeks fir the following nine months, dropped another 30 to 40 lb in nine months - all along I could eat readonably well, red meat, smll quantities of bread, rice and Pasta were on my menu.

So all up, lost somewhere between 70 and 80 lb in th first year bringing me into norml weight range.

Over the next year I dropped another 20 lb, bringing me yo a BMI of about 22.

Over the next two or three years I lost another 10 or so, probably had three small top up fills in that time.

So I was very lean when I gad a cancer diagnosis, treatment saw me drop another 20, making m officially underweight, ll better now, gained 10of that back but am staying righ here at a BMI of 20. Im tall, fine boned and lightly muscled, it is not in my genetic make up to be curvy, on m body fat is fat is fat. Very thin is right for me. It took me only a year to get healthy, it took me three to look how I wanted, wear a bikini, skinny jeans.

wow, im so glad to read that some of you who started at higher weights, have lost so much in one year. I know each of us are different, and if i dont lose at the same rate, not to be discouraged. I started at 356 the day i met the surgeon, 1/26/12 I have been dieting and working out ever since, but no budge on the scale..i have lost a few inches tho. I have set a goal of 75 lbs for my first year and a total of 156 over all. obviously at only 5'1, 200 lbs will still be heavy for me..but its a realistic goal for me to start with, and once i reach that, then ill set another one.

Hearing about the stories on here..makes me realize that my year goal is verrry doable.

wow, im so glad to read that some of you who started at higher weights, have lost so much in one year. I know each of us are different, and if i dont lose at the same rate, not to be discouraged. I started at 356 the day i met the surgeon, 1/26/12 I have been dieting and working out ever since, but no budge on the scale..i have lost a few inches tho. I have set a goal of 75 lbs for my first year and a total of 156 over all. obviously at only 5'1, 200 lbs will still be heavy for me..but its a realistic goal for me to start with, and once i reach that, then ill set another one.

Hearing about the stories on here..makes me realize that my year goal is verrry doable.

Yes, your goal is doable. The more you weigh, the faster you should lose as well. So, those people who get banded with 50-75 to lose take a longer time to lose 50 or 75 than does someone like myself who had 110 to lose. Of that, I have already lost 30, but still have about 80 to go.

I was banged in dec of 11 so its been about for and a half months. I have lost 25 pounds so far. My starting weight was 233 I'm down to 207. Had my second fill about a month ago and I finally feel like my band is working and it defiantly reminds me if I'm not fallowing the rules. I am loosing right about two potions a week now. I don't know if this is normal but I am very happy with two potions a week. Hopefully I can keep it up. I have been doing just light exercise 2 or 3 times a week so I need to do more but out is hard to get motivated.