Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Onderland, 4 Months, And 60 Pounds!

I have to say, I am simply amazed by this journey thus far! I wanted to post my story (in a condensed version) for those of you who are thinking about getting this procedure or have just begun your journey.

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I just ate what I wanted, and enjoyed it very much. I had little to no concern about my health. I remember in middle school, I would sit in my bedroom closet just eating a can of icing. How disturbing is that?! I finally started thinking about WLS about a year ago. My highest weight was 259 LBS. Although I didn't have any health issues, I had began to miss my monthly visitor (sorry for the TMI). This really concerned me because I desperately want children in my future and I knew that the direction I was going in would make that difficult. I went to meet with a surgeon, and got the ball rolling! My insurance required that I meet with a nutrionist for 6 months before surgery. Those 6 months just FLEW by! However, I had not originally planned on getting the Lapband. My heart was set on getting the Vertical Sleeve. A week before surgery, my Insurance Cordinator gave me a call saying that my insurance will not cover that surgery as I needed to have a BMI of 50. I was really far off. However, I COULD get the Lapband. So after crying my eyes out all day, I decided that this is how it was supposed to be and I agreed to get the Lapband. It was the best decision of my life!

I stayed one night in the hospital. It was my first surgery ever, and was relatively easy. The only difficult part was that I felt more comfortable resting in a chair than I did in the bed. I did not sleep much that night. Also, the first time they got me up to walk, I thought I was going to throw up and/or pass out. It got better.

Today, it is exactly 4 months since my surgery, which I got on November 21st 2011. Today, I am exactly 60 pounds lighter. Today, I am FINALLY in Onderland (199 pounds)!! It has been simply amazing!

I have had 2 fills. My doctor decided to hold off on another one due to the amount of weight I have lost. My weight loss has slowed down a bit, but I am still losing about 2 pounds a week. I will probably ask for another fill when I see him next month.

I know everyone says this, but the band really is a tool that YOU have to use. I believe you have to want to put some effort into this before even getting the surgery or it won't work for you. Your mind has to be in the right spot. You have to WANT to change. You have to be willing to give up some of the foods you love or at least only have them on a very rare occasion. You have to be willing to work out. I guess its possible to lose weight without working out, but you will lose more slowly and you may end up looking disproportionate. Thanks to the band, better choices, and the gym, I have lost 60 pounds. I never thought I would be here. I still have 54 more pounds to lose, but I am soooo happy. I love to work out as it makes me feel so much better and I have so much more energy. I also do the Couch to 5K Program. I strongly suggest this program to anyone and everyone! Although I am only in the 4th week (9 weeks total) I am seeing an improvement. My thighs are smaller, I have lost inches, and I am more fit! Since my surgery, I have also lost 2 inches on my neck, 7 inches on my waist, and 6 inches on my hips. Oh, I also use myfitnesspal like a fantatic! Feel free to add me on there. My username is legnarevocrednu. Also, feel free to message me on here if you have any questions. Good luck to all of you on your journey! I still have about 54 pounds to lose, but I'm glad that I could finally post my story as a success!!

Thank you so much for posting. I have read so many failure posts that I sometimes get scared. I am scheduled to have surgery on 5/22/12. I am very excited and ready to make changes in my life. I really feel a strong desire to fully commit to all the rules and having foods that I may never be able to eat again does not scare me. However, I have never had long term success with weight loss so I fear messing up with the band as well. It is great to read someone else's story that struggled also and then is now doing very well. 60 LB is just amazing in that amount of time. Please continue to post your progress for everyone to see. It is exactly what I needed and wanted to read.

starting 270

surgery scheduled 5/22/12

goal 165 or less and size 10 pants!

Thank you so much for posting. I have read so many failure posts that I sometimes get scared. I am scheduled to have surgery on 5/22/12. I am very excited and ready to make changes in my life. I really feel a strong desire to fully commit to all the rules and having foods that I may never be able to eat again does not scare me. However, I have never had long term success with weight loss so I fear messing up with the band as well. It is great to read someone else's story that struggled also and then is now doing very well. 60 LB is just amazing in that amount of time. Please continue to post your progress for everyone to see. It is exactly what I needed and wanted to read.

starting 270

surgery scheduled 5/22/12

goal 165 or less and size 10 pants!

If it makes you feel better, I have never had longterm success either! I don't think I've ever stuck to a "diet" for more than a couple of weeks. I've been looking at this as a lifestyle change this time around, and have been successful. I don't feel miserable and my choices make me happy. I'm pretty confident, given your mind frame, that you will be successful as well! Best of luck!

Thank you for sharing. Makes me feel so much more confident about my decision.

Counting down now,

j~

aweomse!!!!!! I cannot wait untill im in onederland my surgery was 1 month after yours (dec 23rd) I am at 42 lbs right now and its creeping up on me :))) im so excited....

congrats again :))

Ami

I have to say, I am simply amazed by this journey thus far! I wanted to post my story (in a condensed version) for those of you who are thinking about getting this procedure or have just begun your journey.

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I just ate what I wanted, and enjoyed it very much. I had little to no concern about my health. I remember in middle school, I would sit in my bedroom closet just eating a can of icing. How disturbing is that?! I finally started thinking about WLS about a year ago. My highest weight was 259 LBS. Although I didn't have any health issues, I had began to miss my monthly visitor (sorry for the TMI). This really concerned me because I desperately want children in my future and I knew that the direction I was going in would make that difficult. I went to meet with a surgeon, and got the ball rolling! My insurance required that I meet with a nutrionist for 6 months before surgery. Those 6 months just FLEW by! However, I had not originally planned on getting the Lapband. My heart was set on getting the Vertical Sleeve. A week before surgery, my Insurance Cordinator gave me a call saying that my insurance will not cover that surgery as I needed to have a BMI of 50. I was really far off. However, I COULD get the Lapband. So after crying my eyes out all day, I decided that this is how it was supposed to be and I agreed to get the Lapband. It was the best decision of my life!

I stayed one night in the hospital. It was my first surgery ever, and was relatively easy. The only difficult part was that I felt more comfortable resting in a chair than I did in the bed. I did not sleep much that night. Also, the first time they got me up to walk, I thought I was going to throw up and/or pass out. It got better.

Today, it is exactly 4 months since my surgery, which I got on November 21st 2011. Today, I am exactly 60 pounds lighter. Today, I am FINALLY in Onderland (199 pounds)!! It has been simply amazing!

I have had 2 fills. My doctor decided to hold off on another one due to the amount of weight I have lost. My weight loss has slowed down a bit, but I am still losing about 2 pounds a week. I will probably ask for another fill when I see him next month.

I know everyone says this, but the band really is a tool that YOU have to use. I believe you have to want to put some effort into this before even getting the surgery or it won't work for you. Your mind has to be in the right spot. You have to WANT to change. You have to be willing to give up some of the foods you love or at least only have them on a very rare occasion. You have to be willing to work out. I guess its possible to lose weight without working out, but you will lose more slowly and you may end up looking disproportionate. Thanks to the band, better choices, and the gym, I have lost 60 pounds. I never thought I would be here. I still have 54 more pounds to lose, but I am soooo happy. I love to work out as it makes me feel so much better and I have so much more energy. I also do the Couch to 5K Program. I strongly suggest this program to anyone and everyone! Although I am only in the 4th week (9 weeks total) I am seeing an improvement. My thighs are smaller, I have lost inches, and I am more fit! Since my surgery, I have also lost 2 inches on my neck, 7 inches on my waist, and 6 inches on my hips. Oh, I also use myfitnesspal like a fantatic! Feel free to add me on there. My username is legnarevocrednu. Also, feel free to message me on here if you have any questions. Good luck to all of you on your journey! I still have about 54 pounds to lose, but I'm glad that I could finally post my story as a success!!

Thanks for sharing your journey thus far...an inspiring story of success. We must have been in very similar situations, as my weight loss so far and the distance I have to yet go are just about the same as you...only I am much older. And the physical challenges limit me to cardio usually 5-6 days a week.

I believe that everyone has their moment when they realize that they must do something to help themselves improve their health and wellbeing.

Wishing you...and me continued success!

I read this and so inspiring!!!! I am scheduled for my lapband 4/17 and can hardly freakin wait!!!!! I am pending my Doc office to forward all my info to insurance company. I am a bundle of emotions excited, nervous, scared...... Well just wanted to reply and congratulate you on your journey thus far!!!!!! I hope to post a similar story in a few months!!!!:-)