Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Told Mum And Brother Me Getting Lapband Yesterday And They Want Me To Cancel

Thanks DaybyDayBaby - that's some determination and strength you have there :) It makes sense to keep assessing where you're up to before rushing into something life changing. I'm going to call my co-ordinator tomorrow and I think I'm going to delay by a month just to sort my head space out, as well as get rid of this 7 week long cold and throat infection :( The stress is making me get really run down. GP told me to go on holiday - not a bad idea!

I'll ask my brother to look through some lapband information once he's calmed down through the week. I agree with you all. I don't think men understand these issues as much as women because their bodies are built to make it a lot easier for them to lose weight naturally, whereas ladies are meant to bear children and layer fat!! It's so infuriating!!! Maybe the men (dads, brothers, friends etc) in our lives are just so closed minded to think that we're just doing this to attract other men? Never thinking that we can't bare to look at ourselves in the mirror without crying.

Chris - How dare your neighbour tell her boyfriend!!! Where does it end? Who does he go on to tell after that? :( Why does she think you're doing this? This is exactly why I've only told my mum and brother, and only because I need my brother to take me to surgery and mum is next of kin.

I'm trying to look for support networks in Liverpool but no luck so far :(

Found this one for you...

Liverpool

Childwall Valley Rd

Liverpool, Merseyside, L25 2PR

liverpoolsupport@wlsinfo.org.uk

Meeting day: Tuesday Time: 6.30pm-10pm

Frequency: Monthly - Third Tuesday

Found this one for you...

Liverpool

Childwall Valley Rd

Liverpool, Merseyside, L25 2PR

liverpoolsupport@wlsinfo.org.uk

Meeting day: Tuesday Time: 6.30pm-10pm

Frequency: Monthly - Third Tuesday

Woah there!!! Thank you :D How did you find that? I've been looking for hours... I obviously need to improve my researching skills!

I hear ya, I had only told a few people from work, whom I work with everyday, and I had to go to one of the other offices where once of supervisors saw me, asked if I was dieting or? I said I got lapband and she said oh you cheated, man the fire in my eyes must of scared her, then like 2 weeks later she calls and asks me how much weight had I lost now. She said "we were talking about it in the office" and I let it go, but it felt like she was pumping me for information and she said Im asking for so n so. I said she can call me or email me. I then told her how someone had come into the office and made a point of coming to my desk and asking me so you had that operation, you look good. She said oh I was just talking to girls in office. Someone from that same office called later on and I asked her if she said something. She said oh yea she was talking to everyone and telling us you had lost alot of weight. What a witch, next time she calls Im not gonna say nothing, I thought she honestly wanted to know, but she just wanted gossip.

some people think they have to put their stamp of approval on other's lives. You tell who you want and if they don't like it, then they aren't really thinking of your welfare.

I googled wls and the word 'support'. It lists ones round the country but my local one isnt on there. Only that group came up xx It looks like most are set up by patients having surgery at nearby hospitals. The group I'm going to tomorrow night is similar but there are members who have travelled abroad for their surgery. xx nite xx

Some women are just so vicious, especially in the office environment! There is absolutely no need for that kind of child like behaviour. We can only assume she's insecure about how she looks, and is jealous about your progress!! Keep your head held high until the finish line when you can wipe the floor with her catty remarks and gossiping!

I'm not going to tell anyone else. I've requested holiday leave from work, although part of me thinks I'm being stupid and should take it as sick leave as I don't get much time off to myself on holiday as it is! I guess I have the option of providing our HR department with a sick note but it's tricky as I would like the reason to remain hidden from everyone to avoid gossip and bitching.

Oh for a life where we can just click our fingers and everything is magically fixed.

Talking of work, I'm off to bed! Ho hum :) Nah night everyone xxx

Let me start of by saying that it sounds to me that you already know this is the rite thing to do, because of the Health Issues. That's a start. Depression can come from being Obese, it is tied in to the Hormones, which are out of whack, thus you have depression. This will improve if this is the reason for Depression. Your Surgeon knows all about this...

As far as Family, Friends, Workers. Its none of their business, its your business only. If you choose to tell a bunch of people, and they cut you down for doing it, then its your own fault. Most people think your crazy for having anything done. Just loose weight on your own! Well, I think you no better then that.

I can't tell you to do it. You must come to grips with that. I don't know one person that didn't have the jitters though. Including me. I can tell you that it was well worth it, my health is better, and I am banded for life.

Every one that I new was against it, and now they no that they were wrong, and that even includes my husband.

I started my process to get the band in 2008! I had the 6 months visits, my psych eval, nutritionist, sleep study, everything done...but the discouragement from my family and friends kept me from having the surgery. I was miserable, I kept wishing that I had the band, it was always on my mind. Finally, in Oct, 2011, I decided I wanted it done before the end of the year. So I got back to the doctor, had a mammogram, got recent blood work done, and had my surgery on Dec 22, 2011. I am SO glad that I did. This time, I did not tell anyone except my mom (who was supportive this time) and my ex husband. AFTER I got the band, I told a few people, and one barely talks to me, but this person has NEVER had a weight issue in her life. She can want to lose 5 lbs and do it in 2 weeks.

I can tell you that I DO NOT regret having the band done. Find a close friend that you can confide in to take you to the hospital and bring you home. Many people at my work still do not know, My weight loss is slow and steady. I can eat a regular diet (although chicken and I are not getting along since my last fill, it gets stuck, so I just dont eat it). I can eat brown rice, in small quantities, most vegetables, and soft meats, like tuna. People that see me from work at lunch cannot tell a difference, it just appears that I am 'on a diet'

The ultimate choice is YOURS! Do not let other people make the decision for you. When the time is right, you will know it and it will happen. This forum is a GREAT place to meet people that are in all different stages of the band. They are all VERY helpful and friendly. If you ever need a listening ear, we are here for you. Good luck in your journey.