Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one knows???

I have posted a few times about my issue and no one seems to ever have experianced what I am going through, that is a good thing for all of you. It is soooooo freak'n painful to eat. This has been going on for like 2 months now, even Water is like swallowing a rock. It used to be that if I wasn't eating i felt normal but now even when i dont attempt to eat or drink I have a constant headache that comes( as silly as it sounds) from my throat. I have been to the doctor several times, just did the barium test and awaiting results.They dont have any idea what it might be??? But I have not eat'n in a week, just broth 1 time a day, and water and OJ. I am miserable!!! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT IT MIGHT BE??? IM SO AFRAID ITS IRREVERSABLE AND IS MAKING ME REALLY DEPRESSED THAT I DID THIS TO MYSELF!!!

When were you banded? Have you had any fills? That's helpful info...sometimes if you put those things in your signature, it's easier for folks to look and get some ideas about your problem. I have a few ideas, other than getting an unfill.

Suck on a Tums every once in a while to eliminate excess acid.

Do a search on "Esophogitis" or "Esophagitis". If you need help doing a search, holler.

Sip slower, in smaller amounts at a time.

Hang on, you will get to the bottom of this. Hand over some more info, though, and we'll toss around some ideas.

I'm not banded yet, but can only imagine what you are going through. It is a scary journey to take alone, but I'm sure there are some great people on here that have probably been right where you are. Perhaps you are very swollen. You will probably feel better when you have the barium swallow. I think it must scare everyone a little to know they have changed their body and their eating habits. I know it is going to scare me, and I'm probably going to regret it for a week or two, but everyone here seems to come around and is happy with their band. There are problems that you read about, and I surely hope you aren't one of these, but try and think positive thoughts for now until someone who knows more than me can help you out. Have faith that you made the right decision and you are just going through a tough time. I've heard people suggest warm liquids, perhaps that would help.

It sounds like Kathy and Dody have some great ideas!

Without the information...

If you are freshly post-op or fill- some people have a lot of luck with a heating pad. It loosens and relaxes the muscles that seize up after being 'screwed around with'. Hope you are not dangerously dehydrated at this point. Stay close to the phone, K?

Your test results on your "swallow" should have been given that moment. I was actually able to watch & the doctor walked me through each step assuring me all was good. So I am confused as to why your waiting for results on a simple barium swallow? It could be as simple as needing an unfill. Or maybe your not filled yet & are horribly swollen from the surgery? The only info you gave was that its been 2 mnths. It may be that your band placement is not right/too high on the stomach & irratting the esphogus(spelling?) I would call my doctor tomorrow & demand a consult & answers. I hope your were banded local & if not hopefully can get someone local to help. What your going through is not typical & should be corrected asap. Please let us know as soon as you get soem answers, best of luck & please do not put this off any longer- demand to be seen.

Im three months into my band never been filled only because i cant eat as it is. I was banded in mExico so my barium was ordered by my pcp, I was able to watch but the doctor said i will go over them and get with your pcp.??? I will look up those that were given and see if it sounds like something i have ;-) Thanks for the encouaraging words!!

well believe it or not 3 months out could easily still be just post stress on your body & your may simply still be very swollen. I was on a post op diet for several mnths after to slowly let myself heal. When you talk w/your doctor let us know what happens. I would venture to guess that everyday will be better for you & that your just slowly healing. But write down on paper any & all questions you have for you PCP. Please make sure he / she is band knowlegable. Again good luck & take things slow:0)

You really need to be in touch with your family doctor about all this too. if you are drinking as little as you say, you are badly dehydrated and that is making everything worse. your own doctor will be able to get answers quicker than you will, and should be your advocate here. Please call him/her.

You could have a slip, a band that is the wrong size, or several other things. If you'r not getting the help you need from your own band surgeon, see another one - and quickly. You must be a good advocate for yourself here. Is your band surgeon highly-experienced?? VERY few things with the band are not quickly reversible, so don't worry about that, but you need urgent help NOW. Renee

Hello everyone, I am sooo freak'n hapy to report i got an answer today, I followed the advice of "Jack" and finally about 10 minutes ago i got a phone call from my doc!!!!

Jack said:

If it were me, I'd be sitting on the desk of the local guy until I got an answer!!

I have narrowing of the esophogus (servere) and also a severe case of reflux, reflux??? I dont feel reflux :-) Only when im puking up the small amount of ANYTHING I TAKE, lol, im on my way to the ER per doctors request to get rehydrated. Yes Im very happy that I have an explanation. and thank you to EVERYONE who encouraged me and helped me. Again, it was those words from "jack" that really made me put my foot down and get to the bottom of this, cause trust me when I first called they literally said "we are really busy right now and will call back with results" then they told me two days to a week for results, needless to say I got answers TODAY. (Im so timid but those words kept flashing in fromt of my eyes, this is my life, not theres) Thanks again Lapband family!!!

Oh you poor thing! I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I'm so glad you did what Capt'n Jack suggested, it is exactly what I would have told you to do. Here's hoping you get your answers you need, and next time, DO NOT WAIT. Be assertive in what you need. This is your health, and you have my permission to be as assertive as you need to be. (well, it isn't like you actually need my permission.) (((((hugs)))))

I would call my doctor tomorrow & demand a consult & answers. What your going through is not typical & should be corrected asap. please do not put this off any longer- demand to be seen.

Glad you have some concrete answers & can start to heal yourself. You'll be feeling better really soon.

I just have one question:(she said JOKINGLY:eek: ) what does Jack have that I don't? LOL LOL LOL :funnypost:

These symptoms were what caused me to have my band removed five weeks after it was put in. I believe my stomach and/or esophagus were damaged by even this short time. I now have GERD, and still can't swallow like before (especially dry things like pills) and have a lot of mucus in my throat and a feeling of constriction at times. I probably have an endoscopy in my future to find out what damage was done. Fluoroscopes always "looked fine" to Dr. Kuri, but both I and my regular doctor noticed that the esophagus was quite noticeably narrowed on the later fluoroscope compared to the immediate post-banding picture. Dr. Kuri was/is no help at all in this matter, and it was probably the undiagnosed GERD that caused the esophageal irritation and narrowing (if that's in fact what I have). I am so angry that the Kuri team keeps telling me that nothing is wrong, and that if something is it's surely a problem I had before the band. HA! I didn't have these problems before the band and I sure wish I had never had it put in. My medical insurance covers hospitalization only, so am looking at literally thousands of dollars of out of pocket expenses for diagnostic testing. Is anyone else ANGRY?

What are the doctor's recommendations as to how to reverse the reflux and esophageal narrowing? And who was your surgeon?

Hi There,

I just joined the group and read your post. My mom had bypass done in 2003. She went through a period of considerable pain during and after eating(way post op). It was to the point she thought se was having a heart attack or something. She went to her regular doctor, and come to find out she had a bacteria infection in the stomach. which had nothing to do with the surgery. She took antiboitic and was better. Maybe they can check you for an infection.